Any chance Logan Ryan re-signs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Froob

Independent Investigator & pliable af
PatsFans.com Supporter
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The only way I see him being resigned is if BB thinks that extending Butler will be to expensive. He might see Logan Ryan as better value long term to have that veteran in the secondary. Maybe he thinks he can have Ryan+Harmon for the price of butler.

I hope for butler+Harmon, but time will tell...

Doubt it cause someone will pay him stupid money. Ryan is not always consistent but has overall been more on than off since 2015. When on he plays like a low level #1 CB. When off he plays like barely a #2.

1 team will pay him like he is that low level #1 and gambles he grows into consistency. Something like the Maxwell deal. He will get 5 for 45 or something like that. Pats won't match it.

My hope is after 2 years he plays out his guaranteed money and is cut then back here kinda ala Chung and after being "exposed" for not being a top guy and is signed by us for a fair deal long term and continues to have a good career. I'd love him here on 5-6M a year. That is a fair deal IMO.

I think there is a decent chance. If someone pays him CB1 money he is gone but if he gets paid like a solid CB2 he could fit in.

Nah, he's gone. Someone will pay him more in a league where you can't have enough good corners. I wish we could retain him, though. His only issue is consistency. But as far as having what it takes to play the position physically, he has just about everything you look for - decent speed, he can be physical at the line, great tackler and his ball skills are probably the best on the team. He just doesn't always play well for some reason. It's weird.

I actually think there is a decent chance he stays. Unless some team gives him huge money

I doubt it. Imagine the money some team will be giving him this offseason after he wins the SBMVP.

I agree I bet he gets at least $40 million and that won't be from the pats.

Nothing surprises me with this team. I didn't think Freeny would make the team let alone get an extension. He may well decide that Ryan and a draft pick for Butler (either trade, comp, or tender) is more valuable than Butler alone.

Isn't the salary cap going up? I'd pay for good corners and Ryan/Butler fit that mode. I'd pay for Collins too but let Hightower walk as he is injury prone. Unless of course they believe Cyrus Jones can eventually be a starting corner.

Belichick extended McCourty when it didn't seem possible. There is a lot of cap money this offseason. And yes, there will be many options with regard to how to use the money.

so, it's possible, but not likely. Butler is an issue for 2018, and perhaps not a real issue for Belichick this next off-season, although I expect that the team will attempt to extend him.

I expect Harmon to be extended long before Ryan, perhaps during the bye week.

There is certainly a chance but he might be a Culliver-tier ($8M/year in 2015) free agent. Don't see this team paying more than 6 or 7 a year.

There is certainly a chance but he might be a Culliver-tier ($8M/year in 2015) free agent. Don't see this team paying more than 6 or 7 a year.

We would pay $8M average over the contract in a heartbeat.

With the Pats I just assume everybody's gone and then am pleasantly surprised when somebody sticks around.

Still hard to believe any team could have gotten Edelman...

Isn't the salary cap going up? I'd pay for good corners and Ryan/Butler fit that mode. I'd pay for Collins too but let Hightower walk as he is injury prone. Unless of course they believe Cyrus Jones can eventually be a starting corner.

Let Hightower walk? What are you crazy? He is a must sign. God he is so underrated

I disagree. Hightower is too injury prone and not worth max $$

WOW, today has been a treasure trove of great articles. Thanks Froob.

What I value most about Ryan is that over his 4 season, Ryan has gotten better EVERY single year. That is an element we often forget in our "what have you done for me lately" sports society. Rookies come into this league. We watch what we got, and determine that's all we have. But that is simply no always the case.

I keep telling you that football is a cerebral game, and because of that players aren't always the sum of their physical gifts. There is absolutely nothing special about Logan Ryan physically. He isn't particularly fast, or quick, or big, or strong. However if you are willing to wash away some of your preconceptions, you will see that Ryan has become a very good NFL CB. Certainly a lot better than we expected and much better than some would be willing to admit. This article helps explain the why.

Good for him. If his arc continues to move upward, he will get his payday, either here or elsewhere. We have a ton of cap money and a ton of FA's. It looks like this off season will be VERY interesting and probably controversial. Miguel has made a very reasonable case for keeping most of our key players, but you can't keep them all. And there in lies the contraversy.

But I think I'm going to choose not to worry about this now. It will be time enough to worry come February. It will be a very busy time for the FO.

But I think I'm going to choose not to worry about this now. It will be time enough to worry come February. It will be a very busy time for the FO.

Agreed.

However, it seems likely that there will be more extensions during the season. Guys like Harmon, Cannon and Long seem like possibilities.

I want to see what the Pats have in Rowe, who is under contract for $2 million total between 2017 and 2018. If they think he can be 90% as good as Ryan for 10% of the price, then I think they'd just look to spend that money elsewhere.

Agreed.

However, it seems likely that there will be more extensions during the season. Guys like Harmon, Cannon and Long seem like possibilities.
I think Harmon is a guaranteed goner. He'll probably get a bit overpaid but, he's a good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft