PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFC Championship Game : Patriots vs. Colts -- Pre-Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, buddy.

One of the great things that came from last week was that we got to see the offense revert back to good form again, so if that continues things should be fine. The addition of the running game would only add to that even more.

I'd like to see the defense clean up a bit from last week, but I think that's more of a one-time deal than cause for concern.
iam interested to see how the oline holds up against a heavy blitz team. Both the colts and packers hit brady a lot. Colts made him uncomfortable but fortunately he had gray to lean on until he settled down and got ina rhythm . Without stork it could get interesting in both the running and passing game.

iam interested to see how the oline holds up against a heavy blitz team. Both the colts and packers hit brady a lot. Colts made him uncomfortable but fortunately he had gray to lean on until he settled down and got ina rhythm . Without stork it could get interesting in both the running and passing game.

Doesn't Brady tend to play better against a team that blitzes (getting out the ball quickly and taking advantage of the mismatches in the secondary a blitz creates) than a team that can generate a pass rush without a blitz? I've always heard its the latter that can give Brady fits (hence why the Ravens always seem like a matchup problem).

Doesn't Brady tend to play better against a team that blitzes (getting out the ball quickly and taking advantage of the mismatches in the secondary a blitz creates) than a team that can generate a pass rush without a blitz? I've always heard its the latter that can give Brady fits (hence why the Ravens always seem like a matchup problem).
Yes but this oline is different this year. Not the same as in the past. I sure hope they dont do the rotation crap they pulled in the regular season with stork out.

Later gives everyone problems. Anytime you can get pressure rushing 4 it's going to cause problems.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
Formula for beating/slowing any QB in nfl history:

Get pressure with 4 linemen
Get some of that pressure up the middle so that the QB can't step up
Get that pressure with some real consistency
Stop quick passing routes

Not sure 'complete garbage' is an accurate statement of any unit in any win, much less one that, when down 28-14, allowed a total of 3 points the rest of the way so the team could get a comeback win.
Now if you called the Ravens defense complete garbage in that game, you would be closer, but the funny thing is more people on this board would argue that statement.

The game was won, but the D was still unbearable. They didn't stop the run and couldn't seem to stop Crappo either. Sure they only allowed 3 points, but Crappo was playing awful after the first half. The D barely got any pressure on him, his WRs were beating the coverage, had he not overthrown his WR in the endzone, we're talking about offseason adjustments instead of the Superbowl. Revis and the boys on D straight sucked Saturday (with the exception of one drive) and the win had more to do with Flacco than the D. Mad props for the offense for staying in the game. The Ravens D were not bad in the beginning, but once Brady got them exhausted with the no-huddle and eligible/non-eligible stuff, thug Suggs and the boys were useless.

The last thing the Pats need to fix is the slow starts. Bill fixed the O line and I would bet good money they're working on their starts. I expect the game with the colts to be easier than the ravens by far.
Whereas the Pats almost lost against the ravens, I see them getting started earlier and winning by 11.

This is why I am concerned about the D. If it was that easy for Crappo to score before he started playing like a moron, then how easy will it be for Luck to chuck up, poor-decision deep passes for TDs. Hopefully, Brady and the offense play the way they are capable of playing. If Brady starts turning the ball over, like he's done in the past championship games, we may have a problem, especially if the defense plays the way they played Saturday.

Brady had the best QBR in the NFL this year against the blitz.

Hopefully, but not necessarily. He could have torn his ACL for all we know.

I would think the Pats would have already put him on IR if they thought he had no chance to return either this game or potentially, in three weeks.

The biggest thing going for the colts is confidence. They won a game no one picked them to win and now come in again in the same situation. And the colts are 12-0 in the luck era in repeat games vs teams they have lost. They have nothing to lose on sunday reaching the AFCCG only in the 3rd yr of the luck era. Pressure is on the pats to take advantage of the opportunity. So we cant afford to start slow and fall behind and give this team more confidence. Lets hope our defense shows up to start.

I wonder how many of those 12 wins were vs AFCS teams. Not quite as impressive it that is the case.

I see that Deus already responded to this stat and 9 of the 12 ARE AFCS teams.

Last edited:
Herron landed on his shoulder on the first TD and was slow to get up. He also seemed to favor the shoulder going forward. (At least early, maybe they gave him a shot after that). The way he was responding early gave me pause to think he might not last long in the Broncos game.

I can't imagine it is so much better in one week. Add in the sloppy conditions, and he may a candidate to cough up the ball.

Which games this year (aside from the first 4) did we not have our main 5 guys start at o-line?

Solder-Connolly-Stork-Wendell-Vollmer

Bills (Week 17), Jets (Week 16),.....any others?

If the Patriots' OL holds in tomorrows game, I think the Patriots have a good chance.
Colts will probably do more blitzes than the previous games. Just hope Brady makes quick play adjustments.

With the field going to be soggy and the football slick & wet, it may be mostly a ground-game, which really needs the OL to step up. IMO

I also think with a wet and sloppy field, Bill will not put his trust in Gray but rather Blount. Bill knows what he has in Blount and I can almost guarantee he will go that route versus trusting the younger, and potentially better, Gray.

I also think with a wet and sloppy field, Bill will not put his trust in Gray but rather Blount. Bill knows what he has in Blount and I can almost guarantee he will go that route versus trusting the younger, and potentially better, Gray.

I would like to see Gray & Blount, depending on the situation. As well as more screen-plays on a muddy field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe