PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andre gurode

Status
Not open for further replies.
***************WARNING-PURE SPECULATION****************

I think it is a disinct possibility that Koppen will be cut.

My reasoning comes from a couple different things that I think may be going on...

In my opinion, BB wants the big guys up front. Koppen is a bit on the smallish side (if such a thing exists for 300lb centers in the NFL :p)

He will be 32 opening day and quite frankly I think the quickness that he had earlier in his career has disipated somewhat. Hes still quality C but I think hes been a bit manhandled with pressure comming up the middle from larger, faster defensive players.

In addition, while I haven't done all the math as it relates to cap savings, he is scheduled to make $2.9m in salary and carries a $4.4m cap hit. I don't know if hes been paid the $1.5m bonus and other $600k that was written in his contract. He is in the last year of his deal.

Would be a bold and risky move to cut your starting center right before the season, but I'm throwing it out there as a possibility. We've seen BB execute on these types of moves before.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
***************WARNING-PURE SPECULATION****************

I think it is a disinct possibility that Koppen will be cut.

My reasoning comes from a couple different things that I think may be going on...

In my opinion, BB wants the big guys up front. Koppen is a bit on the smallish side (if such a thing exists for 300lb centers in the NFL :p)

He will be 32 opening day and quite frankly I think the quickness that he had earlier in his career has disipated somewhat. Hes still quality C but I think hes been a bit manhandled with pressure comming up the middle from larger, faster defensive players.

In addition, while I haven't done all the math as it relates to cap savings, he is scheduled to make $2.9m in salary and carries a $4.4m cap hit. I don't know if hes been paid the $1.5m bonus and other $600k that was written in his contract. He is in the last year of his deal.

Would be a bold and risky move to cut your starting center right before the season, but I'm throwing it out there as a possibility. We've seen BB execute on these types of moves before.

Thoughts?

You may be right about him getting over powered and being a bit of a liability at times, but you don't release your starting center a week before the season starts, especially with no replacement anywhere in sight and with a shortened off season.. The salary isn't outrageous, and the Pats aren't in any cap trouble.

I do think that the end is near for Koppen though, we probably draft someone high in next years draft or address the position through free agency next season.

Gurode is still a very good player. As mentioned, he's started at C for the 'Boys the last 5 years, and has made 4 pro bowls. The reason Haynesworth stomped his head was because he was manhandling him and Al got upset. I don't know about his transition to RG, but I think he'd be a neutral upgrade to Koppen this year, and better over the next 3 as Koppen ages more quickly. I think this would be a great pick=up either way.

Gurode is still a very good player. As mentioned, he's started at C for the 'Boys the last 5 years, and has made 4 pro bowls. The reason Haynesworth stomped his head was because he was manhandling him and Al got upset. I don't know about his transition to RG, but I think he'd be a neutral upgrade to Koppen this year, and better over the next 3 as Koppen ages more quickly. I think this would be a great pick=up either way.

I definitely want to pickup AndreG (1yr or 2yr).. Our OL was pushed around by the Giants, which is a better team than the lowly Bucs & Jags.. We were also pushed around in the playoff game against the Jets..

DanC is average at best. RichO is not even worth talking about. Wendell is on DL. AndreG can be our starting RG, and can pitch as C, if Koppen gets hurt..

Cant let AndreG out of NE without a contract, as there are at least couple of teams interested in him..

IMO

a neutral up grade??? You vastly understated that... He would be a HUGE upgrade over DK. Last 2 years I didn't like Koppen .

Only team on which Gurode can count on being safe -- from Haynesworth is the Pats. Pats can command "safety discount".

There's always practice :confused2:

On a serious note........... Bills just released C Geoff Hangartner, He's backs up Wood, but if Gurode doesn't work out, he's better then our back-ups and has started.

Hope they sign him. Next year we can draft a better Center.

You may be right about him getting over powered and being a bit of a liability at times, but you don't release your starting center a week before the season starts, especially with no replacement anywhere in sight and with a shortened off season.. The salary isn't outrageous, and the Pats aren't in any cap trouble.

I do think that the end is near for Koppen though, we probably draft someone high in next years draft or address the position through free agency next season.

I have a top 2-3 Pats pick dedicated at a Center next year - Jones (Georgia) is the kid that seems best at the moment. Koppen has one more OK or OK+ year in him I believe, BB will use it.

If he's healthy I think signing him is an absolute no brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft