Not open for further replies.

QuantumMechanic

Burn it all down!
PatsFans.com Supporter
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Sadly, he's probably quite right.

Greg Bedard said:
He should have been removed from office, but if the spineless owners haven’t done it by now, they’re never going to do it.

Did the owners like that the issue of Brady’s suspension dragged on for 545 days? No, but they love the result that will only strengthen the league and Goodell. He doubled down after Judge Richard Berman thwarted the league at the circuit court level. A loss in the appeals court could have been fatal for Goodell. But he won, and he won huge.

Even if Patriots owner Robert Kraft wanted to seek retribution and lead an ouster of Goodell, which all of New England would love to see (it’s about the only thing Kraft can do to reclaim his rightful place among Patriots fans), it’s not going to happen. NFL owners agreed to the rules and also that the threshold was a “preponderance of the evidence.” That the Patriots hit back so aggressively—both off the record and, later, on it—only bonded the other 31 teams against the Patriots’ position even more. It’s O.K. to appeal a league decision, but to engage in a lengthy all-out assault against the league and its personnel is just not how it’s done in the executive lodge. And when the Patriots basically trashed league counsel/executive vice president of labor Jeff Pash repeatedly, the Krafts were on their own. Pash generated a lot of goodwill around league circles with his long service, spearheading the labor strategy that yielded the new CBA. His public flogging did not go over well.

At this point, Goodell would win an ownership vote at worst 30–2, if not 31–0 with one abstention.

Roger Goodell is more secure than ever as NFL commissioner

That the Patriots hit back so aggressively—both off the record and, later, on it—only bonded the other 31 teams against the Patriots’ position even more. It’s O.K. to appeal a league decision, but to engage in a lengthy all-out assault against the league and its personnel is just not how it’s done in the executive lodge.
That the Patriots hit back so aggressively—both off the record and, later, on it—only bonded the other 31 teams against the Patriots’ position even more. It’s O.K. to appeal a league decision, but to engage in a lengthy all-out assault against the league and its personnel is just not how it’s done in the executive lodge.

at this point, who cares? the pats have already been force-fed their medicine........time for him to travel around the rest of the league and hang a few......the only way things change is if he pisses off enough owners

[sad but true emoji]

Jeff Pash spearheaded the negotiations leading to the new CBA??? Funny but I remember it going "differently"

NFL's labor negotiations reach impasse

Which one is Jeff Pash again??

yahoo_saturday_kraft.jpg

He is as strong as the owners want him to be. They wanted the Patriots to be punished so their chances automatically improve, if were the Jaguars instead of the Patriots, there would be no such thing as deflategate.

feels more like cersie Lanister to me.

"im the queen now!"

as a whole lot of pissed off armies start massing to wreck her dumb ass.

He is as strong as the owners want him to be. They wanted the Patriots to be punished so their chances automatically improve, if were the Jaguars instead of the Patriots, there would be no such thing as deflategate.

Just to add to my previous post, Goodell is a bum and from my perception reading a lot of sports foruns over the internet including other NFL teams message boards, the perception that Goodell is a bum is stronger than ever, people still hate the Patriots and want to see them punished but compared to when deflategate started, it used to be 2 members out of an entire message board seeing the truth, now I feel like it's a 40%/60% split with the NFL still winning the public perception.

Most importantly, Brady fought for his union and the players now are probably more informed on the importance of this matter than when all this **** started. We won't hear a beep but I believe Brady won't lose any sort of respect from the other players over this ****, on the contrary. Unfortunately he didn't won and now all players are screwed because the NFL went after their premium player so anyone below him will face even worse odds and an uphill battle if they need to appeal some unjustified suspension.

Not really buying it. I've thought for a while that Bedard is a King wannabe.

The owners, at least the ones who contributed to these thoughts; they can go **** themselves. If Eli or Ben were being raked over the coals for something that didn't even happen, they would also be upset and rip Pash apart.

While still a fan of football, the sport, I find it difficult to be as involved as a fan of the NFL brand of football after this whole cluster. I cheer for the players, especially the players who have been with the team for quite some time, and of course Belichick.

Maybe the day will come where I feel different, but for now and the foreseeable future, I'm all set with buying NFL branded merchandise and with Snow White/Goodell and all 32 dwarves. Screw 'em.

The fact that Bedard's statement is probably true makes me hate the NFL and all 31 of the other team's owners even more. Clearly they have no sense of any moral rectitude, nor do they care about right or wrong. They only care about what is easiest and best for THEM and justice be damned.

But here's the thing. Goodell might appear to be in a very strong position right now, but there is no doubt in my mind that he's been severely damaged by his constant missteps the last few years of which "deflategate" is only one. So whatever "strength" he has now does not run deep.

When this CBA comes to a close in a few years, and the owners face the prospect of a VERY contrary and combative players association they are NOT going to want Roger Goodell leading that negotiation. Clearly 354 Park Ave is a joke of an operation. Over the next few years there will be other examples of their ineptitude just like deflategate and I strongly believe Goodell will NOT survive them.

Last edited:
Most likely one of the owners or someone in the league office who wanted to take a swing at Bob (call me Mr.) Kraft whispered in Bedard's ear. Greg's just doing his job, but this is how people who work for the NFL communicate with us common folk.

Whether it's true or not, it does reinforce the notion that Kraft has significant enemies among the other 31.

Disagree with Bedard's assessment of how hard the Pats hit back but even so:

If you believe this article to be true, Kraft has no one to blame but himself for Goodell's power. Despite Spygate, Kraft was in lockstep wth Goodell since he was appointed, and did more than anyone to build up Goodell's power, influence and wealth.

It speaks to how ineffectual or despised Kraft really is in league circles if he truly has no backers..... And if you're going to alienate everybody anyway, why all those measured, carefully worded half assed statements. Why not come out and call Goodell a liar? Why wait for the league to correct measurement readings when you know they were wrong? Why accept punishment? If you're going to fight than fight, if you're going to alienate everybody anyway, why not make things as difficult, uncomfortable and as antagonistic as possible for the people conspiring against you?

In the end Brady sits 4 games, the Pats lose a 1st rounder +, they are further labeled as cheaters, Goodell's influence and power grows and Kraft's shrinks to nothing. Kraft could not have played this any worse, he was either too gullible, too stupid, too greedy or too afraid to handle this the right way.

Last edited:
The fact that Bedard's statement is probably true makes me hate the NFL and all 31 of the other team's owners even more. Clearly they have no sense of any moral rectitude, nor do they care about right or wrong. They only care about what is easiest and best for THEM and justice be damned.

But here's the thing. Goodell might appear to be in a very strong position right now, but there is no doubt in my eye that he's been severely damaged by his constant missteps the last few years of which "deflategate" is only one. So whatever "strength" he has now does not run deep.

When this CBA comes to a close in a few years, and the owners face the prospect of a VERY contrary and combative players association they are NOT going to want Roger Goodell leading that negotiation. Clearly 354 Park Ave is a joke of an operation. Over the next few years there will be other examples of their ineptitude just like deflategate and I strongly believe Goodell will NOT survive them.

It really is pathetic, NFL offices are given permission by the owners to act any way they wish, to do their dirty work and take care of business. Kraft learned the hard way he didn't have nearly the power or influence he thought he had.

There is only one way to get even with the owners, Pash and puppet Goodell -- just win baby. Al Davis knew and after all these years, ends up being the owner I respect above all others. Amazing. Watching Brady & BB hoist another trophy will be incredibly sweet.

I thank Kraft for saving football for NE and hiring BB. I also think he got screwed over royally one day in SF in May, but, he is one of the 32 and they all suck.

But here's the thing. Goodell might appear to be in a very strong position right now, but there is no doubt in my eye that he's been severely damaged by his constant missteps the last few years of which "deflategate" is only one. So whatever "strength" he has now does not run deep.

Why not? They know the players, for the most part, will eventually cave and put the pressure on the NFLPA to get something done. A lot of these guys need the paychecks and aren't set up like Brady, Flacco, Rodgers, or Manning.

I agree with Bedard's assessment. I think The Dope is as secure and highly-regarded by the owners as any commissioner could possibly be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots