PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Albert Breer Postgame

Status
Not open for further replies.
He absolutely has a point. Something was very wrong for that fall to re-break that arm, and someone should probably lose a job over this.

Something was very wrong. The arm was allowed to heal for ~2 months. If there was a structural problem where blood flow or whatever prohibited complete healing, you'd think MRIs etc. would have shown it. Either somebody medical made a serious mis-judgement or somebody football (most likely would have to be BB) over rode medical advice saying he was not healed. My bet is that the medical staff missed something here. Hard to believe though.

I agree.

If someone with more credibility and less history of douchebaggery than Albert Breer had asked the question, we wouldn't be shooting the messenger.

The fact is, Rob Gronkowski applied pressure to his arm once, and it broke. How anyone can think the Patriots medical staff did their job right is beyond me. It has nothing to do with Belichick, and that's where Breer gets annoying.

Thomas Gill has served as the team doctor for both the Sox and the Pats, and he's had some controversial mistakes along the way. I hope the Patriots re-assess the medical staff in the offseason.

Being honest when I am asking what controversial mistakes have been made? I can't think of any

That is one something I have never understood how/why that happened. At the Herald Breer was basically Mike Reiss with his Pats blog before Reiss started doing the same with the Globe. When he came back from Dallas it was as if he had a 180º turn in his attitude about the Patriots. Did BB or the Pats organization do something to Breer? Was it a conscious decision to report in a more negative manner? Regardless of whether Breer is right or wrong on this subject, when was the last time he had something complimentary to say about the Patriots - when he worked at the Herald?

Breer's "Tales of the Tape" was must reading pre-Reiss. Mysteriously, the Lincoln-Sudbury grad morphed from an analytical insights writer into an opinionated rumor mongering mediot with a strong anti-Patriots agenda.

somebody in the Pats org ran over his dog or something

Last edited:
Something was very wrong. The arm was allowed to heal for ~2 months. If there was a structural problem where blood flow or whatever prohibited complete healing, you'd think MRIs etc. would have shown it. Either somebody medical made a serious mis-judgement or somebody football (most likely would have to be BB) over rode medical advice saying he was not healed. My bet is that the medical staff missed something here. Hard to believe though.

Well, as fans, I am comfortable saying that we likely haven't had full disclosure on the injury. Is it more in the elbow area? Like everyone else, why after six weeks does it re-break so easily on a routine football play? Sounds like someone missed something.

Like Fanene's degenerate knees, I wonder?

Sometimes "experts" rely on reputation and get sloppy or really don't live up to their rep.

On the football side BB has disregarded good scouting advice and picked losers in the draft so he's not above disregarding well-researched expert advice.

I have no idea what happened here but your example shows indications of a pattern. I'd add a 3rd recent example where AH seemingly came back way too soon and re-injured the ankle. Maybe Logan Mankins this season too. Based on all these examples, I'm leaning towards suspecting BB here as much as I hate to be in the same opinion universe as Breer.

The difference was that after Gronk was re-injured they did not put him back out there allowing his ineffectiveness to cost us the game.

And also not allowing him to do further damage to his arm.

gronk had what...6-7 weeks since he broke it? I am pretty sure it would have been at least 75%+..good enough in the NFL..just bad luck he landed on it wrong and rebroke it
Exactly, its been a while since he broke it. The reflexive way he used his arm to break his fall is just bad luck.

Last edited:
One point he makes is BB is willing to lose a game in the interest of improving the team long term. Not saying he loses on purpose....although I have had my suspicions. Frustrating for us as fans wnen he closes the playbook, stops blitzing, puts in scrubs...when we want a blowout or a shutout.

This is brilliant big picture coaching and I'm guessing he is the only one with the caché to do so.

I"d also be willing to bet he calls more defensive TO's than any other coach.

Not a student of the game, but I didn't notice any full on blitzes last night and he let them have 10 yard pases all day....like he knew it was only a matter of time before Schaub crapped his pants.

That was classic BB when the Pats scored and he paused briefly before going back to coaching up the D...like it was irrelevant to the situation at hand.

Both players were put on the field with an existing injury that had not yet healed and were seriously re-injured. Won't be popular here, but he has a point.

Players play with existing injuries all the time. Are there people out there that didn't realize Gronk's arm wasn't 100%? Did they not see the cast on his arm? Do they not see the countless other players with casts, taped ankles and braces? They aren't taped, braced because they are 100% either. So yeah, there are some similarities between the two, just like there are countless other similarities out there. However, that is where the similarities end. The real shame is with RGIII he was pushed to a point where it may effect his long term career. It is doubtful that that is the case with Gronkowski.

As for the blame of the medical staff, there may be some truth to this, but given that this was the back end of the return estimates (8 weeks), I find it hard to believe that he was rushed back. They may have missed something in the xrays but it was more likely just one of these freak injuries.

Come on. You've had heavier falls from your bed to the floor.

I know people that have broken bones with less force. Heck, he originally broke it blocking on a PAT. If anything is to blame, it may be something lacking in his diet that his making his bones way too brittle. It may be as simple as not having enough vitamin D. I know that there are several sports teams that are starting to regularly check their players vitamin level to check for susceptibility to injury.

One point he makes is BB is willing to lose a game in the interest of improving the team long term. Not saying he loses on purpose....although I have had my suspicions. Frustrating for us as fans wnen he closes the playbook, stops blitzing, puts in scrubs...when we want a blowout or a shutout.

This is brilliant big picture coaching and I'm guessing he is the only one with the caché to do so.

I"d also be willing to bet he calls more defensive TO's than any other coach.

Not a student of the game, but I didn't notice any full on blitzes last night and he let them have 10 yard pases all day....like he knew it was only a matter of time before Schaub crapped his pants.

That was classic BB when the Pats scored and he paused briefly before going back to coaching up the D...like it was irrelevant to the situation at hand.
I don't know about losing games on purpose but I'd say there have been "teaching moments" sprinkled into this season and those past.

One full out blitz I recall yesterday was on the play where Arian Foster caught the swing pass from Schaub and was tackled by Talib barely past the first down marker (BB challenged the spot). As for the 10 yard passes, you have to ask yourself, how many QBs are capable of playing a full game in the NFL without making a mistake (or mistakes) that cost their team the game? Eventually most will not find the open man, or throw that killer INT (see week 10 vs BUF; Fitzpatrick INT to McCourty in the end zone to seal game). Schaub doesn't have it in him to carry the Texans and BB made sure to try and make him do so.

Come on. You've had heavier falls from your bed to the floor.

And I have also broken my forearm 3 times. The final time in a hockey game barely hitting the boards with less force than he had last night and I weigh about 100lbs less. This was a break about 14 weeks after the previous one. Freak stuff happens. I am not saying the medical staff didn't miss something. But you can't say for certain they missed something either.

That is something I have never understood how/why that happened. At the Herald Breer was basically Mike Reiss with his Pats blog before Reiss started doing the same with the Globe. When he came back from Dallas it was as if he had a 180º turn in his attitude about the Patriots. Did BB or the Pats organization do something to Breer? Was it a conscious decision to report in a more negative manner? Regardless of whether Breer is right or wrong on this subject, when was the last time he had something complimentary to say about the Patriots - when he worked at the Herald?

Breer got cruxified in Dallas as a "Yankee" and "Pats lover".

Seems he figured the way to the national stage. NFLN employment does kinda prove this.

And I have also broken my forearm 3 times. The final time in a hockey game barely hitting the boards with less force than he had last night and I weigh about 100lbs less. This was a break about 14 weeks after the previous one. Freak stuff happens. I am not saying the medical staff didn't miss something. But you can't say for certain they missed something either.

I can't say for certain that Peyton Manning threw an interception in overtime yesterday, either, since I wasn't actually there. I can make a pretty safe assumption, though.

I can't say for certain that Peyton Manning threw an interception in overtime yesterday, either, since I wasn't actually there. I can make a pretty safe assumption, though.

And I can make a safe assumption that it was freak accident.

And your Peyton analogy makes no sense. Because you can say for certain he threw the INT on Saturday in OT because of the video evidence.

Breer just made the RGIII comparison again on "Around the League."

Last edited:
And I can make a safe assumption that it was freak accident.

No, you can't. Your assumption is anything but safe. In fact, it's highly unlikely in light of the surrounding facts. That's the point.

And your Peyton analogy makes no sense. Because you can say for certain he threw the INT on Saturday in OT because of the video evidence.

I saw video evidence of the Gronk re-break too. What's your point?

Last edited:
Um, all video evidence of the Gronk re-break shows is that he re-broke it. Not that something was medically missed. You have no video evidence of doctors misreading an MRI or of BB overriding their medical opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back