PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An FYI On Mac Jones

No idea. The other thing I'm thinking is if Zappe does start again Sunday and he goes and lights things up against Cleveland, I feel like it makes sense for Jones to say "screw it" and sit out until he feels closer to 100% given that any misstep could potentially cost him his job.

Obviously, he's going to have to play well and despite playing better, the offensive line still saw Zappe flushed out on a few plays Sunday and if Jones can't move laterally, which anyone here who has ever had an ankle injury knows is painful, that's probably going to have a negative impact on his play and potentially re-aggravate it. So it probably doesn't make much sense to push it if he's not there yet.

Although, I'm not a doctor and my opinion is meaningless, so take that for what little it's worth ;)
I respect your opinion, as always, Ian.... but I think BB makes it clear every week that if the doctors say a player can play, then he is eligible to play.

If a doctor says a player can play and he chooses not to play, then that opposes what Belichick values in a player.

If Mac is medically clear to play, then the decision is completely in Belichick's hands. That's assuming Mac isn't a @!$$<. If Mac isn't up to the challenge, then he isn't our QB.

No idea. The other thing I'm thinking is if Zappe does start again Sunday and he goes and lights things up against Cleveland, I feel like it makes sense for Jones to say "screw it" and sit out until he feels closer to 100% given that any misstep could potentially cost him his job.

Obviously, he's going to have to play well and despite playing better, the offensive line still saw Zappe flushed out on a few plays Sunday and if Jones can't move laterally, which anyone here who has ever had an ankle injury knows is painful, that's probably going to have a negative impact on his play and potentially re-aggravate it. So it probably doesn't make much sense to push it if he's not there yet.

Although, I'm not a doctor and my opinion is meaningless, so take that for what little it's worth ;)
Mac is between a rock and a hard place here. This how I see the situation as well. I also see that even without the injury, Mac was dancing and turning his back in the pocket instead of finding ways to step up the pocket.
When was the last time a Pats QB dodged a rusher like Zappe did with that sure sack? I bet the oline were happy as ants on a sugar hill with that.

Last edited:
At least you can tell in this thread who the posters are that bought Mac jerseys.

Don't agree with some of the explanations for Jones’ struggles.

The habits/traits that people are saying are new to this season, aren't really new to this season, IMO.

Jones had issues with feeling the pocket last season, too. He had issues seeing the field/post-snap and missing underneath defenders last season. He had issues throwing some 'WTF' passes last season. He had issues with timing and rhythm last season (which often is the result of him struggling to stay calm in the pocket, and this is what leads to sloppy mechanics and bad velocity, not his physical traits).

Jones just doesn't strike me as particularly calm. He seems to do well when things are going well, but I've been concerned with how he responds to in-game adversity.

I know this is a hot-take, but listening to and observing Zappe, he seems more self-assured, steady, and mature at this point in time than Jones. Zappe's personality seems more serious, especially after positive plays, whereas Jones appears to really let himself indulge the positive moments at times, and have fun (which is fine, to an extent).

There's an air of confidence, character, and command that I can feel watching Zappe in the huddle and on the field, that I've never quite felt with Jones. I know that's entirely subjective but it's the way I've felt watching the two of them.

I think Jones is a good kid. I think he has the potential to improve and get better. I think he does a lot of things well right now. I'm impressed with his aptitude and conscientiousness. I think the team can win games with him.

Am I convinced Jones gives this team the best chance to win games? We need to see more from Zappe because one game is not a big enough data pool, but based on how Zappe played against Detroit, if he can build on that and do similar against stiffer competition, there's no doubt Zappe is the guy I want starting at QB for this team moving forward. Point blank.

Last edited:
Not sold on Zappe, the Lions are one of the worse D's in the league.. consider that there were 4 red zone trips against that D with no TD's. Right now he looks like a competent back up, but not sure he is much else. Time will tell.. right now Mac is QB#1, and no I do not buy jerseys of any player.

know this is a hot-take, but listening to and observing Zappe, he strikes me as more self-assured, steady, and mature at this point in time than Jones. Zappe's personality seems more serious, especially after positive plays, whereas Jones appears really let himself indulge the positive moments at times, and have fun (which is fine, to an extent).

There's an air of confidence, character, and command that I can feel watching Zappe in the huddle and on the field, that I've never quite felt with Jones. I know that's entirely subjective but it's the way I've felt watching the two of them.
Completely agree with this. I have the same feeling

I don’t care what Mac’s numbers were. If he doesn’t stop turning the ball over, he’s going to find himself benched for Zappe.
You don't mince words you get to the point. :)

Not sold on Zappe, the Lions are one of the worse D's in the league.. consider that there were 4 red zone trips against that D with no TD's. Right now he looks like a competent back up, but not sure he is much else. Time will tell.. right now Mac is QB#1, and no I do not buy jerseys of any player.
So glad BB makes the decisions and shops for the groceries. :)

I think he just needs to learn that there are ways to throw these balls where it's safer. It might not be a completion but it won't be a pick either. Like that the first one vs Mia just throw it to the back corner and Parker either makes a great play or it's way less likely to bounce up and end up intercepted.
He's trying to make to many off platform throws, that's not his strength. The ball sails on him when that happens

The thing I'm most concerned about is his ability to plant properly. When he can't plant, he doesn't do well. Back foot/off balance throws are just so inaccurate with Mac.

Tl:dr version: Zappe is running the Mac Jones 2021 offense, but we need Mac to take the offense to another level..hence the learning curve.
Is the team around him good enough to go to that next level?

In the first few games this board was on fire criticizing the O-line play and the offensive play calling, and @Tunescribe has described some of the break downs in the receiver's actions too.

Doesn't it make sense to stay vanilla while the O-line learns their roles, the receivers get more in sync with the QB, the play calling adapts to circumstances better, etc?

Go with a run-heavy attack and a passing game designed for safe passes with some YAC, rather than game breakers that seem to end up as 50/50 balls and INTs?

Maybe the team as a whole isn't ready for that next level, and expecting Jones to elevate the team is asking too much.

I pretty much feel this year is another year of learning, sorting out who stays and who goes, and with a decent off season of dropping some FAs (bye, bye Agholor), picking up some new ones, and hopefully another solid draft we can really contend next season.

Plain vanilla works OK against weak teams. Against the good teams plain vanilla rarely works. See the end of 2021 (last 5 games) and the 2021 playoffs as an example of plain vanilla against good teams.
Hot and spicy only works if you can execute hot and spicy. Otherwise it's a lot of broken plays, INTs, losses.

I get it, the goal is to be hot and spicy, but if you rush things too much you end up with a lot of frustration and perhaps even a loss of confidence in key players and key staff members too.

Just because some of us like Zappe's poise doesn't mean we're all clamoring for him. I most certainly still see Mac as a vastly superior prospect in all regards except (for now) poise when moving in the pocket. It's natural to have a little concern about Mac's jittery pocket movements. I personally can't just pretend to be blind about it. Doesn't mean I don't believe he'll get over it. In fact I fully expect he will, and it's gonna blow a lot of people's minds how this offense operates once he does.

Outside of OT against Green Bay, I don't think there has been anything to complain about regarding Patricia's playcalling. In the Patricia bashing thread I keep asking people to tell me which plays they didn't like from the first three games but nobody does. We also don't know who the first/second/third options are on passing plays that are called and given some of Mac's decision making I'm inclined to give Patricia the benefit of the doubt. I still like Mac Jones but his mechanics, ball placement, and decision making are far more of the problem.

I don't want to turn this into a Mac vs Zappe thread, but it's fascinating we have two QBs from complete opposite ends of the spectrum. Mac who got it done on the biggest stage at the biggest college and conference in all of football, but with concerns whether his future All PRo WRs made life easy for him. And then there's Zappe from a small school against below average competition but where he had to have incredible ball placement to make anything happen. I have no idea who has the higher ceiling, but when you realize BB has a history of hitting on small school stand outs (Collins, Dugger, Strange, Malcolm Butler) you can't help but feel intrigued by Zappe.
This take is kind of misguided. There is no evidence that Zapoe’s college receivers were any less open. You could just as easily say that Mac played against much better corners, and defenses.

I was. And I recall the losses being primarily due to the defense not stopping the Colts... or the Bills... twice... or the Dolphins. You saw those, right! :)
Correct.

Is the team around him good enough to go to that next level?

In the first few games this board was on fire criticizing the O-line play and the offensive play calling, and @Tunescribe has described some of the break downs in the receiver's actions too.

Doesn't it make sense to stay vanilla while the O-line learns their roles, the receivers get more in sync with the QB, the play calling adapts to circumstances better, etc?

Go with a run-heavy attack and a passing game designed for safe passes with some YAC, rather than game breakers that seem to end up as 50/50 balls and INTs?

Maybe the team as a whole isn't ready for that next level, and expecting Jones to elevate the team is asking too much.

I pretty much feel this year is another year of learning, sorting out who stays and who goes, and with a decent off season of dropping some FAs (bye, bye Agholor), picking up some new ones, and hopefully another solid draft we can really contend next season.
Love the bye, bye Agholor part really thought he would have turned the corner this year after hearing all the raves about him in TC. After the Steeler game has he become a TO machine or what?? So happy Thornton is back a real burner who can take the Top off the D.

This take is kind of misguided. There is no evidence that Zapoe’s college receivers were any less open. You could just as easily say that Mac played against much better corners, and defenses.
It's only a take in the ESPN region of France. Here on Pats Fans it's just an opinion.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back