PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After 12 games with Mac: which QBs would you take right now over him?

I'm trying not to be too much of a homer tbh lol. Stafford last few games have been bad, but he's largely a very good QB.
Stafford is basically a Drew Bledsoe/Matt Ryan clone. Good, but you can't overlook the flaws that will keep you from going all the way. it's easy to win games with a gunslinging QB, but they will have the occasional bad game and if they have it in the playoffs you're SOL.

I'd far, far rather have a field position QB, like Brady or Jones, and trust them to figure out how to finish off drives, than have a go-for-broke guy under center, because when they Do go for broke they so often succeed

Uhh no, sorry. For what this team is and what it does Mac is actually a much better fit than Lawrence. The only reason Herbert and Burrow are guys I would take is that they're further along in their development.
So pats get #1 overall, they get Jones?

you’re crazy

situations.

A couple of thoughts.

In the NFL you can win or lose games in three ways:
  • Because of your QB
  • In spite of your QB (see JEST QBs since Pennington)
  • With your QB (neither helping nor hurting much)
In 2008 they started winning games with, and occasionally in spite of, Cassel. By December they were winning games because of his play.

With Jones, they have mostly won with him, given the design of the offense, although the Titans game was at least halfway into the because of category. But I'd argue that, other than the Saints, their losses are in spite of his play more than because of it.

if the Pats get #1 overall, they probably trade down, grab Jones and anothher great asset or 2.
Thus, when the Patriots play the Jaguars and presumably make Lawrence look like a bust, you'll have your confirmation. BB would probably do the same with Jones, correct?

Not sure I understand your logic.

Not sure I understand your logic.
My logic is the QB with the team that has the assets and coaches will be the better QB. Thus, Jones is doing well in his situation, while Lawrence is not. I don't know the future of either QB, but would take Lawrence over Jones in the draft.

Pats shoulda drafted Lamar. They would be in better shape right now. Still happy but Lamar was the right choice.

Pats shoulda drafted Lamar. They would be in better shape right now. Still happy but Lamar was the right choice.
The Pats should have drafted a QB with questionable passing ability and who can't reliably decipher defenses for an offense predicated on reading defenses and adjusting to throw to positions on the field? OK.

Mac is the right QB for this system.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back