PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Article writer thinks BOB would be a decent pick for Michigan State HC job, mentioned for one sentence in article on SI

IMO he's probably been promised the big chair in New England when BB steps down.

If nothing else, everywhere he has gone Obie has made a two year obligation to that team. Just saying...

IMO he's probably been promised the big chair in New England when BB steps down.

If nothing else, everywhere he has gone Obie has made a two year obligation to that team. Just saying...

I think Mayo was promised the Head Coaching job.

I am guessing O'Brien saw the handwriting on the wall and that Bama was going to be crap (by their standards) and got out while the getting was good.

If he was promised anything post Belichick, I am guessing it would be he would have a job like being the Head Coach of the offense where he would have total control and Mayo would be head coach and primarily focused on the defense, special teams, and overall team. We see a few of those head coaches today where they really are more glorified coordinators where they only focus on one side of the ball and lets someone else run the other side.

If Belichick retires or is fired after this season, I hope whoever they have at head coach they get someone more innovative to be OC. Mike McDaniel is a bit goofy as a head coach, but he has really transformed the Dolphins' offense into a powerhouse with a QB who really isn't much better than Mac Jones.

Didn't sound like he was a "top" candidate, more of a long shot

I guess we'll soon find out if the O'Brien 2 year rule is actually a rule or more of a guideline.

What rule? He was with the Pats the first time from 2007-2011 and Houston from 2014-2020.

I am guessing O'Brien saw the handwriting on the wall and that Bama was going to be crap (by their standards) and got out while the getting was good.

If he was promised anything post Belichick, I am guessing it would be he would have a job like being the Head Coach of the offense where he would have total control and Mayo would be head coach and primarily focused on the defense, special teams, and overall team. We see a few of those head coaches today where they really are more glorified coordinators where they only focus on one side of the ball and lets someone else run the other side.

If Belichick retires or is fired after this season, I hope whoever they have at head coach they get someone more innovative to be OC. Mike McDaniel is a bit goofy as a head coach, but he has really transformed the Dolphins' offense into a powerhouse with a QB who really isn't much better than Mac Jones.
Mayo’s not even a coordinator, not that it’s a prerequisite for the job… but he’s really inexperienced as far as head coaches go.

I understand that Mayo is the sentimental favorite, but that doesn’t make him the wise choice.

Obie has a lot of experience, has experienced a lot since he left us the first time. Give me the experienced guy.

Mayo’s not even a coordinator, not that it’s a prerequisite for the job… but he’s really inexperienced as far as head coaches go.

I understand that Mayo is the sentimental favorite, but that doesn’t make him the wise choice.

Obie has a lot of experience, has experienced a lot since he left us the first time. Give me the experienced guy.

Mayo wouldn't be my choice for head coach, but that doesn't mean he isn't Bob Kraft's choice.

I love Mayo, but I want an offensive minded head coach to be the next head coach. I want someone more innovative and in touch with the trends of today's NFL than Bill O'Brien though.

I don't think anybody has been promised anything beyond their current contracts... You gotta be nuts to think BB or the team would keep/hire a coach with that type of clause in their respective contracts... At the very least, in BoBs case, it would leave the team open for rooney rule sanctions...

I don't think anybody has been promised anything beyond their current contracts... You gotta be nuts to think BB would keep/hire a coach with that type of clause in their respective contracts...

He probably wasn’t promised out right, but that he would be given the first look. Any promises would not be in contract, but more of a verbal assurance.

He probably wasn’t promised out right, but that he would be given the first look. Any promises would not be in contract, but more of a verbal assurance.
Highly unlikely, especially for Billy

Highly unlikely, especially for Billy

I think Mayo got some assurances. He canceled interviews for head coaching jobs and you don’t cancel those even if it is a job you don’t want because it gets your name out there for future jobs.

What rule? He was with the Pats the first time from 2007-2011 and Houston from 2014-2020.

I was being somewhat facetious, was referring to O'Brien's unusual commitment to his initial contract, and that he's stayed for at least 2 years at all of his 8 stops. It was discussed that he'd be with the Patriots for at least 2 years earnestly either here or on FB.

I think Mayo got some assurances. He canceled interviews for head coaching jobs and you don’t cancel those even if it is a job you don’t want because it gets your name out there for future jobs.
You think he got assurances, I think he got cash.

I wouldn’t want to lose Obrein it would be devastating for Macs development.

I don't think anybody has been promised anything beyond their current contracts... You gotta be nuts to think BB or the team would keep/hire a coach with that type of clause in their respective contracts... At the very least, in BoBs case, it would leave the team open for rooney rule sanctions...

Nobody has been promised anything and nobody here would know. Coaches were probably given a good bump in pay to stick around but again…we don’t know.

They paid Josh more and told him Bill would include him more in the day to day operations, a day later Josh turns down the Indy job. They do the same for Mayo and Mayo let’s it be known he will not interview for head coaching jobs. My guess is BOB wanted back in the NFL, him being at Alabama he got to see up close the direction college sports is heading with NIL and the transfer portal.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back