PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone Else Have a Good Feeling???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good analysis on changes to Ravens sicne week 1.

2013 NFL playoffs -- New England Patriots, Baltimore Ravens have new looks since Week 3 meeting - ESPN Boston

Suggs back; Webb and McClain out. The Ravens didn't have linebacker Terrell Suggs in the Sept. 23 meeting (torn Achilles in the offseason), with rookie Courtney Upshaw playing in his place. Suggs is back, but the Ravens won't have top cornerback Lardarius Webb, who tore his ACL in October. Even with Webb on the field, top Patriots receivers Brandon Lloyd (9 catches, 108 yards) and Wes Welker (8 catches, 142 yards) had big days, with Webb often on Welker. Who covers Welker now? The Ravens also lost starting linebacker Jameel McClain in December.

Solidified Ravens offensive line. The Patriots will see a different configuration along the Ravens' offensive line, as veteran left tackle Bryant McKinnie wasn't in the mix Sept. 23, which moved Michael Oher from right tackle to the left side. But McKinnie has since settled in and Oher is back on the right side, and that means rookie Kelechi Osemele is at left guard. The Ravens' line protected well Saturday in Denver, and it wasn't as if the Patriots generated great pressure Sept. 23 anyway. One change for the Patriots: Rookie defensive end Justin Francis was inactive in the first game, and he's now emerged as a top sub rusher.

Check this thread on Ravens forum. Good analysis by Ravens fans (measured and balanced analysis unlike idiotic Broncos fans who came here before they even played against Ravens and started talking trash.)

Baltimore Ravens Forum and Message Board | How we should attack the Patriots

I've re-watched the Houston/Patriots game a couple of times and taken some notes on what I saw.

- The Patriots have a very very good offensive line, and can give Brady all day to throw, they aren't bad as a run blocking unit either. They are all tall athletic players who can get to the second level and do their jobs very well.

- The Patriots really don't have a deep threat element at all, but this is nothing new, they haven't had that since Randy Moss left. They are going to be pretty much the same offense we seen from Denver, just not as physical at WR, their receivers are much smaller. They will likely run the ball a ton like Denver did too, but unlike at wide out, their running game is much more physical than Denvers running scheme. The Patriots seem to run a variant of the power run scheme and the ZBS. The Patriots will likely be quicker to the snap than Denver were against us, so we must be prepared to deal with that.

- On defense the Patriots are big and physical up front, they have a large front 7, their LB's actually look more like D linemen with their size. Their secondary can tackle well, they come up and attack, similar to how Pittsburgh play, just not as good. They are still a liability in coverage, and we will need to throw a lot of deep ones like against Denver.

-The Patriots pass rush doesn't really scare me at all, they don't have any scary edge rushers, and certainly no where near the level of what Denver offered. If Oher and McKinnie play as well as they did in Denver, the Patriots wont have much of an impact off the edges. The rookie Chandler Jones has a lot of talent and can make plays, but he still appears to be fairly raw as an every down player.

- It is more the interior line of that defense that worries me, lead by Wilfolk, who as we all know is their best player on D and gave us fits last year. Birk is going to have to do a better job this time around, but I'm sure KO and Yanda will give him plenty of help, our Oline is much more physical and larger with KO playing guard and McKinnie at LT now. I'm not sure if there's a bigger Oline pound for pound when we have our current line up there.

What my gameplan would be:

- Their Oline is very effective, so Kruger and Suggs are going to have to be on top of their game, and Ngata has to push the pile up the middle. I would go to mostly a 4-3 base defense like we did last year. Have Kruger play LDE rotating with Upshaw, and Suggs play RDE, with Ngata and McPhee/A Jones on the inside. Have Ray and Ellerbe as the LB's, and Pollard should come in as the weakside LB dropping back into coverage covering Hernandez, and play Chykie Brown as the nikel corner and Ihedigbo at SS. There is no Grontkowski to worry about in this one. We are going to get nikel and dimed all up and down the park, so it's vital that our front 4 can create some pressure. We did a good job against a similar front @Denver, we were creating pressure with only 3 men at times, so hopefully it will be the same here.

- Stop the run, and you will stop Brady and the offense. We stepped up against the run against the Broncos, and we must do the same here. You would scratch your head at this one, but this years Patriots team has a very effective running game that is quick to the snap and is really hard to defend, we must make sure that Ridley has no room to run. If Brady is forced to throw the ball around, and we get after him, he doesn't like it. History shows that if you pressure Brady, he starts to crumble.

- On offense, use zone stretch plays. Arian Foster had somenice runs around the edges against the Patriots, but not many up the middle. Again this defense is built up the middle, and Wilfolk makes it very hard for the interior of the Oline. Hopefully Pierce can go for this one, as he's a very effective zone runner, and the Patriots are poor at setting the edge from what I seen.

- Throw over the middle, and take a significant amount of deep shots. The Patriots weakness on defense lies mostly through the middle in the passing game. Their big LB's can't cover that well, and their safeties are average. Shaubb at some success throwing down the middle last night. I think we could do a job with Pitta and Boldin excelling around that area. Then take the deep shots with Torrey and Jacoby. The Patriots are still not very good at defending the deep shots.

- No stupid penalties, **** ups, silly drops in clutch moments, or ST **** ups. I'm confident we can win this game if everyone does their job and avoid making boneheaded plays. We lost last year because of a stupid lack of concentration by Lee Evans, and a gigantic **** up by Billy Cundiff. I don't expect Tucker to make the same mistake, but lets try and avoid the kicking to tie or win the game for once. Lets try and make this an outright win that isn't forced to OT, so I don't gain increased blood pressure.

I'm fully confident we can win this, but its going to be a very hard game, and I expect this game to be just as hard as the Denver game- maybe not as physically demanding due to the altitude and having to play 6 quarters of football.

- Flacco isn't great. Even his bombs were pickable in the last few games. High ducks that look more like kicks than passes.

:confused:
Flacco may have the best deep ball in the game, and T Smith is one of the best deep threats.

Last edited:
That thread goes to homerville fast after the initial post. One thing that's worth mentioning is that while the Ravens are nowhere near as talented defensively as the Texans, psychologically, they are far superior. The issue that sank the Texans is the refusal to believe that what they were doing and had been doing was no longer working. Once they realized it, they were beaten.

The Ravens still have nothing comparable to Watt. I would call Reed/Barwin-Suggs at 75%/Kruger a push. The Texans edge guys are more athletic, but they don't have the same game IQ.

I'm hearing people say that Brady didn't play well against the Ravens the last 2 games.

This is the latest conventional wisdom that's being passed around.

That thread goes to homerville fast after the initial post. One thing that's worth mentioning is that while the Ravens are nowhere near as talented defensively as the Texans, psychologically, they are far superior. The issue that sank the Texans is the refusal to believe that what they were doing and had been doing was no longer working. Once they realized it, they were beaten.

The Ravens still have nothing comparable to Watt. I would call Reed/Barwin-Suggs at 75%/Kruger a push. The Texans edge guys are more athletic, but they don't have the same game IQ.

Wow, they went full homer in that thread.

I'm hearing people say that Brady didn't play well against the Ravens the last 2 games.

This is the latest conventional wisdom that's being passed around.

Yeah. Brady has a slower release than Manning (WTF), the Patriots don't have any deep threat players or outside the numbers players (WTF?) and the Patriots are built to feed off the run...

Seriously, do these people know anything about the patriots at all?

Out of his mind? I don't think so...

Perhaps he was using that term in the broader sense? :p

Small%2520Bedlam.jpeg

Do we all remember the TD to Edelman the Patriots scored before the half against the Ravens this year?

They thought they left Brady with not enough time. He sliced through them like butter.

D couldn't get off the field in the second half because of suspect calls on 3rd down by the refs multiple times.

Yeah. Brady has a slower release than Manning (WTF), the Patriots don't have any deep threat players or outside the numbers players (WTF?) and the Patriots are built to feed off the run...

Seriously, do these people know anything about the patriots at all?

I'm in a weird spot because I'm in the Ravens market and know their team pretty well, but I would have expected them to know a team they see so regularly better than that. Graciously, one poster did correct the guy who was looking forward to targeting Patrick Chung with the deep ball.

They had no idea who the guy was who had 3 TD's for us Sunday...

Gronk is also our only deep threat.

>>>>*The more you know>>>>*

The defense isn't what it was a year ago for two reasons IMO: 1) Webb is out. He is a playmaker in the defensive backfield. Bar none. 2) Their interior DL is not as good as it has been in the past. Art Jones and Terrence Cody haven't really been what the Ravens need when Ngata isn't on the field. McPhee is decent.

Kruger, IMO, is their best chance to get after Brady. Kruger is twice what Johnson was as the edge guy. Suggs has his moments, but he is clearly not 100% and Ngata hasn't been what he once was for a few years. The defense still has the pedigree and a lot of savvy, so they could make a play here or there, but if they let our offense get into a groove it's over. The Ravens have made a living in the past of being one of the few groups to not let Brady get totally comfortable.

Everyone is saying Webb did not play well against the patriots in week 3, but he made a lot of key plays for them in that game. However, we lost gronk and edelman, who also was a huge factor in week 3.

After spotting the Manning and the Broncos 14 points and beating them in Mile High.. this is as good as it can feel as a Ravens fan going into the AFC Championship...

The Pats are just another very good Pats team that we have seen in various forms over the last 5 years..

The 2013 Playoff Ravens are an Idea whose time has come... Ray's Last Ride...

Powerful stuff..

Last edited:
"The 2013 Playoff Ravens are an Idea whose time has come.."

They're an idea? Is that supposed to be inspiring?

Last edited:
I would say that this is the most complete team the Patriots have fielded since 2007, in some ways more complete than that team.

The defense has been rebuilt, there is a solid running game, and the Patriots can throw the ball outside the numbers, over the middle and down the seam.

Baltimore Ravens Q&A with Mike Preston - baltimoresun.com

Brian Spector in Easton: Why did Jim Caldwell continue to call a running play on almost every first down? He did it over and over and over.

Caldwell had a plan, and he executed that plan. That plan drove most fans crazy, but it had a purpose. The defense needed to to be spelled in the altitude of Denver after a short week. It also had an effect on the defensive front of the Broncos because the Ravens wore them down. Rice had runs of 32 yards and 11 yards late in the game that led to scores.

Adam: It's hard to have a complain after such an amazing victory, but I can't help but wonder why the offense didn't take a single shot down the field in the second half or during overtime after having so much success in the first half. The Jacoby Jones TD was essentially a Hail Mary and awesome, but Torrey Smith was burning Champ Bailey and we didn't throw one pass down the field to him after halftime. Considering the game could have easily gone the other way in overtime, I can't help but feel we could have pulled away in the second half if we continued to exploit what had already been working so well in the first half. Why would the offensive game plan ignore the deep route in the second half?

Ray Rice is still the best offensive player on this team, and he needs to get the ball in his hands. As discussed in the previous question, the Ravens had to give the defense a blow and they were effective on converting third downs. The Broncos also went to more Cover 2 in the second half prohibiting the long pass. One of the ways to get a team out of Cover 2 is to pound the ball and force them to move a safety near the line of scrimmage.

Caldwell showed poise and discipline. Just enjoy the win.

Stopping Rice and forcing their "D" on to the field and tiring them using long drives and/or fast paced offense should be a top priority.

After spotting the Manning and the Broncos 14 points and beating them in Mile High.. this is as good as it can feel as a Ravens fan going into the AFC Championship...

The Pats are just another very good Pats team that we have seen in various forms over the last 5 years..

The 2013 Playoff Ravens are an Idea whose time has come... Ray's Last Ride...

Powerful stuff..

There is nothing more powerful than an Idea whose time has come...

:)

So the 'Idea' is what - to fall behind by 14 points?

If that happens Sunday then best of luck to your Ravens; they'll need it.

1. By the way, why the implication that 'just another good team' is a bad thing? Consistency is bad? It's better to be up and down? If that's the case, then you must also feel that the Ravens of 2002 to 2007 (with three losing seasons) are much better than the Ravens of 2010 to 2012 ....

... which would make this year's squad 'just another good Ravens team that we have seen in various forms over the last five years'.

2. 'This is as good as it gets' - that statement summarizes one very important reason why it is going to be so difficult for the Ravens. Last week was their Super Bowl. When teams have that highly emotional game, the next week they usually have a letdown.

Reed, can you or anyone else on this board confirm a couple of things for me about the Ravens? I heard on last week's telecast that Ngata is fighting a bunch of injuries and is only about 80%? Ray-Ray is playing with one arm and is getting slower by the day. Suggs certainly can't be 100%, how has he been playing? Also heard Reed has been struggling but maybe he was just invisible last week since Manning can't reach the safeties in the air.

I know "everyone is hurting at this point in the year" but if all those injuries are true, in addition to Webb being out, I would imagine this defense is much different that at this point last year.

Also, what changed since the regular season when the Ravens ended up playing like garbage? Is it really all about having Ray's leadership?

I can do my best. Ngata has been playing injured for quite a while now, he's definitely not the dominating force in the middle he usually is. Harbaugh put him at about 80%. However, the Ravens did a solid job stopping the run against Denver, especially in big short yardage situations. Ngata's just not getting the pressure up the middle like he used to.

As for Ray, his arm definitely is not functioning like it should. He racked up a bunch of tackles in the past two games, however, many of them were several yards downfield. Peyton targeted him a bunch in the passing game. He's not very quick in coverage, which is incredibly scary against the Pats, but he still comes up with big plays and knows how to get our defense set.

Suggs still isn't fully healed either. He hasn't been getting much pressure on the quarterback at all. But hopefully after another week, he'll play a little bit better. I would be watching out for Paul Kruger on the other side of the line, who has been getting a lot of pressure the past two weeks, more than I would watch for Suggs.

As for Reed, he's another year older and definitely a little slower. You can say that Peyton never threw the ball deep because he didn't have the arm strength. But you could also argue it was because Ed Reed was playing well on the back end. I've got no real way to tell. Either way, Ed may be slower, but he's still got great instincts and ball skills. To put it simply, I want him back next year, even if we have to pay a little too much.

Finally, since the end of the year, a lot on our team has changed. On defense, Ray was out, and Danelle Ellerbe was also out for a period. Suggs was just coming back from injury, and Ngata was hurting even more than he is now. Furthermore, Chykie Brown and Corey Graham are now playing corner, and they've played pretty darn well so far. On offense, our line has changed dramatically. Oher moved from LT to RT, Mckinnie took his spot at LT and has been playing great there, and Osemele got to move from RT to his natural spot at Guard. Marshall Yanda is also playing again. At the end of the season we had also just switched offensive coordinators, so it probably took a little time to adjust. Hope that helps!

There is nothing more powerful than an Idea whose time has come...

:)

The 2013 Playoff Ravens are an Idea whose time has come... to get waxed by the Patriots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Back