PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Andre Carter: "The Pass Rush Is Almost There"

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're not entitled to a 14-2 team with a perfect combination of youth and experience and no exploitable weaknesses every year.

No exploitable weaknesses? I wish you'd mentioned that to Rex Ryan last December.

What we need is this great concept I've only heard about. I believe it is called a "secondary" or something. It is partially comprised of something know and a Sefty (sp?) or something like that. Some teams even carry more than 1 Sefty!!

I know it sounds outlandish but apparently if we had one of these, the D line would have more time to get to the QB.

I can only imagine what that is like. Must be nice ...

:D

Carter can yap all he wants but until its seen on the field then i can start believing it.This defense has just goned backwards.I just hope they start getting stops on the field.

Met a Cowboys cheerleader the other night and I almost had sex with her.

They need Haynesworth back if they want the pass rush this sunday IMO

if that will make other team throw the ball sooner it might not be good either.

The offense needs to do it's part as well in helping the rushers. It's not just about blowing the doors off of the opposing defense as quickly and impressively as possible. If you get a two score lead on an opponent early that already severly limits their playcall. The offense needs to execute sustained, long drives that score. This will enable the rushers keep their wind while still strangling the opposing offense. There's a lot more to put on this offense than most realize.

The offense needs to do it's part as well in helping the rushers. It's not just about blowing the doors off of the opposing defense as quickly and impressively as possible. If you get a two score lead on an opponent early that already severly limits their playcall. The offense needs to execute sustained, long drives that score. This will enable the rushers keep their wind while still strangling the opposing offense. There's a lot more to put on this offense than most realize.

While I think you make a very good point jay, I also think it becomes difficult to want our cake and eat it to--so to speak on offense. They're putting up 30+ every single game, and have been doing it very consistantly for quite awhile now. It's hard to expect them to be as close to perfect as we've grown to expect.

I think you are very smart in pointing out how the 2 sides of the ball go hand in hand, and how it would help our defense to sustain longer, more clock-killing drives on offense. In a perfect world, we'd go on top by 10+ early on, and have nice long clock killing drives throughout the game, but sometimes that's just not possible (which can obviously be a good thing too).

It's a lot easier (and more appropriate IMO) to point the finger at the side of the ball whose job it is to stop the other team from advancing the ball, converting 3rd downs, scoring, etc. That is their job, and they have done it very poorly. The offense is doing just fine in almost every aspect, for me personally it's hard to nit-pick because they are scoring too quickly (not exactly what you're saying, I completely understand). Our hope for a more balanced offense is always going to start with our biggest weapon, and that is obviously Brady. While we need to be able to run effectively too, many of our drives will be continued via the shorter pass, which has pretty much been our running game for many yrs now. It is still effective in moving the clock, and the bottom line is you are right--I believe they can help to bail the defense out a bit by BOB mixing in some better playcalling, especially when they are out in front with a double digit lead.

The poor pass rush and lack of pressure I have come to expect, but the lousy play at BOTH CB's for guys who are supposed to be above average has been the bitter pill for many of us to swallow.

Always enjoy your brilliant and insightful thoughts about the defense, and I expect the team to continue to improve. We need the injuries to slow down a bit too. Take care.

Last edited:
Thats nice in theory, but practice, if the defense had stopped the Bills on the last 2 drives, we'd be 3 and 0 and the defense would have had 3 games where they got a lead let the other team score some points coming back, and the needed improvements on defense would not have hurt us yet.
Instead the defense went out for 7 snaps allowed 174 yards, its best play was a 12 yard gain, and all of this happened in 2:33. And in between the offense had a long, sustained drive.
There is nowhere to put the blame for that loss than a defense that didnt even compete on the last 2 drives, unless you are adding up other small factors on top of the primary reason.
We could argue that the offense must score a TD every drive and get 1 2 point conversion so that if the D allows a TD every play we still win, and that has some truth to it, but its like having a building collapse under a snow storm and singling out an individual snowflake as culpable.

Thats nice in theory, but practice, if the defense had stopped the Bills on the last 2 drives, we'd be 3 and 0 and the defense would have had 3 games where they got a lead let the other team score some points coming back, and the needed improvements on defense would not have hurt us yet.
Instead the defense went out for 7 snaps allowed 174 yards, its best play was a 12 yard gain, and all of this happened in 2:33. And in between the offense had a long, sustained drive.
There is nowhere to put the blame for that loss than a defense that didnt even compete on the last 2 drives, unless you are adding up other small factors on top of the primary reason.
We could argue that the offense must score a TD every drive and get 1 2 point conversion so that if the D allows a TD every play we still win, and that has some truth to it, but its like having a building collapse under a snow storm and singling out an individual snowflake as culpable.

Some of the worst end of game, situational football in many yrs here. Those stats are glaring. Just appalling.

I certainly agree with your thoughts.

APOCALYPTO_dvd.jpg

Almost.

I hope andre carter out there alot as it should making running to that side alot easier. IF you don't have to throw it why would you even bother.

Nah, Brady needs to make a sacrifice for the team. Allow each of the front seven players to be hypnotized before the game and convince them the opposing QB is actually ...........:D
GISELE

gisele-bundchen-height.jpg

Good idea.

I don't know about YOU, but I would have an hard time ~ if you'll pardon the expression ~ mounting an Effective Pass Rush with only one free hand.
smiley-think005.gif

I'm just curious when the Pats are supposed to start these killing the clock drives? Unless we are talking about the first half, the largest lead they had in the 2nd half was 11 points and they had that lead for 1 offensive play. Are we talking about going conservative with a 1 score lead? That is an ultra conservative approach with one of the all time great QBs and an offense that has scored 30 points week in week out since the middle of last season. Even with an 11 point 3rd quarter lead that is extremely conservative - the type of thing you do when you have a shaky offense and the other team has a great one.

If we are talking about going conservative and killing the clock with a 2 TD lead in the first half of an NFL game, that is just foolish.

Last edited:
I'm just curious when the Pats are supposed to start these killing the clock drives? Unless we are talking about the first half, the largest lead they had in the 2nd half was 11 points and they had that lead for 1 offensive play. Are we talking about going conservative with a 1 score lead? That is an ultra conservative approach with one of the all time great QBs and an offense that has scored 30 points week in week out since the middle of last season. Even with an 11 point 3rd quarter lead that is extremely conservative - the type of thing you do when you have a shaky offense and the other team has a great one.

If we are talking about going conservative and killing the clock with a 2 TD lead in the first half of an NFL game, that is just foolish.

If one can execute and manage the clock decently there's no reason why one can't eat up the clock and also move the ball downfield which won't give the opponent meaningful time to score.

First off as for the title of the thread, the pass rush ins't nearly there, it is more like barely there....

Now on to the topic of the offense and drives, situational football gentelmen, thats what its all about, I think I heard someone say that once...

4th quarter, up by 7,inside the Bills 30 with 11 minutes left. The abosulte last thing you want to do there is throw an int and that is exactly what they did. Run the ball kill 3 minutes off the clock, kick a field goal at the very least, your up by two scores, with 8 minutes left. Bingo bal game pretty much over.

From there is the Bills scored again, the Pats would have gotten the ball back and would have burnt more time off the clock and or scored again, either way the other team would have to score on twice as many possessions as the Ptas had, surely a bet that most off us would take.

Last week loss can be directly attributed to a few things, Brady and his 4 picks, two of which were his fault, the atriocious defense, and some pretty lousey officiating.

3 penalties that killed the Pats:

Mankins holding on 2-3 late in the game. The Pats were already in field goal position and were driving. BJGE ran for about ten on 2-3 to the 30. Mankins was called for holding, the replays I saw I could only see Mankins back, but his guy did break through the line, so I'm not going to say it was a bad call. Mankins got exposed and most likely did hold. Ten yards back two incompletes, and a punt.

Love's phathom roughing the passer, the ref stated that it was a hand to the head, I say love hit Fitzpatrick around the waist, and he let upand didn't drive him to the gournd. That was absolutely a bogus call. Instead of 3-10 from thier own 5. The Bills more it out to the twenty, one pass to the fifty and then the next bad call:

PI on Sergio Brown, again, the reiciver ran into Brown and held him. PLUS THE BALL WAS TEN YARDS UP THE FEILD, the reciver was never going to be able to get to it.

If one can execute and manage the clock decently there's no reason why one can't eat up the clock and also move the ball downfield which won't give the opponent meaningful time to score.

And what if they don't execute the more conservative startegy with the same level of success and end up punting after running a 1:30 off the clock and lose 24-21? Everyone is killing them for going away from their core offense that was working.

We aren't talking about what the strategy should be with 8 minutes left and a 2 score lead. We are talking about going away from what has been working very early in the game.

This is classic 20/20 hindsight. If they score on either drive where Brady got picked in the red zone, the defense would still be a problem but no one is suggesting this is the answer. So what people are suggesting, is they should have pulled in the reins and tried to kill the clock with an offense that had already put up 21 points. They should have feared their QB, one of the handful of best ever, who had thrown 6 picks in 19+ games, would throw 4 in the next 32 minutes and the defense would not be able to overcome it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes