PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante's asking to be traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Assante's asking to be traded?

our FO better do soemthing. they overpay a slot WR who is a "decent at best" returnman and give up a 2nd rounder in procoess but we cant get $6.3 million per season to Samuel(something like that like Bly).

im very dissapointed and SAmuel has every right to be. They franchise him and seem to be lowerign his value? im very angry

More BS about Welker being ONLY a slot receiver and ONLY a decent return man. I got news for you buddy, Troy Brown was ONLY a slot receiver. Wayne Chrebet was ONLY a slot receiver. Welker is in their mold. You are fooling yourself if you believe that Welker is only DECENT at best as a return man.

I threw the stats at you that proved otherwise before and you had NOTHING to say regarding them. Like the fact that the Dolphins led the league in fair catches. That usually means that your team isn't blocking for you and the gunners are getting to you before you can do anything. Yet, Welker still put up a respectable 9.2 YPR.

And Miami's kick retunr blocking was worse than their punt return blocking.

The point is Asante is in his prime and at least a top 10 corner, if not top 5.

Um....

WHAAAAAAAT?????

I like the guy, but get real. Asante Samuel - and, people, can we please get Samuel's name correct, it's not "Asante SamuelS" (not you, VJC) - is a fine player. He had a great season in 2006. I like him. I hope we sign him. But he is not a top 5 CB. That's patently absurd.

I think both sides of this argument need to take a DEEEEEP breath.

It's not a novel idea when it's been mentioned 4 or 5 times previously already.

If you're going to be giving out 35M anyways why not pay to keep your franchise corner rather than another OLB? And no Briggs does not want to play ILB, he has been quoted as saying so. And besides it looks right now like BB is unwilling to shell out that 35M figure after the initial free agent spending spree.

FYI this draft is quite WEAK for CB's. The top CB in the draft, Leon Hall, is several notches in talent lower than Champ Bailey. And the talent is also shallow. Things get dicey after Hall. I like Revis quite a bit but he's probably going to go somewhere between 15-20 and is no sure bet. Ross, Houston, McCauley? Even lower odds although there will inevitably be a run on corners.

It's not a fair statement because Briggs is not an ILB. The talent at ILB is also weak in this draft and you don't get to the value picks till round 2-3. I'm not sold on Poz. I like Willis but you'll find plenty of his detractors as well. Beason, Timmons? Frankly, this draft looks disappointing for anything but Safeties and Wide Receivers.

Never saw the threads on Briggs, sorry, but it was mentioned that he played the middle some for Chicago and was it Kirwin who said he would make the move to the middle seamlessly (I can't recall who). If offered the NE job at ILB next to Teddy, he takes it with a vengeance! I think the whole draft is weak but thought CB was more reliable than ILB.
I like Revis and Ross, but think McCauley might be a real steal and 06 was a fluke on a very bad defense.
Player for player, Briggs is more elite (if you can use that word) than Samuel.
It's just interesting conversation.
I can understand how Samuel feels. He sees Blye and Nate C. getting the big bucks and he is impatient, as we all would be. Business dictates whoever blinks first looses. The Pats FO plays that game well but it has bit them as they misplayed the Branch deal,..... but still they come out smelling like a rose and get a #1 for a NOT elite WR (allbeit a very good one). They do not take into account that these kids are not business men and they spill the beans and use the media and fans emotions as their ally.
But....a WR is easier to replace than a decent CB on the rise.
DW Toys.

Re: Giving in to Branch w/trade has caused Asante mess now!

F--k You Asante Samuel!!!!!!!!!

I think its a real joke when fans turn on a guy they liked as soon as something like this happens its f>>k you

We need fairweather fans of players like we need Duane Starks back in the secondary-If he is still here right now on the team,which Asante is,no reason to blast him,If he goes to another team,different story.

Relax and let nature take its course.

i can, i have a faulk one aswell and this has nothing to do with me liking a asante a lot

its more of: why cant we be fair to guy who played very well this season AND plays even better in the playoffs? Is he worth top 3 CB money? Not yet but hes not even asking for that. Hes asking for a premier #2 CB money right now (Dre Bly)

\
Could you please show everyone where Samuel has come out and stated what he is looking for?

and, people, can we please get Samuel's name correct, it's not "Asante SamuelS" (not you, VJC)

I'm guilty as hell when it comes to that. Its as if I can't help myself.

Why stop there lets toss Brady, Wilkfork, Stallworth and any other player that you deem fit to suit your argument.

There are upsides to keeping Asante such as knowing the D inside and out, he is a good starter who has potential and by all accounts is a good person etc. But not having Samuels at CB doesn't kill our chances for the SB when paired with one other key injury. Did you think we had any shot of winning the SB when we lost Law for the season in 2004?

And as far as "their are no adequate Reche Caldwell versions of a cornerback that will adequately replace Samuels absence." We don't need that FA because we have that guy coming off the IR - Randell Gay. I would also toss this out there - if any team is adapt at picking up servicable DB's off the street its the Pats.

I stopped there because sadly we wouldn't need to go any further than losing one of the Linebackers. Reason is then we become weaker on pass AND run defense.

Randall Gay is a nice player, but he is far from being in Asante's league.

During our last victorious Super Bowl run, we had a Rodney is his prime, a Eugene Wilson playing some good football. In other words, at least the safeties were very good. We don't have that guarantee this year.

Listen.....We'd probably be a very competitive without him, but with Asante we'd be scary.

Last edited:
You need to look beyond the picks. If you have some of the games taped I would go back and watch him again. 3 games come to mind the Bears, Lions and Jags game he missed multiple tackles gambling for the ball including a 40 yard bomb to Bernard Berrian going for a pick instead of knocking it away, a simple in cut for a TD against the Lions - because he was more interested in what was going on in the back field instead of what his man was doing and at least two 15+ yard plays due to missed tackles because he undercut the route looking for the pick without Safety help.

He is not a top 10 CB in the NFL.

You cherrypick his worst games/plays and then make a sweeping statement that he's not a top 10 CB. Of course looking at his worse moments will make him look bad. But it's not exactly what I'd call compelling evidence. Besides in this league a corner MUST have a short memory and not let his mistakes haunt him, and just continue to play his best on a day in day out basis.

Let's not overlook his overall stats of 24 passes deflected and tied for the league lead with 10 interceptions.

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=playerbio&bio=23745

Do I think there were 10 corners in the league that amassed better defensive stats than Samuel. No. Statistics don't prove everything but Samuel has built a compelling case that he is one of the best young corners in the game, especially when you include his playoff performances.

If you're trying to rip Samuel just because you perceive him as being on the way out or you are somehow thinking that would bring his value down, I think it's a futile effort. Samuel will be demanding what today's market bears for a good young cover corner, and that happens to be a lot.

If I'm BB and I'm convinced that I am not going to shell out for Samuel, then I need to maneuver for the best deal that I can get for him. And in that situation it's actually in your best interest to talk up Samuel. The exact opposite is true if you're trying to get him to sign a reasonable deal. And right now, until we hear differently, trade is a very big possibility.

Last edited:
Sayonara. I'd settle for a 2nd and a 5th or so. 2nd and a 4th maybe.

Who cares, sayonara.

Ross, Revis both better than Samuel right out of the box, IMO.

BB is a master at picking CBs. Safety only slightly less so.

Look at what the 49ers had to throw at Clements to make him sign. Man they really screwed up the payscale with that contract.

They did that alright... I bet Asante thinks that he is in that payscale now.

NO WAY BB DOES THAT...

Mid to low 1st, with either a 2nd, 3rd, or 4th (or all of the above).

think McCauley might be a real steal and 06 was a fluke on a very bad defense.

Not to get off-topic, but McCauley was benched by his HC (BB's friend) for the last MONTH of the season. My understanding is that he's in a free-fall, possibly out of the 2nd round.

\
Could you please show everyone where Samuel has come out and stated what he is looking for?

Read what he said right here:

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10108712

This bothers me...if NE said it, then they need to put up:

Samuel's frustration goes beyond the limitations that other teams are facing in trading for him. He said that when the offseason started, the Patriots told him they would take care of him with "an elite contract." But in Samuel's opinion, no "elite contract" has been forthcoming at a time when San Francisco shelled out $80 million for free-agent cornerback Nate Clements.

Oh GOD, Asante is Deion Branch. Wasn't once enough? d%#*!@t, another greedy Branch.

I can imagine all the F''k Y''u Tom Brady posts we will have in a few years down the road if its Tom's chance to renegotiate and there are problems :rolleyes:

I stopped there because sadly we wouldn't need to go any further than losing one of the Linebackers. Reason is then we become weaker on pass AND run defense.

Randall Gay is a nice player, but he is far from being in Asante's league.

During our last victorious Super Bowl run, we had a Rodney is his prime, a Eugene Wilson playing some good football. In other words, at least the safeties were very good. We don't have that guarantee this year.

Listen.....We'd probably be a very competitive without him, but with Asante we'd be scary.

That argument could be said for any position. I agree with the statement based on the LB depth today - but we don't know what the final LB corps will look like come September.

It will be interesting to see what the Safety position looks like come September. But Harrison, Wilson, Sanders, Hawk, Scott and Gay isn't horrible. Obviously this Draft is the most likely place to get a replacement for a possible Wilson departure and/or Harrison's eventual retirement.

I dog Samuel and have since the 05 season and throughout last season - mostly because he could actually be more productive if he didn't gamble so often. I think he is a solid starter with the potential to be very good. But his value is most likely at its peak and its likely that the Pats could get over compensated for him via a trade.

Caldwell had a career year, but I still think he's going to be a perpetual space cadet. Just as you could win an easy bet Kevin Faulk fumbling every 10 to 12touches, so you could easily sense Caldwell having a drop on a pivotal 3rd down play.

Actually, Faulk doesn't fumble every 10-12 touches. His career average is 1 fumble every 57.5 rushes and 1 every 44 Punt returns/kick returns and receptions.

He has 23 career fumbles and 1163 touches. That is 1 fumble every 50 times he touches the ball.

I like what I saw out of Gaffney. I think he comes out of his breaks almost as quick as Branch did and seems to fight to make things happen after the catch.

I think he'll have another productive season, but it'll be his last with the Pats. I doubt they'll fight to hard to resign him. Come 2008-2009, especially if we win a Super Bowl, your receiving corp will be Welker, Gaffney and Jackson.

There is no telling what the 2008 season will bring in terms of receivers other than Welker and Jackson. They are the only two signed. Stallworth MAY be back, but who knows.

Oh GOD, Asante is Deion Branch. Wasn't once enough? d%#*!@t, another greedy Branch.

You can't call him greedy. Teams set the market value, not the player.

He is definitely worth as much as Dre Bly.

The Pat's aren't making too many sacrifices as the $30.00 parking and $7.00 beers will attest.

He never said he wanted to be highest paid. Just paid fairly.

........on a side note........PacMan may become available for us around week 8.

I can imagine all the F''k Y''u Tom Brady posts we will have in a few years down the road if its Tom's chance to renegotiate and there are problems :rolleyes:

We will see... never say never though; cause I was a BIG Bledsoe fan.

That argument could be said for any position. I agree with the statement based on the LB depth today - but we don't know what the final LB corps will look like come September.

It will be interesting to see what the Safety position looks like come September. But Harrison, Wilson, Sanders, Hawk, Scott and Gay isn't horrible. Obviously this Draft is the most likely place to get a replacement for a possible Wilson departure and/or Harrison's eventual retirement.

I dog Samuel and have since the 05 season and throughout last season - mostly because he could actually be more productive if he didn't gamble so often. I think he is a solid starter with the potential to be very good. But his value is most likely at its peak and its likely that the Pats could get over compensated for him via a trade.

If they can get 2 first rounders for him, I'm all for it. I just don't see that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes