PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante's asking to be traded?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've always known that Asante's agent would attempt some posturing to get a long term deal done at some point in the offseason. He'd be an idiot if he didn't and Samuel would fire him - and no other player would hire him.

They are simply cognizent of the timing issue here - that he Redskins trade with Chicago fell through but that the media still wants to talk about trading for the #6 pick... so his agent injects Samuel and the Patriots into the mix.

This is football negotiations 101 - not a surprise in the least.

That being said, I continue to have a gut feeling that says I wouldn't be surprised to see the Patriots get that #6 pick - possibly by trading both #1s.

Everyone says the Patriots would never do this because the #6 pick is too expensive and doesn't represent value.

Yeah - there were a ton of people who felt that Richard Seymour was a bust and not worth his rookie contract weren't there? BB's probably kicking himself for not trading down from #6.

Re: Assante pack your bags your going to the No Frickin Chance at a superbowl Confere

I'm not at all one of those who are thrilled at
trading an established high-grade player for a top-o-the-draft crapshoot
... but, back when Asante and Lance first were tagged (within days of each other) ...
it occurred to me
and has often recurred
that Briggs and Samuel could be traded for each other.
Kind of, Bethel and Sullivan.

With Briggs asserting that he doesn't want to play inside in a 3-4,
i presume that such an idea is DOA.
But i do take them to be comparable values.

Well the problem with this hypothesis is that BOTH of these players are looking to be PAID. If you're going to be paying out big cash to one of these guys why not pay the one that already knows your system, is young, and will be locked up for his prime years? Even if the talent is hypothetically equal I really don't see the Patriots giving out 5/35 to Briggs when they already have AD in the fold.

I think the Patriots either sign Samuel long term or they open trade talks to dealing him for a high 1st round pick or multiple picks. My personal preference is we sign Samuel. But we don't live in an ideal world.

I don't think you'd get a #1 round pick for him this season.

Although I would much rather keep Asante as he totally deserved to be a Pro-Bowler last season, I would definitely consider trading him to Tampa for both #2 picks (35 and 64).

4 picks in the first 64 would be OK with with me.

Get whatever good CB is available at 24 plus Griffin, Woodley and Harris.:)

I think I just soiled myself.

He's worth a 1st. There is a serious drought in quality corners in the NFL right now -- he doesn't need to match last year's performance to be a major upgrade at #1 CB for at least 20 teams right now.

hes overrated anyway. if hobbs, gay, poteat and company can shine on our defense who is samuel to ask for a huge contract after only 1 good season? dude lost his starting job last offseason and got lucky because gay got hurt. let him walk, i cant stand this guy anymore. acting like he just made 5 pro bowls in a row or something. go ahead, get outta here. we will be fine...id be happy with a 3rd round pick for asante. then we will have another 10 million to spend, if he leaves. sounds good to me.

He's worth a 1st. There is a serious drought in quality corners in the NFL right now -- he doesn't need to match last year's performance to be a major upgrade at #1 CB for at least 20 teams right now.

Including a team that plays in Foxboro.

We better hope AD get 20 sacks this season because if we lose Samuel, we'll need that kind of pass rush.

hes overrated anyway. if hobbs, gay, poteat and company can shine on our defense who is samuel to ask for a huge contract after only 1 good season? dude lost his starting job last offseason and got lucky because gay got hurt. let him walk, i cant stand this guy anymore. acting like he just made 5 pro bowls in a row or something. go ahead, get outta here. we will be fine...id be happy with a 3rd round pick for asante. then we will have another 10 million to spend, if he leaves. sounds good to me.

Hobbs, Gay and Poteat...?:eek:

There are offensive coordinators giving themselves hand release to that thought!

when did he lose his starting spot? he was a starter all camp long..and Hobbs was supposivly the spotlight and favorite to be #1

Caldwell beat the Chargers with his catch. If that series is not converted into a FG, Chargers win that game.
Cousins,
Take all the drops aside in the Colts game. The play that turned it still involved Caldwell. It was the NON-PIP call in the endzone on him with 3 minutes left to go. Worse call in the game including the Hobbs and Brown call. It was awful! The announcers were even mystified. I bet anything in the world if it's Harrison or Wayne in the endzone, the field would look like the laundromat exploded or Polian gets out of his box and strangles Official Chief Perella. We get the ball on the one, first down with three minutes left. If we score Peyton now has to go TD not FG and the field game changes.

I am not a Caldwell fan but he did better than expected and actually better than Branch.
DW Toys

Re: Assante's asking to be traded?

He had one good season (His contract year) and now the $7 million franchise is not good for him?

Asante see ya. Trade him for a 2nd rounder

Go from there.

A SECOND rounder....you are kidding....right?? :).....right???

Is this a roundabout way of saying that Asante is the 12th best corner in the league right now? When you factor in his age and his trend of improvement over the last 3 years and then step back and consider the situation over a 5 year commitment, Asante has to climb into the 5-7 range. Plus a shutdown corner may be the hardest position in the NFL to fill adding to his value.

And then get screw in the end with a bunch of unused cap
When did this happen? We have always used up all the cap. You've been listening to Felger too much. Felger thinks any money not spent by training camp is unused cap.

There are offensive coordinators giving themselves hand release to that thought!
they did a good job for us. there is no need for us to waste that much money on a cornerback. hobbs and gay are solid starters (need to stay healthy). we have some pretty good picks and there will be a lot of good corners available in the 2nd and 3rd round.

and i dont remember wide receivers "torching" hobbs/gay. especially not with harrison in there.

Cousins,
Novel idea. Let's trade Samuel to the Bears for Briggs, a two time Pro Bowler who will play very well at ILB, thank you. We fill our ILB need and get younger there with a established elite player. Samuel had never been to a Pro Bowl.

I have a question out there? Don't you make this trade, pay Briggs. A. Thomas type money and pick up a pair of young CB's in the draft. Now we wouldn't be desperate for a ILB. I think Briggs is worth more money. Who is the elite player, Briggs or Samuel?

Point is there are a hell of a lot more decent CBs' in the draft that ILB's who will have an impact like Briggs. Is that a fair statement?

Thoughts?
DW Toys

The problem with winning a lot of games every year is that your players look good to other teams. You can pay some guys, but some teams are just willing to pay a lot of money to get what they think is "the final piece."

Nah, I'd rather have Thomas, Stallworth, Washington, Welker, Morris and Brady than Asante. Good as he is, he won't make the difference that all those guys will make.

All the other guys you listed other than Thomas are obviously offensive guys Tom.......we NEED seasoned secondary players BAD right now....and losing Asante would hurt IMHO.....Here's the facts as I see them......Thomas and Stallworth were HUGE signings.....Welker was a very good signing.....Washington is a "question mark" as he has not done anything significant in his time in the NFL....yeah he was competing on a loaded WR team....BUT he didn't exactly rise to the top there did he? The GREAT one's make it happen regardless of the talent.....not sold on Kelley yet.....Brady is another question mark because of age and alot of miles on the odometer...this quite often spells "injury" prone at this stage of his career.....Samuels has been a damned solid player for us and if it WERE NOT for him back there this past year with Rodney and Wilson both down.....we would not have won so many games IMHO.....I think eventually the Pats are going to have to open the wallet a little deeper for certain players.....I would rather see us try to work a deal with this kid....one man's opinion....

he does make a different. We've made it far without Thomas-Stall-Washington-Welker-Morris. Samuel had a better season than all of them besides maybe Thomas.

I couldn't agree more......this kid is worth ponying up the cash for....again, without him....our secondary would have much more susceptible to getting torched......he was awesome last year....and has been really steady since we signed him here......I'm afraid that now....the way the whole thing has been done by BB and Kraft...it is TOO LATE to sign the kid....because now he is saying bad things in the press (like Ty...like Deion.....) and you know what happens to Pats players once they do that.....see ya! This is one "loss" that could seriously affect our team next year.....one man's opinion

Asante has to climb into the 5-7 range. Plus a shutdown corner may be the hardest position in the NFL to fill adding to his value.
I wouldn't exactly call Asante a shut down corner.

As far as 5-7 range, here are seven CBs I'd rate higher than him:

Chris McAlister
Champ Bailey
Nate Clements
Dre Bly
DeAngelo Hall
Antoine Winfield
Dunta Robinson

Not to say that Asante is not a good corner. He is good, and I like him a lot, and I hope we keep him, but there are a lot of Pro Bowl CBs out there.

I would not put him in the top 10, more like around 15 or so.

He will be a valuable member of the Pats, adn I hope we keep him, but let's not confuse him with Champ Bailey.

Nice! I'll take Hobbs who I think will be the best DB on the Pats roster in 07 and a healthy Gay along with and a good comp pack any day over an overpaid CB that loves to gamble without help over the top and consistently misses tackles, either because he jumped the route and got burned or because he is looking to make "Jacked Up".

I think they should trade him now while his value is at its peak and move on. He is not an elite CB in the NFL and doubt he ever will be.

I see a lot of extremes here.

Look, Asante isn't some garden-variety hack, and he's not the messiah either.

He doesn't have to be one or the other. He's a good player, and the Pats have a number they'll pay for him. Simple as that. Everything else is negotiations. Of course, there are also incentives, guaranteed money vs. APY (life of contract,) etc. These devices allow you to load risk in exchange for total dollars eventually pocketed, but everybody knows that the guaranteed money is where the hardcore negotiating is at, for the "Get Paid" set.

Maybe they make a deal. Maybe they do not. All I see is a good player that we don't want to lose. But we can move on if need be. It once again looks like that will be the case (as of this one interview... which of course, could just as likely be a tactic as an earnest declaration.)

Eh well. We'd love to see ya, Asante... but if you don't want a ring you don't want a ring.

PFnV

Point is there are a hell of a lot more decent CBs' in the draft that ILB's who will have an impact like Briggs. Is that a fair statement?

Thoughts?
DW Toys

In this defense, yes - ILB as a rookie may have too much scheming to take in - too complicated in other words - hence the pattern of signing smart, vet linebackers and not splurging for them with high draft picks. On the other hand, you tell the CB "run with this guy and don't let him catch the ball." The faster and younger and more athletic the CB, the better.

Samuels has been a damned solid player for us and if it WERE NOT for him back there this past year with Rodney and Wilson both down.....we would not have won so many games IMHO......one man's opinion....
Fair enough. Remix and others agree with you.

My opinion is that if we didn't have Samuel last year, but we did have thomas-stallworth-washington-welker-morris we would have won the superbowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back