PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amendola hung up on Adam Jones during 98.5 radio interview...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how many of you have actually had to endure an interview. It's happened to me a few times (business related stuff) but only once by 'live' media, not print. The CNBC office was nice, the producer was very pleasant (and cute) and I was well briefed on the questions that were to be asked. Then I went on air and was torched. I mean roasted and burned to a crisp. I later overheard the fight between the producer (who liked my book) and the interviewer (who had never looked at it but hated her).

The point is, there are always hidden agendas and the push for ratings. It's a mix that thrives on conflict and controversy. I don't know if DA should have hung up or not but I'll say this to his critics: if you have never lived though it, don't be too sure of what your response would have been.

Well, Mr. Hyde. I liked your Dr. Jekyll response earlier, much better.
As I said about 3 posts back, I did not hear the interview initially I was basing what I said off of what I read, having heard it I was surprised to hear that there was no animosity or anything at the time that Amendola abruptly hung up. Everything appeared fine, Danny did not seem bother, or even annoyed to answer the previous questions when Adam asked the question and Amendola just dropped off the line. He handled that poorly, it was unnecessary; he could have been an adult and said I do not want to answer these questions anymore.

The other day Bob Kraft was asked about the Hernandez situations, he did not walk away or hang up, he said I answered all those questions last year and nothing has changed, Amendola could have and should have taken a similar approach. I say this not cause I even care to hear Amendola answer those questions, because I do not, but because now Amendola has put an unnecessary target on his back in the media. If he suffers an injury, they are going to hold nothing back.

Typically, there is an understanding that when a player comes on the show to promote a charity, you shouldn't be asking him a lot of tough questions and put him on his guard. I don't know if Amendola handled the situation correctly, but since 98.5 is the one putting the spin on this they are not taking any sort of the blame for this interview. Jones basically started the interview grilling Amendola about his injuries. That was in bad form IMHO for this type of interview.
He really did not though, I thought that was the case initially based on what I read but listening to the interview Jones was not being pushy and Amendola did not sound like he was distressed when answering the previous questions. He asked him about his first season, the things he would like to improve on in his second season, and then he talked about his history or injuries as well as his current health. It was pretty straight forward to be honest.

I can honestly say I don't ever think I've rooted for a player more to shut up the critics more than Amendola.

If he breaks out for a monster year, and we win the SB, I'd love for him to walk around with the Lombardi on one hand, while giving the middle finger with the other. He'd deserve that honor.

I am really looking forward to the "Amendola Rolled 4 Way Stop Sign " thread................

I can honestly say I don't ever think I've rooted for a player more to shut up the critics more than Amendola.

If he breaks out for a monster year, and we win the SB, I'd love for him to walk around with the Lombardi on one hand, while giving the middle finger with the other. He'd deserve that honor.
What do his critics say though, that he has an injury history and is fragile? Is that really criticism or an acknowledgment of his situation. I do not think anyone picks on Amendola any more than they pick on Gronkowski, Vereen, and other players who have injuries over the last few seasons.

In my opinion, the problem is that Welker was an anomaly, he did not suffer injuries, but in general, when you put 5’10” 180lb-190lb players in positions where they are catching footballs amongst 250+lb players the likelihood that the player is going to be on the field all season is extremely low. Amendola and Edelman both have injury histories, and it is not necessarily due to them being fragile it is to do with them taking hits from players with 50+lbs on them compared to outside wide receivers who generally outweigh the player tackling them.

Slot WR games played –

- Percy Harvin – 1
- Randall Cobb – 6
- Wes Welker – 13
- Julian Edelman – 16
- Danny Amendola – 12
- Andrew Hawkins – 8
- Lance Moore – 13
- Victor Cruz – 2

Outside of Edelman who played in 16 games (for the first time in his career), every other notable slot receiver missed at least 2 games last season.

I wonder how many of you have actually had to endure an interview. It's happened to me a few times (business related stuff) but only once by 'live' media, not print. The CNBC office was nice, the producer was very pleasant (and cute) and I was well briefed on the questions that were to be asked. Then I went on air and was torched. I mean roasted and burned to a crisp. I later overheard the fight between the producer (who liked my book) and the interviewer (who had never looked at it but hated her).

The point is, there are always hidden agendas and the push for ratings. It's a mix that thrives on conflict and controversy. I don't know if DA should have hung up or not but I'll say this to his critics: if you have never lived though it, don't be too sure of what your response would have been.
Being a print journalist (the old-fashioned kind, with what I hope is integrity), I chafe at the tactics often employed by broadcast media. When they play "gotcha" and put subjects on the spot, it can sound even worse if interviewees object/evade, as they have the right to do.

What do his critics say though, that he has an injury history and is fragile? Is that really criticism or an acknowledgment of his situation. I do not think anyone picks on Amendola any more than they pick on Gronkowski, Vereen, and other players who have injuries over the last few seasons.

Sorry B6, but this has to be the least self-aware post I've ever seen.

As I said about 3 posts back, I did not hear the interview initially I was basing what I said off of what I read, having heard it I was surprised to hear that there was no animosity or anything at the time that Amendola abruptly hung up. Everything appeared fine, Danny did not seem bother, or even annoyed to answer the previous questions when Adam asked the question and Amendola just dropped off the line. He handled that poorly, it was unnecessary; he could have been an adult and said I do not want to answer these questions anymore.

The other day Bob Kraft was asked about the Hernandez situations, he did not walk away or hang up, he said I answered all those questions last year and nothing has changed, Amendola could have and should have taken a similar approach. I say this not cause I even care to hear Amendola answer those questions, because I do not, but because now Amendola has put an unnecessary target on his back in the media. If he suffers an injury, they are going to hold nothing back.

Fair enough. I don't know how the interviewer could ask those questions in a non-insulting way, not seeming like he was harping on the same thing over and over, but if their tone was such that that was the case, so be it.

He's paid to catch footballs, not to host crossfire, so if he does that, I'm fine with it. Outside of Brady, I'm sure BB would be fine with no one doing interviews, so i don't see the problem there.

OK, I listened to it. Besides sounding like some morning shock jock, the questions sound worse. He asks him nothing about football in the short interview. Zero. It could have been an interview with a cancer victim or an old lady with osteoporosis.

I'm sure football players love to be called fragile by leering, juvenile disk jockeys.

If I were a professional athlete I would hang up on Adam Jones, just another talk radio tool... have not heard him a lot, but do not enjoy him...

If I were a professional athlete I would hang up on Adam Jones, just another talk radio tool... have not heard him a lot, but do not enjoy him...

I'm sure players pass around names of attack interviewers like that, so he'll be railing about all the players that are "afraid" to go on his show pretty soon as he broadcasts to no one actually interested in football.

Didn't listen to it, didn't read any articles about it. With that said, good for any sports radio guy to ask hard questions for a change. The Boston media has been conditioned to "know their place" when it comes to the Patriots and I'm glad a few are actually trying to dig verses the majority that wait for PR handouts and tweets. The "athlete" interview with the softball questions has got to be the least interesting segment of any sports radio show only outdone by the charity plug at the end....aka...the cost of doing business. The athletes/agents treat these interviews as favors that these athletes are granting both the radio station and the listeners. Access to a celebrity at a price of one charity plug. Horrible radio.

Super Bowl build up week with radio row hosting the celebrity/charity pitch formula for 8 hours a day for 5 days. Horrible radio....... Dan Lebatard became huge in Miami because he figured out what the listeners liked and disliked.....and he refused to do a single athlete interview because the jocks were vanilla, boring, and never brought anything to the table. Felger and Maz....they consciously choose to steer clear of the snooze interview. Just two examples of shows that refused to be a part of this media game....and both happen to own their markets.

What's really surprising is the level of conditioning by some who get offended that a Boston media member might make a Patriot uncomfortable by asking for some straight talk for a change. Don't blame Adam Jones for asking what fans want to know, blame DA and his agent for choosing the wrong media outlet to sell their cause. For some media, the mere presence of a celebrity isn't enough to fill the airwaves with vanilla fluff for 5 minutes.

I think Adam Jones should go over to Dana Farber and ask people why they got cancer.

Asking tough questions about issues a player can change is fine - - ask away at Ridley for his fumbling problem.

Asking continually a guy like Amendola why he got injured and why his bone structure may or may not be as strong as some others is like asking Doug Flutie why he is so short. There is nothing he can do about it. It's a question for the Front Office, not the player.

People like you and Adam Jones simply want to persecute players. Hey, at least Jones has a personal professional reason - he sees how it gave wings to Jim Rome's career.

Last edited:
Sorry B6, but this has to be the least self-aware post I've ever seen.
I'm not a member of the media 50 and anything I have said about Amendola in the past is accurate and supported.

OK, I listened to it. Besides sounding like some morning shock jock, the questions sound worse. He asks him nothing about football in the short interview. Zero. It could have been an interview with a cancer victim or an old lady with osteoporosis.

I'm sure football players love to be called fragile by leering, juvenile disk jockeys.
What are you talking about he asked him about his first season with the Patriots and as well as the things he was aiming to improve on this season.

What are you talking about he asked him about his first season with the Patriots and as well as the things he was aiming to improve on this season.

Is he looking to improve his bone density?

Is he looking to improve his bone density?
No, he spoke extensively about the aspects of his game that he would like to improve on. Let me ask you a question, would you really expect Amendola not to be asked about his injury history given it has been an issue for 3 straight seasons in the NFL? That is a really naïve belief for Amendola to have if he actually did have it.

Fair enough. I don't know how the interviewer could ask those questions in a non-insulting way, not seeming like he was harping on the same thing over and over, but if their tone was such that that was the case, so be it.

He's paid to catch footballs, not to host crossfire, so if he does that, I'm fine with it. Outside of Brady, I'm sure BB would be fine with no one doing interviews, so i don't see the problem there.
To be clear, I do not hold what Amendola did against him, my only point is that unlike you all I am not sitting here suggesting what he did was the only or best option. He could have taken a more professional approach that would not have created a perception of a player who when presented with a question he does not like throws a temper tantrum and hangs up on the opportunity to promote a charity. Amendola put his feelings before Catches for Kids, that is what I am disappointed in, if he was on their just to discuss football and did not like it and hung up I would not even give it a second glance. The fact is his actions could have soared people from contributing to his charity and if that takes even $1 out of a needy kids pocket that is bad taste in my mind.

I think Adam Jones should go over to Dana Farber and ask people why they got cancer.

Asking tough questions about issues a player can change is fine - - ask away at Ridley for his fumbling problem.

Asking continually a guy like Amendola why he got injured and why his bone structure may or may not be as strong as some others is like asking Doug Flutie why he is so short. There is nothing he can do about it. It's a question for the Front Office, not the player.

People like you and Adam Jones simply want to persecute players. Hey, at least Jones has a personal professional reason - he sees how it gave wings to Jim Rome's career.
Shmessy if the cancer patients answering those questions could benefit a charity to help needy children I would be all for the questions being asked, there was something a lot bigger than Amendola, and Adam Jones here there are real kids with real needs that are being pushed to the background of this.

Shmessy if the cancer patients answering those questions could benefit a charity to help needy children I would be all for the questions being asked, there was something a lot bigger than Amendola, and Adam Jones here there are real kids with real needs that are being pushed to the background of this.

I've never heard of this guy and i doubt he has much sway. Hanging up on him probably gets Amendola's charity ten times the exposure it would have from the 30-40 listeners to that show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST