Welcome to PatsFans.com

Ahmad Brooks

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by bevster, Feb 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bevster

bevster PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

GBN reports the rumor that Ahmad Brooks has been dismissed from Virginia's football program.

Has anyone else heard this? If he has been dismissed, can he still be draft eligible for 2006?
  2. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

From a Patriot perspective eligibility or lack thereof would be a moot point, he's now Raider material.
  3. bkinnas

bkinnas Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

the cavs website is claiming he has been tossed and will apply for the supplemental draft
  4. PatsWorldChamps

PatsWorldChamps Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

so if he goes sup draft, we could offer our 2007 #1 for him, right?
  5. Mulehead

Mulehead Moderator

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Technically speaking we "could". But if we did I'd want Pioli and BB's head examined. Brooks can't stay healthy and has major off-field issues. I might not mind a 6th or 7th round flyer if the kid's interview was out of sight, but some other team will probably spend an earlier pick on him.
  6. rookBoston

rookBoston Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0

Yeah, the Raiders or the Vikes.
  7. NEPatriot

NEPatriot Banned

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

I've thought Brooks would look good in the Pats middle, but the off the field issues are a concern. If the reports are true, getting kicked off the team doesn't bode well for starting an NFL career. I'm less concerned about the injuries, but still something to consider. I did a search on Brooks and one site had him up to almost 280 lbs. If he goes into the Suplimental Draft, a later round flier might just be worth it.
  8. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +207 / 16 / -38

#50 Jersey

According to ESPN, this is a false rumor. That Brooks has not been kicked off the team.
  9. bkinnas

bkinnas Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It has been a long, tough stretch for Virginia coach Al Groh, as he has faced off-field problems with a couple of key players, as well as the task of rebuilding his coaching staff after four departures late last year. It seemed as if football and recruiting had become the focus again, until this week anyway. CavsCorner.com has learned that one of UVa's expected top players for the 2006 season has been dismissed from the team.

Associated Press

Ahmad Brooks' playing days at Virginia are now over.
    Ahmad Brooks, considered among the best linebackers in the nation when healthy, will no longer be a part of the Virginia program, according to sources close to the situation.

The decision to release Brooks from the team was made after an off-field incident that recently took place, although sources refused to elaborate on the specifics.

The 6-foot-4, 249-pound rising senior had just decided last month to return to UVa for his final year of eligibility and not enter the NFL draft.

Sources said he will now submit an appeal to be included in the draft this April or look to be a part of the NFL's supplemental draft that takes place each summer.

http://virginia.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=514271
  10. DaBruinz

DaBruinz Pats, B's, Sox PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +207 / 16 / -38

#50 Jersey

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&%09s=1045855934950&c=MGArticle&cid=1137834179510&path=%21sports%21colleges%21uva

Sorry, bkinnas. Your "AP" Article is just a rumor.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2006
  11. PatDaPatriot

PatDaPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Despite his talent, Brooks isn't Patriots material...
  12. Weishuhn

Weishuhn Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

All it would take take is a five second call to BB friend Al Groh to see if this guy is worth the hassle.
  13. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 2 / -0

#12 Jersey

If Brook's head is on straight, I take him in a skinny minute. As I said, if his head is on straight, he is the prototypical 3-4 ILB and the best 3-4 ILB that college football has produced in quite some time.
    He's smart, got great instincts, great lateral movement, sheds blockers extremely quickly and while he's above average against the run, he's also decent in coverage.
    I would be extremely interested to learn what "team rule" he broke.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.