PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After Over 500 Days, Goodell's Comments Remain Head-Scratching

Status
Not open for further replies.
The league office has operated as if leverage is all that is necessary to achieve their desired conclusion and Goodell used the SpyGate resolution (punishment contract w/ NE) as his spike to pin Krafty into a prone position.

Leverage is the tool of choice in business but courts are supposed to base their decisions on law. Because the ongoing appeals phases are narrowly focused on the Commissioner's bargained rights, I fear Goodell and the NFL's tactics will never receive the scrutiny they deserve. For this reason, I hope Brady goes the distance and sues the NFL. This onion needs to be peeled back and exposed. No jury in the world would ignore the mounting scientific evidence ( and common sense) that lays waste to the Wells Report.

Get the Commissioner on the stand and get him to publicly admit he is the pawn of the Vindictive 31…..and Brady might get his own team.

Raise your hand if the mere mention of the words Commissioner or the name Roger Goodell makes your eye twitch.
download

I think the problem is (for me) that people who think they are in the majority are right (because they are the majority).

Which I find ironic because it's the vocal minority that can usually start to swing the pendulum. It only takes 1 organization (media-related) to do an investigative report to dig a bit deeper and uncover a few nuggets to push this thing along.

It won't require a complete exposure, but just 1 person with a conscious to help it all unravel. There's a limited number of people (who might not get protection if this blows up) to focus on.
the "story" is now focusing on CBA/labor law.

Let's get this back to the beginning to see how it was started by people with an agenda. Or, in the unlikely case the Patriots were guilty, then so be it (which I would say is highly improbably for all the reasons we all know so well).

I do not believe Roger thinks Brady is guilty. Maybe prior to the realization of the IGL he did but not now. Nope. He and his crew of clueless cohorts started a forest fire, poured gas on it and forgot to bring the marshmellows. He has nothing to roast but now has to legitimize the fire.

But yes, the mere mention of his name and the word integrity definitely turns my stomach.

My guess is that Goodell continues to operate from the premise of guilt. I don't think he has read the Wells report much less the critiques of the report. Guilt had been decided sometime before the Colts game.

Every time someone mentions deuschecanoes name or revs up the microwave I piss my pants and forget who I am for about half an hour or so.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: Ian
I have felt from the start that Kensil tried to orchestrate a sting operation aimed at nailing Belichick and thought he had pulled it off when he and Pash leaked lies to Mortenson and company. Once it went national there was no turning back and every action after was done with the goal of protecting the league office and Goodell from having the sting operation exposed. Had the truth come out that the league office had been targeting one team heads would have had to roll and Goodell's could have been one of them. The entire episode should have been shut down the moment Vincent acknowledged that they didnt know what the Ideal Gas Law was, but there was too much at stake for a commissioner who was already reeling from a string of embarrassments brought on by his own incompetence. And ultimately its likely that his incompetence will be his undoing in the resolution of deflategate. Goodell's abuse of the role of arbitrator will be his demise as he levied punishment during an appeal that wasn't part of what was being appealed, and the court cannot allow that to stand without putting the entire system of arbitration in jeopardy.

Goodell doesn't make sense because he has stacked lie upon lie and cannot keep them straight from one day to the next. Hopefully a Brady win in this case will be Goodell's demise as conmissioner, nothing would be a more just outcome.

For some reason my text has all turned into italics, going to have to fix that.

Nice post @Ian, I hope it was cathartic for you. I enjoyed reading it. Happy belated 40th buddy :)

I have felt from the start that Kensil tried to orchestrate a sting operation aimed at nailing Belichick and thought he had pulled it off when he and Pash leaked lies to Mortenson and company. Once it went national there was no turning back and every action after was done with the goal of protecting the league office and Goodell from having the sting operation exposed. Had the truth come out that the league office had been targeting one team heads would have had to roll and Goodell's could have been one of them. The entire episode should have been shut down the moment Vincent acknowledged that they didnt know what the Ideal Gas Law was, but there was too much at stake for a commissioner who was already reeling from a string of embarrassments brought on by his own incompetence. And ultimately its likely that his incompetence will be his undoing in the resolution of deflategate. Goodell's abuse of the role of arbitrator will be his demise as he levied punishment during an appeal that wasn't part of what was being appealed, and the court cannot allow that to stand without putting the entire system of arbitration in jeopardy.

Goodell doesn't make sense because he has stacked lie upon lie and cannot keep them straight from one day to the next. Hopefully a Brady win in this case will be Goodell's demise as conmissioner, nothing would be a more just outcome.

For some reason my text has all turned into italics, going to have to fix that.

That was an opportunity for Goodell to show...INTEGRITY... and end this, even if it meant firing some of his closest advisers/friends. He could have told the truth, that Kensil, Vincent and company acted over zealously and were wrong in their assumptions.

Had Goodell done that, he would have been praised for taking a stand and making the right decision, even if it made him look bad and led to the dismissal of some of his inner circle. I don't believe it would have led to his dismissal, because, if he survived the Ray Rice debacle, he could survive this. Even if it did, it wouldn't have been immediate and Goodell could have engineered a nice soft and lucrative exit, while having a say in who his successor is.

As far as Goodell having some dirt on New England, why wouldn't he use this information to get Brady and the team to back down, accept things, and drop this? If he's not going to play that card now, when would he? I think it's simpler: Goodell doesn't believe "his guys" were wrong and he definitely doesn't believe that he could ever be wrong.

As I said earlier, Goodell could have made a tough call and ended this all sometime between January and May of 2015. Instead, he chose to protect his cronies and himself. In the long run, that decision will do more to damage the integrity of the game than 11 footballs below 12.5 PSI.

I actually wrote that Monday after his comments in Buffalo but didn't want to run it while minicamp was going on, and held it for this morning.

I just don't get it. I don't understand the mindset behind being so Hell-bent at suspending him when there's so much evidence to the contrary and so little to do something so severe to a guy with no history of wrongdoing. Not to mention the stunt they pulled with measuring the footballs and then refusing to release the numbers because they obviously likely backed up Brady's case. If I'm Kraft, I might have pushed the league on that given the PR nightmare they were also put through during this.

Like I said, unless he knows something we don't, I just don't understand how he honestly believes that nailing him to the wall is the way to go, along with why he insists on making statements that essentially smears Brady, insinuating he's a cheater by saying "the rules apply to everyone." On what grounds does he have to say that, unless there's some evidence we haven't seen that makes there case? Honestly, with all the evidence and after re-reading the Wells Report the other night, and the transcript from the appeal, there's absolutely nothing there aside from some texts being taken out of context.

Needless to say, I don't get why he continues to say the things he is given what we know, although I'm sure everyone here obviously feels the same way. But overall those quotes from Monday just really, really, irked me. I hope the re-hearing is granted and if it's pushed to 2017, this at least goes away for a while.

I actually wrote that Monday after his comments in Buffalo but didn't want to run it while minicamp was going on, and held it for this morning.

I just don't get it. I don't understand the mindset behind being so Hell-bent at suspending him when there's so much evidence to the contrary and so little to do something so severe to a guy with no history of wrongdoing. Not to mention the stunt they pulled with measuring the footballs and then refusing to release the numbers because they obviously likely backed up Brady's case. If I'm Kraft, I might have pushed the league on that given the PR nightmare they were also put through during this.

Like I said, unless he knows something we don't, I just don't understand how he honestly believes that nailing him to the wall is the way to go, along with why he insists on making statements that essentially smears Brady, insinuating he's a cheater by saying "the rules apply to everyone." On what grounds does he have to say that, unless there's some evidence we haven't seen that makes there case? Honestly, with all the evidence and after re-reading the Wells Report the other night, and the transcript from the appeal, there's absolutely nothing there aside from some texts being taken out of context.

Needless to say, I don't get why he continues to say the things he is given what we know, although I'm sure everyone here obviously feels the same way. But overall those quotes from Monday just really, really, irked me. I hope the re-hearing is granted and if it's pushed to 2017, this at least goes away for a while.

This is why I think it is not so much Goodell as it is the owners driving this. It makes no sense for Goodell to take such a hardline position except for the fact that he got himself into a position that he felt obligated to justify and defend. And I think the owners were the ones pushing this - it was not the NFL that started this - it was the Colts and likely the Ravens. The owners are not out to get Brady per se - they are out to destroy the Patriots and BB. And this is why I do not think that Deflategate is the end of this - no matter the resolution. The Patriots are at war with the other NFL owners - and they need to realize this.

Brady just got caught in the crossfire, the real driving force is protecting the league office and his his staff from the scandal of being caught red handed trying to seriously damage one franchise in a failed sting operation and leaking lies to the media. Goodell would not have weathered that exposure.

I don't understand why when he says these things that some reporters or any reporter challenge his statements with the facts. He gets away with it time after time after time.

I think it's much easier to understand it all is this way.
Goodell is the junior high school president and the owners are the classmates.
It is that level of emotional maturity that runs the league.
They are good at being bullies to make money and the shelf is empty beyond that.

The reason for this, in addition to what @Ivan said above, is that Goodell is simply protecting his power. He leans on Article 46 to basically do whatever he wants, and Brady/NFLPA have been fighting tooth and nail to bring that down. He already lost against Berman but somehow pulled a 2-1 victory in appeal, and he's damn well not going to start making comments that run counter to his position now. Considering the circumstances, he can't exactly come out and admit in an interview that they don't have a strong position, because the NFLPA will use those comments against him.

Essentially, he is saying "Brady cheated" because he feels saying anything less than that will diminish his power and his position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News