PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After this draft... Who loses their starting job? Who gets cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do seem overloaded with DE-LB hybrid types, and that needs to get sorted out with Scott, Carpenter, Bequette, Hightower, Jones, Cunningham, Ninkovich all in play. But they are all different, in terms of potential, age and experience in the scheme. And, collectively, there is so much versatility. Most of them can all play from a 3-pt stance and many of them could probably shift inside, too; Hightower for certain. Given that this has been a position of weakness over the last few years, suddenly being flush with options is a bit of a shock.

Perhaps the player most significantly impacted is Andre Carter, who isn't even under contract. Even if he comes back healthy, will BB sign him for another 1 year stint, only to cut one of these younger guys? My guess is the preference would be to give the snaps to one of the kids, and go with a little trial by fire.
Yea, why not. He did that last year.

3-4 base
Jack-Mike-Will-Sam
Jones-Mayo-Hightower-Ninkovich
Jones - Mayo - Spikes - Hightower

Spikes was one of our standouts on defense. Some think he had the best Superbowl game of anyone on our defense and I agree. I don't think BB wouldve drafted Spikes in the 2nd rd a couple years ago to replace him already.

4-3 under
Will-Mike-Sam
Mayo-Hightower-Ninkovich
Mayo - Spikes - Hightower

Hightower is bigger, stronger, faster, more intimidating, great at shedding blocks.

He will take Ninkovich's spot fairly quickly.

Last edited:
Goodbye all finesse players ... that's all that needs to be said - 2001 has returned. :D

Last edited:
Jones - Mayo - Spikes - Hightower

Spikes was one of our standouts on defense. Some think he had the best Superbowl game of anyone on our defense and I agree. I don't think BB wouldve drafted Spikes in the 2nd rd a couple years ago to replace him already.

Mayo - Spikes - Hightower

Hightower is bigger, stronger, faster, more intimidating, great at shedding blocks.

He will take Ninkovich's spot fairly quickly.

Yes but Ninkovich is more SLB than Hightower is. Hightower is a MLB. He rushes from the inside when he rushes. When will you get that through your thick skull?

4-3 Nickel
Will-Mike-Sam
Mayo-Spikes-Hightower
Jones (RDE) and Ninkovich(LDE)

What's a 4-3 Nickel? Is that a formation with 4 DL, 3 LBs, and 5 DBs?

My big question mark is Dane Fletcher. I think he's a quality football player, but how does he get on the field with this roster?

My big question mark is Dane Fletcher. I think he's a quality football player, but how does he get on the field with this roster?

I think that Fletcher will become a depth guy at one of the ILB positions (I think Spikes will be gone after his rookie contract) and possibly learn a little bit about DE (that was his position in college) in the nickel.

What's a 4-3 Nickel? Is that a formation with 4 DL, 3 LBs, and 5 DBs?

Yup, you nailed it. You sacrifice a little bit of size for speed in the front since it's used in obvious passing situations.

Too many linebackers on the Pats. What magical universe have I stumbled into? Wherever it is I don't want to leave. Whoever plays the best and starts so be it but I see a lot of mixing and matching.

And I am a yes on bringing Carter back and letting him compete for a spot. Flat-out best player on D last year not named Wilfork.

3-4 NT - Wilfork, Love, Brace

3-4 DE - Deaderick, Fanene, Pryor

3-4 ILB - Mayo, Spikes, Fletcher, Hightower

3-4 OLB - Ninkovich, Cunningham, T. Scott, C. Jones, Bequette, M. Carter

Cornerback - Arrington, McCourty, Dowling, S. Moore, W. Allen, Dennard

Safety - Chung, Barrett, Gregory, T. Wilson

Special Teams Linebackers - T. White, Koutouvides, Tarpinian, Carpenter, Larsen

Special Teams Defensive Backs - S. Brown, R. Ventrone, M. Williams, M. Cole, N. Ebner

Fletcher is a good enough player and versatile enough that they'll figure something out. He can play any LB position in a 4-3, inside in a 3-4, plus as an DE/OLB in passing situations. Now that his cast is gone, I think he might get more pass rushing opportunities this coming season. He was pretty useful as a situational rusher in 2010, but not so much in 2011.

Last edited:
another year of 10 of our cuts geting picked up by the league. Hopefully we can get something in trade this time for a couple of them.

Belichick didn't trade up for Dont'a Hightower to have him riding the pine. He will fit perfectly in Ninkos spot. OLB in both the 34 and 43, with a little bit of DE. The question isn't IF it will happen, the question is "How long does it take for it to happen?". Sometime before Week 8 is my guess. Maybe even Week 1.

BB typically puts either 4 LBs on the field (up to 2 of whom might line up at DE, especially in sub packages), or else 3 LBs plus a rush DE.

Who are the 4 LBs you think will get all the snaps ahead of Ninkovich? Mayo and Hightower may play all game, but that still leaves about 2 positions to be handled by committee -- Spikes, Ninkovich, Carter, Jones.

And I doubt Hightower plays all game as a rookie anyway.

You're right that Cunningham has to compete hard to stay on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes