PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone want to rethink Branch's trade value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffd

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
After seeing Dante Stallworth get traded for an decent starting LB and a probable 3rd round pick (NFL network reported the only condition to the pick was playing time, no stats). I'm not the biggest Branch fan but I feel he is head and shoulders above Stallworth. I'm beginning to think he can possibly bring in a 1st round pick, which the Pats should take for him.

Representing the Green Bay packers, I offer:

Nick Barnett
Robert Ferguson
Rod Gardner
Chaz Woodson
a 4th-round conditional draft pick.

3 1st-rounders and a player projected to be a 1st-rounder if he had stayed in school.

Oh, and your team will be significantly worse off.

Last edited:
Felger disagrees saying that the trade for Stallworth lowers the asking price. He also thinks Stallworth may be better than Branch:

Based on that return, it’s nearly impossible to conceive a scenario in which the Pats would receive a first- or second-round pick for Branch.

A case even could be made that Stallworth is worth more than Branch.

Stallworth, 25 and a 2002 first-round draft pick, caught 70 passes for 945 yards and seven touchdowns last year. He is 6-feet, 195 pounds.

Branch, 27 and a second rounder in ’02, had 78 catches for 998 yards and five touchdowns last year. He is 5-9, 190 pounds.

Last edited:
PatsRI said:
Felger disagrees saying that the trade for Stallworth lowers the asking price. He also thinks Stallworth may be better than Branch.
Based on that return, it’s nearly impossible to conceive a scenario in which .

Stallworth is better than Branch in a vacuum. What kept the price down is that he seems to miss 3-6 games a year hurt, and he's supposedly developed an ego problem over the last year.

Branch seems to miss 3-6 games a year hurt (last year being the exception), and he's developed an ego problem over the last few months.

Seems like a pretty good comparison.

Teams routinely use a 1st round pick to draft a colleg WR that they believe may develop into a #1 NFL WR.

IF The Twig is a Top 10 #1 WR, like the money he is requesting for his services, then why wouldn't a team give a 1st round pick for a young, NFL proven WR?

That conundrum is what this is all about.

Last edited:
It makes a trade for him that much tougher. I don't think the Pats will accept anything less than a 2nd rounder if that. Stallworth's deal not only takes away one suitor, but lowers his marketability to other suitors in my opinion.

Felger's arguement was stupid as the Saints wanted to get rid of him - he should look to Lelie who got a #3 and #4 or Javon Walker who got a #2, Walker is very good but was coming off ACL surgery.

Just my opinion but, I think it helps set his value... You can forget about a 1st round pick maybe a 2nd and conditional compensation (maybe a later round pick based on performance)

The Eagles basically gave up a mid-to-late 3rd or 4th and the equivilent of Monty Beisel for Stallworth. Nowhere near the two 1st round picks rumored!

deeds said:
Just my opinion but, I think it helps set his value... You can forget about a 1st round pick maybe a 2nd and conditional compensation (maybe a later round pick based on performance)
It doesn't, the Patriots don't have to trade him and don't have to next year either if they Franchise him. They Patriots will set his value, not the Saints.

BelichickFan said:
Felger's arguement was stupid as the Saints wanted to get rid of him - he should look to Lelie who got a #3 and #4 or Javon Walker who got a #2, Walker is very good but was coming off ACL surgery.

Amen. Just look at Clayton's article on ESPN.com. Stallworth's buddy Joe Horn talks about how Stallworth's professionalism isn't anywhere near what it should be and how the Saints' staff wanted to get rid of him. Doesn't sound like an apples to apples comparison at all. You really have to wonder how much Felger follows the NFL.

How can Felger make that argument when he criticizes the Patriots for not paying him enough?

How much does Stallworth make?

Anybody who thinks Stallworth is better than Branch is a blithering idiot.

I doubt the Patriots can get a 1st-round draft choice because the NFL severely discounts short WRs. It's a prejudice that exists.

Johnny Z said:
Anybody who thinks Stallworth is better than Branch is a blithering idiot.

Stallworth is absolutely better by any objective measure out there. Swap them for each other in their offenses. Stallworth has put up better numbers as a #2 receiver from the most inaccurate QB in the league than Branch has as the main target of the most accurate QB in the league. It's really not even that close a call. IMO, Branch could be best described as a poor man's Stallworth.

It's much easier to make a living as a #2 than a #1. That's the problem right there. #1s get doubled.

upstater1 said:
It's much easier to make a living as a #2 than a #1. That's the problem right there. #1s get doubled.

Understood. But that's why a WR is considered a #1. He can deal with the double team. The #1 WR should still put up better numbers than the #2 WR. Being double-teamed is not an excuse.

Stallworth is not even close to Deion Branch.

That's just laughable.

Johnny Z said:

That's just laughable.

What gave Branch the edge was his perceived selflessness, devotion to the sport and team, and status as a huge team player. He has disproven all of this through his recent actions so I think it's pretty much a toss up.

Branch does have the great postseason performances but Stallworth has never gotten to the postseason so we don't know what he would do once he gets there. The difference between them is not as big as you think.

Last edited:
Johnny Z said:

That's just laughable.

I totally agree. It seems that Stalworth's size and the fact that he was picked in the first round are the largest reasons for choice. If that is the case, than Charles Rogers must be better too!

Oswlek said:
I totally agree. It seems that Stalworth's size and the fact that he was picked in the first round are the largest reasons for choice. If that is the case, than Charles Rogers must be better too!

And the fact that Branch plays for the Patriots is the largest reason for the other opinion. If that's the case, Bam Childress must be better too!

Johnny Z said:

That's just laughable.

It's not laughable to anybody except a Pats homer.

If Stallworth had been here catching passes from Brady the past three seasons, he'd be our favorite receiver in the NFL. And probably a pro-bowler.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back