PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Akeem Ayers

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the base 34 I would imagine that Ayers will end up inside next to Collins with HT going back to his beastly WOLB role and Jones on the right/Nink on the left, being SOLB and WDE depending on which side is strong.

In the base 34 I would imagine that Ayers will end up inside next to Collins with HT going back to his beastly WOLB role and Jones on the right/Nink on the left, being SOLB and WDE depending on which side is strong.
HT at 3-4 WOLB would be ideal, but I don't think it will happen since he's calling the defense. Only ILBs usually do that.

HT at 3-4 WOLB would be ideal, but I don't think it will happen since he's calling the defense. Only ILBs usually do that.
That doesn't matter. There is no position requirement to lead the huddle.

That doesn't matter. There is no position requirement to lead the huddle.
It's not just about the huddle. It's running the checks and making the calls in formation. Can't practically to that without being in the middle of the defense.

It's not just about the huddle. It's running the checks and making the calls in formation. Can't practically to that without being in the middle of the defense.

I dont think it matters if he is inside the DE or outside the DE for that purpose.
Also, I don't think it is as big an issue as you suggest.

I dont think it matters if he is inside the DE or outside the DE for that purpose.
Also, I don't think it is as big an issue as you suggest.
Well...we'll see when Jones is back.

Collins has also called the defense.

Not in the regular season I don't think.

Yes, he has. He did it in the Buffalo game when Mayo went out (Hightower was out for that game), and reportedly did it quite well:

When the Patriots lost Jerod Mayo to a knee injury in the second quarter of Sunday's 37-22 win over Buffalo, they were suddenly down their two top defensive signal-callers. Because Dont'a Hightower was ruled inactive before the game due to a knee injury, those duties fell to linebacker Jamie Collins.

The second-year man out of Southern Mississippi handled them well, finishing the game with four tackles and an interception.

"Jamie, he's been in that position before in practice and so forth," Belichick said. "But he stepped up and gave us a lot of leadership, handled the signal calls, calling the checks and so forth. Jamie did a good job. Thank God we had him today."

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/belichick-thank-god-we-had-collins-today

I think there has been some times since then as well, but I'm not 100% certain.

I think people forget that collins really started playing around this time last year. Up until last nov/dec he wa a part time role player in his rookie year. so hes only stated a handful of games, but people act like he has years of experience when critiquing his play.

Ayers is a nice find, low investment.. big return. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

Casillas was also very noticeable on ST's....
It is amazing how some coaches get their noses out of joint. Then they screw themselves and their organizations. Ayers was an early Second round quality LB, and BB got him for loose change in the sofa.

Casillas is another player not quite as good, but very valuable to a Belichick more than others. He is that mythical super ST player, that can also play well in a regular Defense.

At the trade deadline BB has essentially completed the lower rounds of the next draft at no cost. Ayers, Casillas and especially Alan Branch may solve all the needs for the 2015 Draft save for DE, OL and RB(s).

Plus BB has a 1, 2, 2x 3 and 2x 4s plus a 6, 7 to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes