PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Arizona Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

pats1

PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
A lot more time for the starters in this game. There will be some good tape to start watching tomorrow morning.

You can catch it all from Box and I here.

The Atlanta breakdown from last week I'm still converting into a .html file. I'll send that to PatsFans37, and hopefully it can be posted.

While the offense played very well WR still concerns me. The offense looked very dink and dunk near the beginning and there were too many times when Brady just had to eat the ball because no one could get open. It is no suprise the team didn't get ultra-agressive in preseason on offense, but I think the Pats still need at least one more viable reciever. I'm not relying on Branch coming back at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike,

I'm going to try and finish Atlanta tomorrow. If you haven't already started, I'd like to take the first three series to have my turn looking at the starters.

Box_O_Rocks said:
Mike,

I'm going to try and finish Atlanta tomorrow. If you haven't already started, I'd like to take the first three series to have my turn looking at the starters.

No problem. I took a look at the first couple of plays already, but really haven't recorded anything.

The 4th series begins with :59 seconds left in the 2nd, so IIRC correctly from last night, I'll have plenty of "starting material" to look at as well.

This team is loaded. I know its just the preseason, but without Branch, Bruschi, Seymour, and Harrison, this team just toyed with a good Arizona team.

I'm still concerned about the dearth at wideout, but considering Brady spreads the ball around (the ONE thing the commentators wisely picked up on), they just need guys who can get open.

Bottom line is with a great QB and a solid running game, a team is going to succeed. Throw in a good defense and watch out.

pats1 said:
No problem. I took a look at the first couple of plays already, but really haven't recorded anything.

The 4th series begins with :59 seconds left in the 2nd, so IIRC correctly from last night, I'll have plenty of "starting material" to look at as well.
You will indeed, I just wanted to have a close look at the "starters" for my own impressions and to begin learning mannerisms to help me identify them even when you can't pick out a number. Since your first series basically is the 2nd quarter we can make our initial division that way, and carve up the second half later. What say?

Front Page.

Who has the glue?

Defensive Series #2 Interception

Contributor: Pats1
Time: 1:04 remaining in the first quarter
Statistics: 5 plays (2 run, 3 pass), 16 yards (9 run, 7 pass), time of possession was 2:11
Breakdown: 1 green play (0 run, 1 pass) for 0 yds., 3 black plays (1 run, 2 pass) for 11 yds. (4 run, 7 pass), 1 red play (1 run, 0 pass) for 5 yds.

Kickoff: Arrington from the Ari 6 from Gostkowski, 19 yd return, Arrington is taken down by an unblocked Izzo behind the wedge.

1st and 10 Ari 25

Result: Pass, Arrington from Warner, flare right, 4 yds.
Offense: 2 WR left, 2 TE, 1 down off RT, 1 down right wing, Arrington lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, Green-Wright-Wilfork-Warren, Colvin/Gardner/Vrabel, Hobbs playing off right wing, Samuel press coverage on LWR, Wilson and Hawkins deep.
Blocking: Green is doubled by the LT and LG
Wright can’t swim around the C
Wilfork is stood up by the RG but works his way into the backfield
Warren is stood up by the RT
Coverage: Colvin jams the slot WR Fitzgerald on his quick inside hitch
Gardnerdrops back into a zone before coming up to assist on the tackle
Vrabel jams the TE Edwards for a few yards before breaking off and wrapping up Arrington after his catch on the dumpoff
Hobbs follows the flanked TE Bergen into the right flat
Samuel jams the WR Boldin on the line

Analysis: With most of his options jammed at the line, Warner’s only open man was the RB Arrington coming through the line and into the right flat. The throw was off his back foot, and might have been tipped, as both Wilfork and Warren were right in Warner’s face with hands up. Vrabel broke off his jam, and Gardner came down from a zone to stop Arrington after the catch.

2nd and 6 Ari 29

Result: Run, Arrington, up the middle, 4 yds.
Offense: 2 WR, 1 left, 1 right, TE down off LT, I-form backfield with Arrington at RB.
Defense: 4-3, Green-Wright-Wilfork-Warren, Colvin/Gardner/Vrabel, both Hobbs and Samuel press coverage, Wilson and Hawkins deep.
Blocking: Green sheds the LT overpursuing downfield to come inside and pick the pile
Wright is stood up by the LG
Wilfork is doubled by the C and RG but holds his ground
Warren is stood up by the RT
Colvin holds outside containment on the TE
Gardner meets the FB in the hole but holds his ground long enough for a pileup to start
Vrabel holds containment on the edge unblocked before Arrington commits inside and Vrabel dives on the pile

Analysis: There was no clear tackler on the play, as it looked like Arrington couldn’t find a hole and ran into his blockers to start a pileup. Wilfork and Gardner clogged the intended hole, with Gardner meeting the FB but getting pushed back by the pile en masse.

Note: End of 1st quarter.

3rd and 2 Ari 33

Result: Pass, Walters from Warner, screen left, 3 yds.
Offense: 4 WR, 1 left slot, 3 bunch right, Walters in motion right bunch to wide left, Arrington lone RB.
Defense: 3-2-6 dime, Colvin-Green-Warren, Davis showing blitz over C, Vrabel showing blitz over RT, Poteat follows Walters in motion, Samuel playing off other LWR, Wilson and Hobbs press coverage over RWRs, G. Scott (?) and C. Scott deep.
Blocking: Colvin almost gets his legs rolled on by the LT Davis, attempting a cutblock, but is forced to stop and attempt to deflect the pass
Green swims across the LG and C to no avail
Warren is stood up by the RG
Vrabel slides outside with the RT but has the RB Arrington come up and cut him down
Coverage: Davis fakes a blitz and sits a short zone
Hobbs follows the WR Fitzgerald into the right flat
Wilson bounces around but can’t get a jam on the right slot WR
Poteat picks up the left slot WR coming up the seam
Samuel was playing off on the left edge, and had to come up to make the stop on Walters, who turned and looked for the Warner pass on the snap

Analysis: Lots of shifting and motioning before the snap. Wilson was up trying to direct things after Walters went in motion. Vrabel and Davis would both show a blitz, and the defensive line shifted to accommodate Vrabel on the edge. When all was said and done, Warner had a good pocket to work with, and got the pass around Colvin’s arm and into the hands of Walters in the flat. Since Poteat followed Walters in motion but ended up taking the slot WR instead, the closest DB to the play was Samuel, playing off. He came up hard to push Walters out, but not before the first down.

Last edited:
1st and 10 Ari 36

Result: Run, Arrington, stretch play left, 5 yds.
Offense: 3 WR, 1 left, 2 right, TE down off LT, Arrington lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, Green-Wright-Wilfork-Warren, Colvin/Gardner/Vrabel, Vrabel playing off the slot WR, Samuel and Hobbs press coverage, Wilson and Hawkins deep.
Blocking: Green drags the LT Davis towards the run but can’t break off the block
Wright is stood up by the LG but eventually breaks free to help on the stop
Wilfork is disregarded on the backside, but can’t catch up to the run
Warren turns on the RT, who releases to avoid a block in the back, but can’t catch up to the run
Colvin drives the TE Edwards upfield to force a cut inside from Arrington
Gardner shadows the run from the second level but runs into the pulling C ahead of the run
Vrabel was on the backside
Samuel is sealed on the edge by the WR Fitzgerald
Wilson comes flying in and knocks Arrington off his feet with a dive tackle

Analysis: Colvin did a great job of outside containment, and forced the run back downfield where Wilson came in free to make the first hit. His tackle attempt was by no means a wrap-up, but was able to knock Arrington off his feet, leaving Wright to break off his block and fall on Arrington to record the statistical tackle.

2nd and 5 Ari 41

Result: Pass, Fitzgerald from Warner, sideline fly, INTERCEPTED by NE – Samuel at the NE 35, no further gain.
Defense: 4-2-5 nickel, Colvin-Green-Wilfork-Warren, Vrabel/Gardner, Hawkins NB playing 5 yards off slot WR, Samuel and Hobbs pressure coverage, Wilson and Sanders deep.
Blocking: Colvin fakes outside on the LT but can’t beat him inside either
Green is stood up by the LG and chipped to his knees by the RB coming through
Wilfork is doubled by the C and RG
Warren can’t get around the RT
Coverage: Vrabel sticks with the TE Edwards up through the seam
Gardner drops into a zone in the defensive left seam
Hawkins follows the slot WR on a deep fly
Hobbs can’t jam his WR at the line, but turns and chases on a sideline fly
Samuel sticks with the WR Fitzgerald along the sideline, leaping in front of the pass and intercepting it.

Analysis: The coverage was man against 4 simple deep ‘go’ routes. Samuel kept his body open to the field as he chased Fitzgerald deep and made his move just as the pass was coming straight down into Fitzgerald’s hands. He leaped forward and picked it out of the air, beginning a trek around the field that would have him tackled at the same point where he intercepted it. Samuel’s positioning on the play overcame his height disadvantage to Fitzgerald.

Note As is usually the case, Colvin was almost into the backfield by the time the rest of the line was starting up off the snap. While it didn’t amount to much on this play, I have seen his quick reactions off the snap contribute to sack or pressure in games past.

Last edited:
Jacky Roberts said:
This team is loaded. I know its just the preseason, but without Branch, Bruschi, Seymour, and Harrison, this team just toyed with a good Arizona team.

I'm still concerned about the dearth at wideout, but considering Brady spreads the ball around (the ONE thing the commentators wisely picked up on), they just need guys who can get open.

Bottom line is with a great QB and a solid running game, a team is going to succeed. Throw in a good defense and watch out.

Yeah, but can you tell me who Brady's favorite receiver is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Offensive Series #3 Punt

Time: 13:53 remaining in the second quarter
Statistics: 5 plays (2 run, 3 pass), 12 yards (12 run, 0 pass), time of possession was 1:25
Breakdown: 2 green plays (2 run, 0 pass) for 12 yds., 3 red plays (0 run, 3 pass) for 0 yds.

1st and 10 NE 35

Result: Scramble, Cassel, right tackle, under pressure, 9 yds.
Offense: 2 WR, Childress wide left, Caldwell wide right, TE Watson down off LT, I-form backfield with Mills at FB and Dillon at RB.
Defense: 4-3, SLB press coverage over Watson, CB on Childress press, CB over Caldwell 10 yards off.
Blocking: Light is brushed back by the spin move from the RDE Berry, but Dillon comes up to assist
Mankins holds his ground against the RDT Watson
Hochstein chips the RDT to Mankins before picking up the LDT Dockett from Neal
Neal forces the LDT to try inside, opening the scramble lane
O’Callaghan rides the LDE Okeafor outside
Coverage: Mills chips the RDE before heading into the left flat uncovered
Watson sheds a jam from the SLB at the line before heading up the seam
Childress and Caldwell go deep

Analysis: With all of his options deep except for both Dillon and Mills who got caught up in the line, Cassel’s best option came when the LDE and LDT went opposite directions to open up a large hole in the right side of the line. With the LBs in midfield zones, Cassel was almost able to squeeze out a first down before he himself was squeezed out of bounds. Excellent offensive line blocking against the 4-man rush.

2nd and 1 NE 44

Result: Run, Dillon, up the middle, 3 yds.
Offense: 1 WR, Caldwell wide right, 3 TE, Graham down off LT, Thomas down left wing, Watson down off RT, Dillon lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, SLB tight over 2 TE left, SS creeping up over Watson right, CB press coverage.
Blocking: Thomas was thrown back by the SLB on the backside
Graham turns inside to help Light
Light seals off the RDE
Mankins, Hochstein, and Neal all converge on the RDT to force a stampede/pileup, as all the while the MLB shot straight through the hole and almost got Dillon
O’Callaghan drives the LDT off the line
Watson drags the LDE inside before driving him into the ground

Analysis: Very tough to tell what in the world went on in the center of the line. The MLB and WLB both were coming in strong through Dillon’s hole between Light and Mankins. When Dillon got the handoff, he immediately cut right to avoid the unblocked MLB in the backfield, and then was taken down by both safeties on the backside of the line. Meanwhile, Mankins, Hochstein, and Neal are all sprawled on the ground around where the original hole was. They all seemed to converge on the RDT, the WLB was added to the party, and then O’Callaghan drove the LDE right into the mass. The end result was a small section of the field littered with players. Not a pretty play, but it did get the job done for the first down.

1st and 10 NE 47

Result: Pass, Caldwell from Cassel, Incomplete, play action, 10 yard out, pass broken up.
Offense: 3 WR, Caldwell wide left, Watson left slot, Childress wide right, TE Graham down off RT, Dillon lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, SLB tight over Graham, all 3 CBs 10 yards off.
Blocking: Light rides the RDE outside
Mankins and Hochstein double the RDT
Neal holds the floundering LDT from gaining an inch
O’Callaghan sits in reserve behind Graham
Graham engages with the LDE for a few seconds before releasing into the flat
Coverage: Watson takes it up the seam against the NB
Dillon comes through the line after the play fake
Childress goes deep up the seam
Caldwell takes a 10-yard out on the CB Macklin, who comes up and steps in front of the pass, batting it down

Analysis: Pocket was pristine against the 4-man rush. It looked like Cassel didn’t lead Caldwell towards the sideline enough on the out, as Caldwell had to take stutter steps to slow down to the ball. This game Macklin the time and position to step in front and break up the pass.

2nd and 10 NE 47

Result: Pass, Faulk from Brady, Incomplete, Faulk slipped before the pass came in.
Offense: 3 WR, Caldwell wide left, Childress wide right, Mills left slot in motion from FB, TE Graham down off RT, Faulk lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, SLB tight over Graham, both CBs 10 yards off, SS 10 yards off Mills in motion
Blocking: Light is bull rushed by the RDE but doesn’t collapse the pocket
Mankins stands up the RDT before releasing and coming out to block for Faulk
Hochstein releases the LDT, who turns around on the site of the dumpoff, and Hochstein looks for blocks downfield for Faulk
Neal comes out to block ahead of the dumpoff
O’Callaghan is bull rushed back by the LDE but keeps the block
Coverage: Graham slants into the right flat
Faulk comes up through the line but slips and falls as he’s cutting towards the flat

Analysis: The first obvious thing you notice on this play was how deep of a drop Brady took. Without any pressure, he drifted back a good 10 yards, having to stop his throw on the first attempt at the sight of Faulk slipping coming out of his route. Once Faulk was down, Brady’s internal alarm clock went off, and he decided just to throw it in the direction of Faulk, still getting up off the ground. The pass would bounce a few yards short of Faulk.

Note: There’s no indication as to why Brady re-entered the game. The play-by-play announcer said Belichick informed them such a situation would be possible.

3rd and 10 NE 47

Result: Pass, Faulk from Brady, Incomplete, underneath, pass dropped.
Offense: Shotgun 3 WR, Caldwell wide left, Childress left slot, Kight wide right, TE Watson standing right wing, Faulk RB to left of Brady in shotgun.
Defense: 4-3, SLB 5 yards off Childress in the slot, both CBs 10 yards off.
Blocking: Light rides the RDE outside
Mankins follows the RDT’s stunt inside, shoving him to the ground
Hochstein sits back in reserve, eventually helping O’Callaghan
Neal stands up the LDT
O’Callaghan is beat inside by a spin move from the LDE, but Hochstein is there to pick him up
Coverage: Caldwelland Childress go deep
Watson draws the WLB up through the seam
Kight goes deep
Faulk is chipped coming through the line by the RDT, cuts cleanly towards the right flat once underneath, but drops the bullet from Brady

Analysis: Faulk may have been thinking too much on this play after what happened last time around. Brady didn’t lead Faulk towards the sideline, which didn’t help. Either way, Faulk should have caught this one, which bounced right off his stomach. The MLB was coming on strong, but Faulk, if lead on the pass, could have easily turned the corner and beat him.

4th and 10 NE 47

Result: Punt, Miller, to the Ari 19, Walters calls for the fair catch with Izzo and Gardner bearing down, 34 yd. punt, 0 yd. return.

Note: There was a stampede involving Andrews and Thomas, with them and a few Cardinals falling to the ground at Walters’ 2 o’clock.

zippo59 said:
While the offense played very well WR still concerns me. The offense looked very dink and dunk near the beginning and there were too many times when Brady just had to eat the ball because no one could get open. It is no suprise the team didn't get ultra-agressive in preseason on offense, but I think the Pats still need at least one more viable reciever. I'm not relying on Branch coming back at this point.

When I watch these games, I find myself just about to yell at the TV, "What the @#&% kind of playcall is that?!"....But then I realize that it's just preseason. I wouldn't necessarily use the dink and dunk play calling as evidence that the WRs aren't playing well. Frankly, I thought Brown and Childress both had decent games. Caldwell also made a terrific diving catch that will probably nat be mentioned once this week by our friends in the media.

Defensive Series #3 Punt

Time: 12:28 remaining in the first quarter
Statistics: 4 plays (1 run, 3 pass), 39 yards (1 run, 43 pass, -5 penalty), time of possession was 3:08
Breakdown: 1 green play (1 run, 0 pass) for 1 yd., 3 red plays (0 run, 3 pass) for 43 yds., 5 penalty yards gained for the Patriots.

1st and 10 Ari 19

Result: Pass, Boldin from Warner, quick slant, pass overthrown and tipped by Boldin and Hobbs, INTERCEPTED by NE – Gardner at the Ari 29, 20 yard return.
PENALTY on NE-E.Hobbs, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at ARZ 19 - No Play.
Defense: 4-2-5 nickel, Colvin-Wright-Wilfork-Warren, Vrabel/Gardner, Samuel-Hawkins-Hobbs press coverage, Wilson and Sanders deep.
Blocking: Colvin can’t spin around the LT
Wilfork doubled by C and RG, but tries to stunt around Warren
Warren stood up by RT
Coverage: Vrabel jams the TE coming up through the seam
Samuel breaks off his WR Fitzgerald’s crossing route
Hawkins can’t get a good jam on the slot WR and has to turn and chase
Hobbs has a great jam on the WR Boldin well within 5 yards, then tips an overthrown – and tipped by Boldin – pass from Warner
Gardner drops into a seam zone, and is in the right place at the right time to catch the tipped pass and return it 20 yards

Analysis: Despite having a good throwing lane after Wilfork tried the outside, Warner still put it over Boldin’s head as he cut underneath Hobbs on the quick slant. Boldin would get a piece of it, then Hobbs would tip it up in the air to give Gardner the chance to get under the pass and pick it off. Soon after, a single flag would be seen on the field where Hobbs jammed Boldin for, according to my stopwatch, 2 seconds. Looking closely at the replay, Hobbs first put both arms straight into Boldin’s chest. When Boldin started turning the corner inside, Hobbs released him, and then shortly thereafter tipped the pass. There was no visible tugging on the jersey by Hobbs as Boldin broke downfield. I’m sorry, but I simply do not see the holding call here. After the play, they showed a clip of Hobbs arguing with the field judge, who tugged Hobbs’ neck collar as an example of what he supposedly did.

Note: Cardinals’ C Alex Stepanovich leaves with a chest contusion after getting wrecked by Wilfork on a block after the interception.

1st and 10 Ari 24

Result: Pass, Fitzgerald from Warner, deep post, 26 yds.
Offense: 3 WR, 1 left, 1 in motion left wing to right slot, 1 wide right, TE down off RT, Arrington lone RB.
Defense: 3-4, Wright-Wilfork-Warren, Banta-Cain/Vrabel/Gardner/Colvin, Samuel and Hobbs press coverage, Wilson and Hawkins deep.
Blocking: Banta-Cain blitzes and almost beats the LT outside, but Warner steps up
Wright bull rushes the LG back but around Warner
Wilfork tries to power his way around the C but runs into the RG, then is pancaked by the C
Warren rides the RT outside before cutting back inside and hitting RG traffic
Coverage: Vrabel drops back into a midfield zone
Gardner follows the TE up through the seam
Colvin jams the slot WR when he makes the cut on his 5 yard hook
Samuel chases the WR Boldin deep
Hobbs musters a quick jam on the WR Fitzgerald, who cuts inside deep, where Hobbs releases him to safety coverage

Analysis: Warner faced pressure by Banta-Cain from behind, but Wright’s cut inside allowed Warner a lane to step-up in. As Sterling Sharpe noted, the Cardinals were probably looking to attack Hobbs, who might have lost his focus after the penalty. They did so, and Fitzgerald found a void beneath safety coverage and above Vrabel’s zone.

1st and 10 Midfield

Result: Pass, Walters from Warner, short whip route, 6 yds.
Offense: 3 WR, Walters wide left in motion inside 3 paces, 2 WR right, TE down off LT, Arrington lone RB.
Defense: 4-2-5 nickel, Colvin-Wright-Wilfork-Warren, Vrabel/Gardner, Samuel-Hawkins-Hobbs press coverage, Wilson and Sanders deep.
Blocking: Colvin is stood up by the LT
Wilfork comes underneath Warren, picking up the RG and RT wide
Warren stunts behind Wilfork, but is stood up by the C
Coverage: Vrabel jams the TE coming up the seam
Gardnerdrops into a zone
Hobbs sticks with the WR Boldin on a quick slant
Hawkins gets caught up in the criss-crossing routes to the right, but dodges Boldin and follows the WR Fitzgerald into the flat
Samuel drops off once Walters goes in motion, but comes back up to make the stop after the catch

Analysis: This play was very similar to the one we saw last drive – a short pass to Walters left. This time, Walters’ motion came inside instead of across the formation, but the route was the same – a whip route starting out with a quick slant, but then a cut back towards the sideline. With minimal pressure again, Warner hit Walters on a slightly low throw, but Samuel was there to wrap up Walters along the sideline.

Last edited:
What is your impression of our pass rushing ability so far, between Colvin and Tully on the outside?

Sounds like Colvin didn't get by the LT as much as one would like.

I didn't get to see the game. I am concerned about how much pass rush we will have without Willie or Vrabel on the outside. Any thoughts?

2nd and 4 NE 44

Result: Run, Arrington, left guard, 1 yd.
Blocking: Colvin holds the edge against the TE, and pushes the TE back into Arrington to make the stop
Wright is turned away and sealed off by the LG
Wilfork is cut by the C but keeps his footing
Warren sheds the RT on the backside
Vrabel lowers a shoulder into the pulling RG in the hole, forcing Arrington to jump over Vrabel and into Wilson
Wilson dodges the WR Fitzgerald and comes up to take down Arrington, jumping over Vrabel
Gardner sheds the LT ahead of the run

Analysis: Vrabel drove right through the RG in the hole, sending both to the ground but Vrabel straight in the path of Arrington. Wilson followed in behind Vrabel, and with the help of Colvin constricting the left side, made the stop on Arrington.

3rd and 3 NE 43

Result: Pass, Fitzgerald from Warner, quick out ‘n’ go, under pressure, 16 yds.
PENALTY on ARZ-Mi.Brown, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at NE 43 - No Play.
Defense: 3-2-6 dime, Colvin-Green-Warren, Davis/Vrabel, Sanders 5 yards off TE, C. Scott behind him, Samuel (LWR) and Wilson (slot) playing off, Hobbs press, Hawkins deep.
Blocking: Colvin stunts behind Green, pressuring Warner but opening up a step-up area to Warner’s left
Green is doubled by the LT and LG
Warren RG outside, then gets held by the RG and pancaked by the C
Vrabel is knocked away by the RT, recovers, but can’t catch to a stepping-up Warner from behind
Coverage: Sanders jams the TE coming across the middle before coming up the RB underneath
Davispicks up the TE from Sanders
C. Scott drops into a zone
Samuel sits back behind the WR Fitzgerald’s chair route, is turned around on the ‘go’ part of the route, and then misses the tackle after the sideline catch

Analysis: Warren was abused on the right side of the line. After riding the RG outside and turning back inside, he was held at the jersey by the RG, then the C came over and shoved him to the ground. The RG fell on top and held him down for good measure.

3rd and 13 Ari 47

Result: Pass, Walters from Warner, quick slant, 11 yds.
Offense: Shotgun 4 WR, 2 left, 2 right, RB Arrington to right of Warner in shotgun
Defense: 3-2-6 dime, Colvin-Warren-Green, Vrabel/Davis, Samuel playing off LWR, Poteat and Wilson press slot, Hobbs press RWR, C. Scott and Hawkins deep.
Blocking: Colvin can’t get around the LT and LG
Warrenis doubled by the C and RG
Green rides the RT outside
Coverage: Vrabel drops into a short zone, but dives and misses trying to tackle Walters after the quick catch
Davisdrops into a deep zone, coming up to secure Walters on the tackle
Samuel drops deep
Poteat attempts to jam the slot WR Fitzgerald before chases him downfield, but breaks off on the throw and chasing down Walters after the catch

Analysis: Did the Cardinals forget they just lost 10 yards on a penalty? Or why in the world were they trying to squeeze in a good 10 yards after the catch? With Samuel dropping off into a deep zone, Poteat had the responsibility of both WRs in his short zone. He got a piece of Fitzgerald at the line, was turned downfield, but then released and came back up to bring down Walters after the catch. This came after Vrabel was left in the dust on his tackle attempt. DL pressure was non-existent.

4th and 2 NE 42

Result: Punt, Capshaw, to the NE 14, Andrewslets a wealth of Cardinals down it, 28 yd. punt, 0 yd. return.

5 Rings for Brady!! said:
What is your impression of our pass rushing ability so far, between Colvin and Tully on the outside?

Sounds like Colvin didn't get by the LT as much as one would like.

I didn't get to see the game. I am concerned about how much pass rush we will have without Willie or Vrabel on the outside. Any thoughts?

The pass rush hasn't been all that strong in the portion I've broken down, but Leinart was forced to scramble multiple times later on.

The Pats used a wide variety of fronts with all different personnel combos. Looks like they're searching for the best option.

Offensive Series #4 Punt

Time: 9:20 remaining in the second quarter
Statistics: 15 plays (8 run, 7 pass), 86 yards (36 run, 60 pass, -10 penalty), time of possession was 8:06
Breakdown: 9 green plays (4 run, 5 pass) for 93 yds. (32 run, 61 pass), 2 black plays (1 run, 1 pass) for 7 yds. (4 run, 3 pass), 4 red plays (3 run, 1 pass) for -4 yds. (0 run, -4 pass), 10 penalty yards lost for the Patriots.

1st and 10 NE 14

Result: Run, Maroney, left tackle, 4 yds.
Offense: 2 WR, Childress wide left, Caldwell wide right, TE Graham down off LT, I-form backfield with Mills at FB and Maroney at RB.
Defense: 4-3, SLB tight over Graham, both CBs 10 yards off.
Blocking: Graham can’t seal the edge against the SLB, who helps on the stop
Light seals the RDE inside
Mankins blocks the WLB ahead of the hole
Hochstein can only control the RDT for a few seconds before the block is shed
Neal gets too low on the LDT, who sheds Neal and forces Maroney to cut outside
O’Callaghan seals the LDE on the backside
Mills lead blocks through the hole on the MLB, but Maroney is forced to cut outside
Childress keeps a great block on the RCB

Analysis: When Maroney was forced to cut outside of Light with the free LDT Dockett in the backfield, the blocking focus then shifted to the ability of Graham to control the edge. That did not happen. While Light sensed the RDE Berry’s every move and shifted his angles to prevent a shed, Graham had to come out to face the SLB, then was knocked back into Maroney. Mills did a nice job hitting the MLB in the original hole, but didn’t have the angle to prevent the MLB from breaking off and helping the SLB take down Maroney off-tackle.

2nd and 6 NE 18

Result: Pass, Graham from Brady, quick hitch underneath, 10 yds.
Offense: 4 WR, Caldwell wide left, Watson left slot, Childress right slot, Maroney wide right, TE Graham standing right wing, empty backfield.
Defense: 4-3, WLB 5 yards off Watson, SLB 5 yards off Childress, both CBs 10 yards off.
Blocking: Light sends the RDE flying head-over-heels on a quick cut block
Mankins stands up the RDT
Hochstein sits back in reserve
Neal stands up the LDT
O’Callaghan holds off the bull rush from the LDE
Coverage: Caldwell does a quick slant underneath the RCB
Watson does a quick slant underneath the WLB
Graham hooks underneath the MLB’s zone, catches the bullet, and then plows over the MLB, then gets hit at the feet by the WLB while the SS finally knocks him down
Childress does a quick out underneath the SLB and LCB
Maroney goes deep beyond the LCB

Analysis: Still with only a 2 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB personnel package, the Patriots will able to effectively spread out the 4-3 defense, forcing the OLBs wide against the slot receivers, leaving the MLB to man the inside against the TE Graham. It would be a zone from the MLB, who tried to take down Graham after the catch but was run right over. Shortly thereafter, after achieving the first down, Graham was walloped head-on by the SS Wilson. The scary part again with the personnel group is that the Pats could have shifted them back inside and used a just as effective power running game.

1st and 10 NE 28

Result: Run, Maroney, left tackle, 7 yds.
Offense: 2 WR, Caldwell wide left, Childress wide right, 2 TE, Watson in motion left slot to down off LT, Graham down off RT, Maroney lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, SLB is directed over Graham after Watson motion, both CBs 5 yards off.
Blocking: Watson seals off the RDE long enough for Maroney to scoot by inside
Light doesn’t get a good angle on the RDT but is still able to seal him out of the hole
Mankins chips the RDT before knocking the WLB out of the hole
Hochstein rides the LDT outside
Neal pulls left but can’t get a good block on the CB wide
O’Callaghan searches the second level but can’t find a block
Graham seals the LDE on the backside
Caldwell can’t catch up the blitzing RCB, so he looks for a safety deep
Childress tries a cut block on the LCB but misses

Analysis: Good sealing of the hole at the line by Watson and Light. Mankins got the WLB out of the way ahead of the run, while the MLB shadowed Neal and was pulled away from the run. The tackle would be made by the SLB, who came in free off the backside. If O’Callaghan knew he was being followed when he went to search for blocks ahead of the run, he could have turned around and sealed off the SLB, leaving only the secondary in Maroney’s way. Great blocking overall.

Last edited:
2nd and 3 NE 35

Result: Run, Maroney, right tackle, -1 yds.
Offense: 2 WR, Caldwell wide left, Childress wide right, TE Graham down off RT, I-form backfield with Mills at FB and Maroney at RB.
Defense: 4-3, SLB tight over Graham, both CBs 10 yards off, SS lurking in box next to WLB.
Blocking: Light doubles the RDT with Mankins before turning back outside and sealing the RDE on the backside
Mankins turns the RDT outside
Hochstein can’t control the LDT, who wraps up Maroney once he is forced to cut back inside
Neal stumbles into the second level, right into the WLB, who regains his balance and helps on the stop
O’Callaghan and Mills knock the LDE off the line
Graham drives the SLB downfield

Analysis: The blame on this one has to be pinned on Mills. Instead of sealing the edge against the MLB and allowing Maroney to turn the corner, he gave O’Callaghan an unneeded double team, allowing the MLB to force Maroney to cut back inside. There, Maroney would run into the products of Hochstein and Neal’s mishaps, the LDT and WLB. One thing that instantly stands out is how quickly both safeties, especially the SS, came down on the run, a signal for the Pats to open up the passing game…

3rd and 4 NE 34

Result: Pass, Childress from Brady, 5 yard hook, 20 yds.
Offense: 3 WR, Childress motion wide left to left slot, Kight left wing, Caldwell wide right, TE Watson standing left wing, Faulk lone RB.
Defense: 4-2-5 nickel, NB playing 5 yards off Kight/Watson bunch left wing, CB over Childress playing 10 yards off, CB over Caldwell press coverage.
Blocking: Light has the RDE stunt, so he turns inside and lowers a shoulder into the RDT to record a pancake
Mankins is driven back by the RDT on the bull rush, but Light levels the RDT with a shoulder
Hochstein picks up the RDE on the stunt
Neal pancakes the LDT
O’Callaghan rides the LDE outside, where Faulk gives another pancake-inducing chip on his way out
Coverage: Faulk chips the LDE before releasing into the right flat
Childress does a 5 yard hook and sits, gets hugged by the MLB, breaks free, catches it, and dodges and jukes through the secondary after the catch
Kight goes up through the seam, drawing coverage from the RCB, but can’t get a block for Childress after the catch, desperately spinning and searching
Watson does a quick out, drawing the NB
Caldwell goes deep along the near sideline

Analysis: A combination of routes on the left side would leave Childress sitting in a void, but the MLB would quickly come over and give Bam a good hug, actually past the 5 yard limit. Brady would patiently wait and drift towards the sideline, and when Bam broke free, Brady hit him with a strike at the numbers and an automatic first down. Bam gained an extra 15 yards after the catch by working around a Watson block on the NB, and then almost spinning away from the FS before getting pushed down.

1st and 10 Ari 46

Result: Pass, Watson from Brady, 20 yard out, pass broken up.
PENALTY on NE-G.Mills, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at ARZ 46 - No Play.
Offense: Caldwell WR left, 2 TE, Graham down off RT, Watson down right wing, I-form backfield with Mills at FB and Maroney at RB.
Defense: 4-3, SLB tight over Watson, LCB sitting off right wing, RCB 10 yards off Caldwell.
Blocking: Light stands up the RDT after the RDE drops off
Mankins, Hochstein, and Neal triple the LDT
O’Callaghan stands up the LDE
Mills steps up and picks up the blitz from the SLB, but gets beat outside and resorts to a jersey hold to save the sack
Maroney rides the blitzing LCB outside
Coverage: Caldwelltakes a deep post
Graham cuts underneath and into the RDE’s left flat zone
Watson goes deep and cuts behind the MLB and WLB zones, but the FS steps in front of the pass, also knocking Watson backwards off his feet

Analysis: Mills was simply overpowered against the SLB blitzer, Calvin Pace. Pace is a converted DE, weighing in at 272. Mills stood him up, but Pace powered through Mills’ right shoulder, turning Mills around. Brady probably would have gotten the throw off anyway, but Mills saved the sack by giving a quick tug to Pace’s jersey from behind.

Last edited:
1st and 20 NE 44

Result: Pass, Dillon from Brady, dumpoff left, under pressure, -4 yds.
Offense: 3 WR, Caldwell wide left, Childress right slot, Kight wide right, TE Watson down off RT, Dillon lone RB.
Defense: 4-2-5 nickel, NB 5 yards off Childress, both CBs 10 yards off.
Blocking: Light is bull rushed back by the RDE
Mankins comes out to block for Dillon right away, but is run over by the SS, who makes the stop on Dillon right after the catch
Hochstein releases the RDT to pressure Brady, then searches in vain for a block ahead of Dillon
Neal chips the LDT before heading out ahead of the screen
O’Callaghan rides the LDE outside
Coverage: Watson slants into the right flat, drawing the MLB
Caldwell, Childress, and Kight go deep and clear out the CBs and NB

Analysis: Ugly play. Hochstein and Mankins released the RDT to run free at Brady’s face before Dillon even started his cut outside on the screen. By the time he hauled in the pressured pass, the SS had blown over Mankins sprinting in, and the LDT wasn’t far behind. While Dillon was being ripped down, his ‘screen’ protection was nowhere to be found. Mankins was lying flat on his face, Hochstein was unaware of the situation behind him, and Neal could only turn back and watch. The Pats’ offense obviously has some work to do with this style of screen, while the Cardinals’ defense read it perfectly and was right on top of the play.

2nd and 24 NE 40

Result: Pass, Watson from Brady, play action, under pressure, 20 yard crossing pattern, 18 yds.
Offense: 3 WR, Caldwell wide left, Watson right slot, Childress wide right, TE Graham down off LT, Maroney lone RB.
Defense: 4-3, SLB tight over Graham, SS 5 yards off Watson, both CBs 10 yards off.
Blocking: Graham pancakes the SLB trying to slip inside
Light hands off the RDE to Mankins before standing up the stunting RDT
Mankins stands up the RDE received from Light
Hochstein sits back in reserve, but can only slip a block in the back on the penetrating LDT
Neal is beat outside by a swimming LDT, who is pushed into Brady from behind by Hochstein
O’Callaghan is beat outside by a spinning LDE, who also pressures Brady
Coverage: Maroney takes the play fake before circling underneath
Caldwellgoes deep on the RCB
Childress cuts inside behind Watson
Watson takes a 20 yard crossing route with the backup SS Shazor in coverage, catching the ball at his knees

Analysis: The right side of the pocket completely collapsed, and Hochstein wasn’t in the right position to pick up the slack. If Hochstein hadn’t pushed him from behind into Brady, the LDT could have been called for roughing the passer. Even with 2 free rushers coming in on his right, Brady still was still on-target and hit Watson in-stride, who beat the SS on his cut. The FS would jump Watson immediately after the catch to bring him down short of the 1st down. In the process, the FS Griffith took down Watson by the facemask (i.e. a 15 yard penalty), but it seems the refs took a play off for both sides.

3rd and 6 NE 42

Result: Run, Faulk, left tackle, 7 yds.
Offense: 3 WR, Kight wide left in motion 3 paces inside, Childress right slot, Caldwell wide right, TE Graham down off LT, Faulk lone RB.
Defense: 4-2-5 nickel, NB 5 yards off, both CBs press coverage, SS in box.
Blocking: Graham ole’s the RDE, trapping him behind the run
Light chips the RDT before going for the WLB Huff in the second level, but he can’t get the angle
Mankins seals the RDT inside
Hochstein can’t get a block on the LDT backside
Neal pulls left through the hole, sealing the overpursuing MLB outside
O’Callaghan is beat outside by the LDE but recovers and regains control
Kight seals the RCB outside

Analysis: Excellent job of opening up a large hole for Faulk to come up through. Light wasn’t able to hold the inside against the WLB, but the shed by the WLB came when Faulk was close enough to dive for the first down, which he did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes