PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After 4 Games Where Are The Weaknesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Biggest weakness is red zone play calling. I'd love to see the breakdown (I'll ask Reiss ...) bc I'm curious of the run/pass mix on successful vs. unsuccessful red zone trips. Seems that whenever they commit to run in the RZ they score; when they spread it wide for 3 plays, it's instant FG. (Unless the lob to Moss is sign of things to come ...)

The defense has been impressing me and looks to be getting better and better each week. This is without Mayo, so that's pretty darn impressive. It can only get better once he's healthy. Guyton has made strides. McGowan has impressed. Our veteran CBs - Springs and Bodden have been solid. Even Butler was looking good in the Ravens game. So that looks to be a good group. I'd like to see a little more pressure on the QB but the secondary has been so good, there's nobody open anyways.

On offense, the timing isn't quite there yet for Brady to his receivers. I liked that he hooked up with Moss for a TD against the Ravens though. It's always good when those 2 start to synch. Not having Welker healthy has slowed down this offense but Edelman and Watson have been picking up some of the slack. The stable of RBs looks solid. Maroney can continue doing nothing as he did this week, and our running game should still be good. Pats look more balanced on offense so far in 2009 than 2007. That's actually a good thing even if we're not scoring at as torrid a pace. I'll be monitoring Vollmer's progress. When does the kid get to play? He looks to have all the physical tools and seems to handle speed rushers better than our other tackles.

CB other than Bodden -- but there are a lot of guys who are close

Pass rush, yesterday's game notwithstanding -- and Flacco moved the ball pretty well the rush notwithstanding

WR after Moss/Welker, as previously noted many times over

Various things on STs

I will have to say back up QB position. I had the volume all the way down because I was trying to put baby to sleep and watch the game at the same time and I saw Tom Brady going into locker room and TV screen showing Hoyer. I almost had a heart attack!

I will have to say back up QB position. I had the volume all the way down because I was trying to put baby to sleep and watch the game at the same time and I saw Tom Brady going into locker room and TV screen showing Hoyer. I almost had a heart attack!

So did Brian Hoyer.

order of need:
Playoff quality LB depth
Kick Returner
Experienced back up QB
Better #3 WR
Punter Awareness

Im pretty psyched with what we do have. Sands contributing a decent amount already adds to a deep DL group(I think BB wanted Sands just for getting in the face of tall QBs). Secondary play and depth have been above what we've seen the last couple years. We have some good OL backups. HBs are all set.
Everything except LB, WR & QB seem like they can take a lost body(We cant lose Thomas, Moss, or Brady)

Brady's still shaking a bit of rust off, but he's looking better every week.

Offense:
unimaginative play-calling, together with...
...predictability of formations
no true Fullback
Galloway
Maroney
the Tackles, esp. Light

Defense:
Burgess, and because he sux...
...ineffective, inconsistent pass-rush
Guyton
Sanders

Special Teams:
impotent KO & punt returns, partly due to...
...Maroney
inability or unwillingness to aim for the coffin corner

Last edited:
Maroney's vision at the line of scrimmage.

He was killing me. Hard to watch at times. Skippy dance steps? Taylor has what Maroney needs, the fearless burst.

MAKE A DECISION AND RUN FAST!!!!

I haven't seen a running play with Maroney where his vision has made a difference yet. Every running play with him, one of the OL seems to turn into a turnstyle and miss a block, and he gets hit just as he gets teh ball.

Anytime Wilhite is the on the field I'm very nervous.
Depth at Linebacker although the signing of Seau sorts that out.
Depth at WR if Joey Galloway does not improve.

Thats it for me, I'm satisfied with everything else.

inconsistent situational punting
qb depth
offensive tackles!
lb depth
tom brady when they drop 8 in coverage in the redzone when he could run it in but usually forces a ball/brady rolling out or on the run throw

The first thing is playcalling. Again, when we spread it out inside the red zone or even inside the 10, I am not a fan, I would rather try to run it or give the threat of the run, something to help ease the pressure on the pass cathers.

Second is WR depth. Missing Welker for 2 games showed what he means to this team. And seeing what Galloway hasn't brought to the team makes me hope we don't see a Welker or Moss injury.

Third thing on offense is the run game. It seems like Maroney gets the carries in the first half, then Taylor gets them in the second and its light night and day. Maybe we should try to use Maroney like the Saints try to use Reggie Bush, in space where he can dance, but its time to give Taylor a lot more reps toting the rock.

On defense, LB depth has been a concern, once Mayo comes back, I think it will be less of an issue.

3rd down and long defense has gotten better, but I would like to see tighter defense, not as much cushion when we see guys 8-10 yards off the LOS. Man up, bump and run and let the pressure get there. Bodden and Butler I think can play man to man bump and run.

Special teams, one is with Hanson, do a coffin corner punt drill or two. That and the return game. This is the only aspect I miss Hobbs in is the return game. I don't know if its the new rules with the wedge or what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News