Not open for further replies.

Palm Beach Pats Fan

Pro Bowl Player
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
2022 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
The Patriots-hating narrative is to insist that they were gifted another Super Bowl, that Atlanta flat-out gave it away by not running the football late in the game.

I have explored the “alternate reality” of what was very likely to happen if the Falcons had done precisely what the second-guessers insist was the right thing to do. Never mind that the second-guessers ignore the fact that the Falcons achieved their field position, within FG range, by virtue of a 39 yard pass play and a 27 yard pass play!

My conclusion is that the game, for the Patriots, was winnable even if the Falcons ran it into the line repeatedly and kicked a FG to go up 11. The GOAT would have found a way.

----
To recap, Jones made his incredible catch at the 4:40 mark and went out of bounds, thus the clock stopped. Freeman then lost a yard and the clock ran. At 3:56 Ryan snapped it, was sacked, and the Patriots called their 1st TO at 3:50.

In the alternate reality, the Falcons instead ran it. The Patriots STILL called TO. 3:50 left, 3rd down. No difference, of course, besides field position.

Back to the real world, the Falcons then attempted a pass play, were called for holding. The penalty importantly meant that it stayed 3rd down, with the clock at 3:44. They had to repeat 3rd down, threw an incomplete pass, and the clock ran to 3:38.

In the alternate reality the Falcons instead ran it again and were stopped cold. The Patriots immediately called TO #2, the clock was at 3:44, but guess what, with no penalty, it was 4th down, not 3rd down! The Falcons then took a FG, then kicked off at about 3:40, up 11. The Patriots then, as they had all game, likely took the ball after a touchback, at the 25 yard line, down 11, with 3:40 to go, and with 1 TO in their pocket.

Back in the real world, the Patriots had the ball 16 yards further back, at the 9 yard line, with 2 TOs and 3:38 left. Note: They did not use either timeout to drive, rather methodically so as to not leave too much time for Ryan, 10 plays, 91 yards in 2:41.

I argue that the Pats play calling would have been altered if they had been down 11 points to be much more aggressive. Their goal would clearly have been to drive the lesser distance, 75 yards, in under 1:40 (before the two minute warning) rather than 91 yards in 2:41. To show that it was indeed feasible, it actually took NE an entire minute in the real world to get from the 9 yard line to the 25 yard line after the Hogan catch. In the alternate reality, after an ATL FG, KO, and touchback, they would have STARTED THERE!

So let’s say that the Patriots scored and were able to get the (untimed) 2-pt. conversion before the two minute warning, with the one TO still in their pocket. Say, at 2:03. What then?

In the alternate reality, Ghost then blasted it into the end zone so that no time ran off.

The Falcons had 1st and 10 at the 25, they ran it, were stopped, then came the 2 minute warning!

The Falcons had 2nd and 10 at the 25 yard line, ran it, were stopped, the Patriots called their last TO, then 1:57 was left!

The Falcons had 3rd and 10 at the 25 yard line, ran it, were stopped, 40 seconds ran off the play clock. 1:17 was left when the Falcons had to punt. Maybe 1:12 if the play took 5 seconds.

Assume a 40 yard punt, fair caught, the Patriots then had the football at their own 35 yard line, no timeouts, with significantly more than one minute left. They needed to gain ~30 yards to attempt a game-tying FG. Atlanta’s defense was gassed. Brady was on fire.

My conclusion it that it is entirely reasonable that it would have been an overtime game, if the Falcons did EXACTLY what their detractors say that they should have done.

Brady would have found a way.

Last edited:
You can't just assume Atlanta is going to go 3-and-out when they get the ball back. That's a really big leap.

Also, in your hypothetical scenario, if there's only 2:03 left on the clock, Atlanta's special teams coach is probably going to instruct his return man to return the kickoff, no matter how deep it is, to ensure the clock is burned and the 2-minute warning is eclipsed, which eliminates one of the "free" timeouts in your scenario. I don't recall a single kickoff going through the back of the end zone in the game, so again, I don't think it's fair to assume that Gost is going to "blast it" and force a touchback.

I like the positivity, but it feels really contrived, and I really don't think we win if Atlanta picks up that field goal.

You can't just assume Atlanta is going to go 3-and-out when they get the ball back. That's a really big leap.

Also, in your hypothetical scenario, if there's only 2:03 left on the clock, Atlanta's special teams coach is probably going to instruct his return man to return the kickoff, no matter how deep it is, to ensure the clock is burned and the 2-minute warning is eclipsed, which eliminates one of the "free" timeouts in your scenario. I don't recall a single kickoff going through the back of the end zone in the game, so again, I don't think it's fair to assume that Gost is going to "blast it" and force a touchback.

I like the positivity, but it feels really contrived, and I really don't think we win if Atlanta picks up that field goal.

Look, the whole situation of the Pats coming back at all was highly improbable. The Falcons getting the field goal does make it even tougher, but he's showing that it still wasn't impossible.

It does come to execution as you say. Ghost would have needed to blast it -- he's done so in the past, but didn't this game because it was clear they wanted Atlanta to run back. Who knows if he executes?

The run D has to hold. As you said, we don't know for sure, but one thing the Pats had done all season is stop the run when it matters. And they had shut down the run in the 2nd half already this game.

The one wildcard in this equation is the Atlanta 1st and 10 at the 25 with 2:03 to go. Knowing the time left, that's not a running down. That's their best shot to put the game away with their best play. It could be a run. It could be anything. The clock was stopping regardless. *That's* the one big play I worry about in that scenario.

Oh, and of course Ghost has to hit the field goal at the end too.

I think we CAN assume ATL that goes three and out if they make it obvious that they are running out the clock and have no intention of throwing it. Coleman was hurt and Freeman was not getting yards up the middle.

It's a good point that ATL could have been instructed to bring out the KO before the 2 minute warning even if it were fielded 8 yards deep. I think Ghost has >50% chance of stinging a low liner all the way through the end zone if that is his goal, though. This was indoors, 72 degrees. He was hanging them high all game, but i think he is comfortable blasting them.

ha i just posted about this......the try for a kill shot on 2 and a long 11 was the right one.....and the receiver was open....freeman just spaced on a simple blitz and started a chain of events

the problem wasn't the call.....they made the right call and had it open

I am not saying it would not have been even tougher had ATL kicked a FG.

I am saying that there was enough time on the clock that it was not necessarily "game over" if they had done so. The way we were moving the ball supports that, IMO.

I think we need to remember KC selling out against the run against Pitt following the failed two point conversion. One quick throw, one first down, and this essay becomes an alternative reality novel.

You kick the FG, and if the Pats get 11 points in 3 minutes, all credit to the Pats. Situational football as some guy in a hood once said.

I am not saying it would not have been even tougher had ATL kicked a FG.

I am saying that there was enough time on the clock that it was not necessarily "game over" if they had done so. The way we were moving the ball supports that, IMO.

I hear you but also want to point out that their D could have gotten a much needed breather during the FG and their O's subsequent second possession (under your scenario).

So, maybe they could have played 'less gassed', which means, your assumption on 'the way we were moving the ball' will lose support.

Kontra and I mentioned this under the Atlanta D thread.

Liked your analysis btw. :)

Thank you!

You kick the FG, and if the Pats get 11 points in 3 minutes, all credit to the Pats. Situational football as some guy in a hood once said.

If that had happened, the same people saying the Falcons choked for not running in that situation would have been calling out Atlanta for being conservative and not going for the kill the same way they did all season.

I'm not saying the Falcons were right to not run it there, just that some people will find any way to blame the Falcons rather than give all credit to the Pats.

Same thing with the OP's point. Of course it would have been more difficult to win, but it would not have been guaranteed as everyone is saying. I think assuming three run stops is very reasonable. And you can't argue they could mix in a pass there and also take issue with them going for a pass in the original situation on 2nd and 11.

The Falcons had 1st and 10 from the NE 22 with 4:40 to go. If they had run it 3 times (with NE calling a TO after 2nd and 3rd down) and then successfully made the FG, it would have been an 11 point game with about 3:45 to go.

That's a much harder row to hoe than 8 points, even with all the momentum on your side. Is it impossible? Of course not. But for all intents and purposes, you probably have to rely on a successful onside kick. Scoring a TD in less than 1:45 against a prevent defense without using any timeouts isn't something that you can just assume they would easily accomplish.

You need to factor the chance of ATL miss FG in there too...

And subsequent short field effect if they do.

The Patriots-hating narrative is to insist that they were gifted another Super Bowl, that Atlanta flat-out gave it away by not running the football late in the game.

I have explored the “alternate reality” of what was very likely to happen if the Falcons had done precisely what the second-guessers insist was the right thing to do. Never mind that the second-guessers ignore the fact that the Falcons achieved their field position, within FG range, by virtue of a 39 yard pass play and a 27 yard pass play!

My conclusion is that the game, for the Patriots, was winnable even if the Falcons ran it into the line repeatedly and kicked a FG to go up 11. The GOAT would have found a way.

----
To recap, Jones made his incredible catch at the 4:40 mark and went out of bounds, thus the clock stopped. Freeman then lost a yard and the clock ran. At 3:56 Ryan snapped it, was sacked, and the Patriots called their 1st TO at 3:50.

In the alternate reality, the Falcons instead ran it. The Patriots STILL called TO. 3:50 left, 3rd down. No difference, of course, besides field position.

Back to the real world, the Falcons then attempted a pass play, were called for holding. The penalty importantly meant that it stayed 3rd down, with the clock at 3:44. They had to repeat 3rd down, threw an incomplete pass, and the clock ran to 3:38.

In the alternate reality the Falcons instead ran it again and were stopped cold. The Patriots immediately called TO #2, the clock was at 3:44, but guess what, with no penalty, it was 4th down, not 3rd down! The Falcons then took a FG, then kicked off at about 3:40, up 11. The Patriots then, as they had all game, likely took the ball after a touchback, at the 25 yard line, down 11, with 3:40 to go, and with 1 TO in their pocket.

Back in the real world, the Patriots had the ball 16 yards further back, at the 9 yard line, with 2 TOs and 3:38 left. Note: They did not use either timeout to drive, rather methodically so as to not leave too much time for Ryan, 10 plays, 91 yards in 2:41.

I argue that the Pats play calling would have been altered if they had been down 11 points to be much more aggressive. Their goal would clearly have been to drive the lesser distance, 75 yards, in under 1:40 (before the two minute warning) rather than 91 yards in 2:41. To show that it was indeed feasible, it actually took NE an entire minute in the real world to get from the 9 yard line to the 25 yard line after the Hogan catch. In the alternate reality, after an ATL FG, KO, and touchback, they would have STARTED THERE!

So let’s say that the Patriots scored and were able to get the (untimed) 2-pt. conversion before the two minute warning, with the one TO still in their pocket. Say, at 2:03. What then?

In the alternate reality, Ghost then blasted it into the end zone so that no time ran off.

The Falcons had 1st and 10 at the 25, they ran it, were stopped, then came the 2 minute warning!

The Falcons had 2nd and 10 at the 25 yard line, ran it, were stopped, the Patriots called their last TO, then 1:57 was left!

The Falcons had 3rd and 10 at the 25 yard line, ran it, were stopped, 40 seconds ran off the play clock. 1:17 was left when the Falcons had to punt. Maybe 1:12 if the play took 5 seconds.

Assume a 40 yard punt, fair caught, the Patriots then had the football at their own 35 yard line, no timeouts, with significantly more than one minute left. They needed to gain ~30 yards to attempt a game-tying FG. Atlanta’s defense was gassed. Brady was on fire.

My conclusion it that it is entirely reasonable that it would have been an overtime game, if the Falcons did EXACTLY what their detractors say that they should have done.

Brady would have found a way.
No matter what analysis you do... the FG would have just about killed us...

EDIT: Also, this does in any way diminish what Brady and the Pat's offense pulled off the rest of the game. (And also up until that point as well, the whole come back) In order to come back from 28-3 with only 5 minutes left in the 3rd, you some breaks, and the Falcons gave us not just that one but really a couple others too..

Our Defenses performance needs more love too. In reality the D was HUGE in that comeback. Held a team averaging 40 to 21.

Scoring a TD in less than 1:45 against a prevent defense without using any timeouts isn't something that you can just assume they would easily accomplish.

The key is that it likely would have been a 75 yard drive.

We know that in reality the Patriots drove 91 yards in 2:41 (3:37 to 0:57) without hurrying very much. The Patriots even struggled at the start of the drive to get it beyond the 25, taking a full minute to move beyond the 25, at 2:34.

From that point we actually saw the Patriots drive the required distance in 1:37, less than the required amount of time to meet the hypothetical of the "run the ball" scenario, and without using any timeouts on offense.

game play-by-play: Patriots vs. Falcons - Play-By-Play - February 5, 2017 - ESPN

The key is that it likely would have been a 75 yard drive.

We know that in reality the Patriots drove 91 yards in 2:41 (3:37 to 0:57) without hurrying very much. The Patriots even struggled at the start of the drive to get it beyond the 25, taking a full minute to move beyond the 25, at 2:34.

From that point we actually saw the Patriots drive the required distance in 1:37, less than the required amount of time to meet the hypothetical of the "run the ball" scenario, and without using any timeouts on offense.

game play-by-play: Patriots vs. Falcons - Play-By-Play - February 5, 2017 - ESPN
Yes I am aware of everything you said, but if you think the Falcons play the same defense with a 2-score lead that they played with a 1-score lead, you are mistaken.

The whole dynamic - for both sides - completely changes when you need 2 scores compared to only needing 1. Assuming they could just stroll down and do it in 1:45 without using any timeouts is quite a leap. Not to mention that all this assumes the Patriots would magically find a way to stop the Falcons' run game.

Part of playing championship football is playing error-free football. I have no problem saying that Atlanta errors led to a NE victory (errors we would not have won without). But, much like the Seattle game, some people want to insist the opponent did nothing wrong because, to them, it somehow minimizes the victory.

Yes, Brady would have found a way.

However, it is simply poor coaching not to run time off the clock and kick the field goal to go ahead by 11, requiring us to get a TD, 2 point conversion, onside kick recovery AND a field goal.

If it happened to us, we would be calling for the firing of the Offensive Coordinator. Of course, their coordinator was at least partly in another world, the world of his new job of coaching the worst team in football, working for the poorest ownership leadership in football.

Our Defenses performance needs more love too. In reality the D was HUGE in that comeback. Held a team averaging 40 to 21.

This is important. Part of my feelings of hopelessness about a come back in the third quarter was not so much a disbelief in the Offense score a lot of points, but the seemingly inevitable (but wrong) sense that Atlanta was going to keep scoring points. They didn't.

Sort of on topic (hypothetical), I wonder if the tables were turned and the Pats came out to an early lead, I'm guessing the Pats game would've shifted into clock killing on offense and heavy prevent on D to the point where it would've been a sleeper of a game.

Not to mention that all this assumes the Patriots would magically find a way to stop the Falcons' run game.

What magic is required?

Atlanta running plays in the 2nd half up before the Hightower sack/fumble

Freeman for -3 yards
Coleman for 5 yards
Coleman for 0 yards
Freeman for 9 yards
Freeman for -3 yards
Coleman for -1 yards
Coleman for 8 yards
Coleman for 1 yard (Coleman injured, did not return)

8 carries for 16 yards

Patriots vs. Falcons - Play-By-Play - February 5, 2017 - ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back