Welcome to PatsFans.com

Andre Carter: "The Pass Rush Is Almost There"

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by PATRIOTSFANINPA, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

2. ausbacker

ausbacker Brady > Manning. PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#51 Jersey
  3. sbpatfan

sbpatfan Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

This isn't horseshoes, Andre.
  4. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Without going back to this article I think he says they are within 2 seconds of getting to the QB...does this mean the average snap is giving opposing QBs 5 seconds or more?

I would love to know what the average seconds quarterbacks have been allowed before passing in our 3 games.
  5. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    "I believe him yo. I don't know why, but I do"
  6. Hael

Hael Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

He's right. Carter actually has gotten very close to the QB on multiple occasions.

As far as I can see, the biggest problem is they can't quite all do it at the same time. The teamwork rather than the individual talent is whats missing.

So for instance when Carter gets the speed rush, he'll get double teamed or the QB will step aside. But then no one else will breakthrough that play. Conversely, Haynesworth might get a push, but then Carter gets stuffed. Really bad net timing.

Anyway, sacks are almost always generated by teamwork in the NFL, with the exception of a few prodigies (rest assured the Patriots do not have any).
  7. DonBlackmon55

DonBlackmon55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

8. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I say have Belichick sneak quietly and unnoticed up behind the opposing QB and place two juicy fresh Cheeseburgers on top of each side of the QBs shoulder pads.

As soon as the ball is snapped, that QB will be crushed

Use bait for results...that's the solution :cool:
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  9. DonBlackmon55

DonBlackmon55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Nah, Brady needs to make a sacrifice for the team. Allow each of the front seven players to be hypnotized before the game and convince them the opposing QB is actually ...........:D
    GISELE

[​IMG]
  10. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    New base defense, haven't had the same personnel on the field, including Haynesworth Wright and Pryor.

Worry about the defense learning where to lineup at this point, sacks will come when the defense gels.
  11. Brady2Welker

Brady2Welker Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Much in the same way that when I walk from my bedroom to my bathroom I've almost walked to Cambodia.
  12. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    Defensive coordination is most important, but Andre Carter is damn good, I wouldn't expect to get a much better individual rusher. We've got some players with that ability, but we're far from being a coordinated unit right now and it may take a while.
  13. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

More of the question is while the defense tries to 'gel' and takes time to do it,how many losses can the team endure while waiting for this to happen?

It does not seem likely, but we could possibly lose the next two games as much as win them.

I am afraid of what this place will look like if the Pats drop 3 in a row.....in fact I don't want to think about it,especially when the Jets are part of that schedule.
  14. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    I'm sure they aren't trying to lose and don't understand your question, quite frankly.
  15. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I'm just saying,how long will this current defense take to 'gel' into a decent one,if ever?

Will it take 2 weeks,maybe 3...maybe a month?,Longer?.....the season is young but can get scary if they don't come together before too long.
  16. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +28 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

So, you give a brand new defense, with 4 new key players up front a few weeks to gel or it'll be scary???

I think that the time to assess some progress is after the bye. We need the dfense to gel by the time the playoffs come.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  17. TheSolderKing

TheSolderKing Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

18. Modest

Modest Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I want to believe in this defense. So badly. I want one of our new guys to turn into that one mean grandmother killing pipe hitting remorseless muther****er that we haven't had since Harrison.

Make me believe Carter. Make me believe on the field. Make me believe this Sunday.
  19. Daigle

Daigle Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Ye show me the light Carter, I wanna believe too.
  20. supafly

supafly PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +32 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#24 Jersey
    Since we don't really have much reason to believe that the offense will not continue to put up big numbers every week, I tend to agree with mgteich here. As long as we are scoring points in the early 30's, we will always have a decent chance at winning. The offense/Brady is not going to turn the ball over in 3 red zones (2 of potential scoring, 1 on their pick six) very often.

I doubt that we'd lose 3 weeks in a row, but I do understand PA's question at the same time. If the defense continues to allow close to 500 yards a game, how many times can we look to the offense to play almost perfectly and bail them out?

IMO--as long as they remain in the thick of the playoff hunt, we can wait until the stretch run; but should they begin to lose a couple in a row, or 4 out of 7-8 etc (not likely in my opinion), they may have fallen too far behind for it to matter anyway.

The bottom line is that the defense needs to at least improve. It's one thing to allow 24-27 points and 450 yards, and then gradually lower those numbers as the next few weeks go on--but it's another altogether if we are going to be involved in close games into the 3rd quarter (even 4th quarter the past couple of games) and need Brady to play like a man possessed every week to win. It's just unfair. He's going to have a bad game or two every now and then. Someone will fumble, someone will drop an easy TD, or miss an assignment like at the end of the DEN 2009 OT game (Welker). The offense just can't play perfectly. As long as they're in the thick of things come late November, they should be at least showing flashes and signs of improvement for us to seriously compete in any potential playoff tournament.
  21. ALP

ALP Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

man do i hope he's right

i just dont see it though

but this defense with a pass rush would be awesome, and championship worthy
  22. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    I don't know and still don't understand your question. I hope they beat the Raiders, that's all we can control this week.

I guess the answer would have been, in the past, who knows if you're a Lions fan in any phase of the game.

Likely in time for the playoffs, for any phase of the game, if you're a Patriots fan.

I feel we have plenty of talent on the line and line backing and i think our coach is pretty good defensively. I'm actually concerned about safety, since i'm not sure we have adequate talent.

Either way, we need to get it done defensively as a team, there is no magic pass rush when other elements re unhealthy or uneffective.
  23. Boston Tim

Boston Tim Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Umm...they're running a vanilla defense, from a standard 1-gap 4-3 formation that most of these guys have played within since high school. We're not talking about the crazy schemes from the days of 03 and 04. You've heard it from their own mouths..."my job is just to kill the QB" and stuff like that.

I just don't but the argument that they need time to gel, unless you're saying they're applying something slippery to their jerseys right before kickoff...
  24. larryo

larryo Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Maybe he means he is actually going to start running after the qb when in pursuit. Twice I've seen him jogging while the qb runs away from him.
  25. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    Defensive players play much, much better when they've played together for a while. It isn't rocket surgery.
  26. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +71 / 3 / -0

My Jersey:

Pass rushers don't need chemistry to beat their man one-on-one or run basic stunts.

That's not "rocket surgery", either.
  27. RayClay

RayClay Rookie

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    It helps to be one on one, though. Kind of depends on what's going on elsewhere.

The patriots in their best pass rushing days rarely got sacks from beating guys one on one...McGinest, once in a while.

Still much more concerned with the safeties, though from what i've seen they could blitz them every play and not give up much, since they don't know what they're doing anyway.
  28. Deus Irae

Deus Irae PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +71 / 3 / -0

My Jersey:

I hear what you're saying. I just don't think the issue is all about a failure to gel. There are problems beyond that, on all 3 levels of the defense.
  29. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Yeah, yeah......... we almost won sunday too Carter. :rolleyes:

In fairness. Fitzpatrick has a very quick release, and we were slow on that first step, so we go NOWHERE close on Sunday. I do believe that in the first 2 games, we were much closer. Last week though, not so much.

It took the Defense 6-7 weeks to really start to put it together last year (after the Cleveland game), and we have to hope that this team doesn't take that long.

As I've argued all week, I think this defense is better then we all think (or have seen so far). Taking out the Buffalo game (which it was awful), in the first two games, this Defense was allowing lots of yards, but really tightening down as the field got shorter and creating plays that denied points. In 20 or so possessions in the first two games, opposing offenses drove 50 or more yards and came away with NO POINTS on 5 occasions (either by INT, forced fumble, or TO on downs). That's a pretty significant number.

They really regressed in the Buffalo game, and that could certainly be due to us being a little short staffed in 1-2 key areas. I hope so anyway.
  30. dhamz

dhamz Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

After 3 games last year, the Pats were 2-1 and the defense was a disaster coming off consecutive shreddings by Mark Sanchez and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

They made some changes, some guys stepped up, and they progressed to the point where they were a pretty decent unit. It was an extrememly flawed defense but one that was good enough to support the Pats elite offense. It was not good enough to win games if someone shut down the offense either by out playing them or out scheming them.

I can see that development happening again which given this year's offense - more explosive but also not likely to have the historic low turnover level of last years- should be more than good enough to win a lot of games, make the playoffs, and compete for the division and HFA. Then the hope is Tom Brady and the offense roll off 3-4 great performances in a row in January/February.

If we are expecting to see this defense gel into more than that, I certainly hope it does but don't think it is very likely. There are a lot of holes personnel wise.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.