Welcome to PatsFans.com

AFC Championship Game: Jets at Steelers

Discussion in 'NFL Football Forum' started by jmt57, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmt57

jmt57 Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +702 / 0 / -3

The weekend is almost here and last week's playoff game has been dissected to the point where I don't think there is anything left of that corpse. The real NFL news over the next 48 hours will now be the two upcoming games this weekend, so I'm going to go ahead and start threads on each of those games now.

#6 New York Jets (13-5) at #2 Pittsburgh Steelers (13-4)
    Sunday January 23 at 6:30 p.m. EST on CBS
    Jim Nantz and Phil Simms will announce the game on TV
    Dave Sims, James Lofton and Hub Arkush will do the radio broadcast

Pittsburgh opened as a 3½-point favorite; the line is now 3½ to 4 points
    Over under began at 38½ points; it currently ranges from 38½ to 39
    The Money Line has New York from +165 to +180; Pittsburgh from -185 to -220

Edit: final tally from poll on front page of this site:
    74% believe the Steelers will win; 26% think the Jets will win
    Final score: Steelers 24, Jets 19

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  2. jmt57

Ratings:
    +702 / 0 / -3

What to look for: Conference championship games - NFL - CBSSports.com | Charley Casserly

3. AJY the Jets troll

AJY the Jets troll Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Curious to see if Ryan will put Revis on Wallace the whole time. During their regular season matchup Cromartie was on him the whole game but that's when Revis was a little banged up.

Hines Ward is old but still comes up with some clutch catches. Eliminating Wallace really changes the dynamic of the Steelers offense.

4. KontradictioN

KontradictioN Do you even lift? PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +2,657 / 33 / -55

No Jersey Selected

I have to think that Ryan isn't going to mess around with Wallace and will put Revis on him. That will be an interesting match-up to watch, though I have to think that Revis will just shut him down too. I think they put Cromartie on Emmanuel Sanders.

5. andrewgarrr

andrewgarrr Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Cromartie is fast and tall. Revis is the more physical corner.

Wallace is very fast. Ward is very physical and a good route runner.

Match physical with physical and speed with speed.

6. jmt57

Ratings:
    +702 / 0 / -3

It Is What It Is - Adam Schefter on D&C: Packers are best team left in playoffs

Adam Schefter, ESPN | Dennis and Callahan Audio on Demand | WEEI

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  7. jmt57

Ratings:
    +702 / 0 / -3

NFL title game picks: Greener pastures for Jets, Packers - NFL - Sporting News

8. PATRIOTSFANINPA

PATRIOTSFANINPA Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I think the gods have just let this be the Jets season..they were tested through scandals of coaches on the sidelines tripping players,arrested WRs with DUIs and Foot Fetish videos and are still in the AFC Championship game....There would not be too many teams who could handle all this and not only make the playoffs but beat Indy and NE on the road back to back which is unprecedented.

While the Jets did all this stupid circus stuff on their own behalf and it was dumb,you could say that only a VERY STRONG and willful team can get this far without caving into the storylines outside of football.

This is the strongest Jets team in both physical and mental that I have seen since the Sack Exchange days and I doubt that the Steelers are going to be good enough to derail the Jets unless turnovers are an issue.

The Jets are the better team and I expect them to win and then hopefully lose in the Super Bowl so that the Jets end up with the Super Bowl loser curse in 2011...if there is a season next year.

Jets 23 Steelers 14

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  9. Kid~Brady

Kid~Brady In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I have to disagree with the Jets being a better team that Steelers. Yes, they have a chance but better than the Steelers is a stretch. Remember, Polamalu is back this game. That makes a HUGE difference in that Steelers defense.

10. Bruno

Bruno Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The same can be said about the Steelers that had to endure and off-season of Ben the Scumbag and four games of Charlie Batch.

This years Jets defense is not as good as last years. The offense is better...and that is the rub. If the Jets win Sunday it will be the O, not the D...Steelers Defense is better overall.

Homefield should be huge. Temperatues of 10-5 degrees. My pick: Steelers by 4. Shutting up all front-running Jets fans coming out of the woodwork: priceless.

11. jmt57

Ratings:
    +702 / 0 / -3

Jets have the flight plan to soar in playoffs - NFL - Sporting News - Vinnie Iyer

12. jmt57

Ratings:
    +702 / 0 / -3

NFL playoff team reports: Conference championships - NFL - Sporting News

13. jmt57

Ratings:
    +702 / 0 / -3

'Flight Boys' primed to soar vs. banged up Steelers secondary - NFL - Sporting News - Vinnie Iyer

Facing Polamalu a hair-raising experience for Sanchez - NFL - Sporting News - Clifton Brown

AFC championship game matchup: New York Jets at Pittsburgh Steelers - NFL - Sporting News - Gerry Dulac

14. stcjones

stcjones Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +98 / 32 / -23

#12 Jersey

Good summation. I think it comes down to several things. First and most importantly, the steelers need to get alot of pressure on Sancheese.....not only pressure but a few PHYSICAL sacks.......Harrison needs to take another fine and pound sancheese into the frozen turf a few times. If they DO that.....and get some pressure on the guy....HE WILL MAKE MISTAKES. HE does not like playing in the cold.....and if you pressure him and bloody him up a bit....IT WILL make a difference. Conversely, the more teams seem to bloody and beat on Rottenburger....THE STRONGER he gets.

If somehow sancheese gets time.....he has the weapons to get it done....I DON'T see the Jests getting much on the ground unless steelers have more guys dinged up than I have heard about.......I think you pressure sanchez and make him beat you through air.

Now, the steelers are limited a bit with receivers.....yes wallace is awesome....but after that if falls off alot......Ward is a shadow of his former self and they have a bunch of ? other than that don't they? Mendenhall is great and should have a good game.

I think steelers win a close one by a TD........

15. stcjones

stcjones Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +98 / 32 / -23

#12 Jersey

16. jmt57

Ratings:
    +702 / 0 / -3

NFL Conference Championship Weekend Picks Foresee Jets-Packers Super Bowl - NFL - NESN.com - Michael Hurley

Friday Out-Takes: Karma's Day Off

17. jmt57

Ratings:
    +702 / 0 / -3

I think it's all about matchups and gameplan. As you saw his stats have been pretty good since he came back from that concussion. Jets knew the Pats had an advantage with their tight TE and slot receiver, so they game planned against that. Not so sure that the Jets will do the same thing against Pittsburgh.

I wouldn't base much of anything on a guy's fantasy numbers, as they tend to put far too much emphasis on touchdowns. Miller may not be an All-Pro but I can certainly see him possibly being a difference maker in this game.

18. jmt57

Ratings:
    +702 / 0 / -3

So much for the conventional wisdom that the Steelers would come into the game more banged up after playing the Ravens.

Jets-Steelers Injury Report - Jets Blog - ESPN New York

Troy Probable-malu against the Jets - AFC East Blog - ESPN

19. SmokeShowin

SmokeShowin Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

No Jersey Selected

I haven't listened to 1 minute of sports radio this week. I will admit I listened to Robin Meade on CNN Headline News talk about the game cuz she's hotter than hell.

I am praying with every ounce of anything that I have that the Squeelers crush the Jests. That is if my prayers that they have a horrific bus crash fall through.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  20. NJPatsGirl

NJPatsGirl Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

GO STEELERS!

I am still smarting from last week's loss to the Jests (I know, get over it already), but a win by the Steelers would make my f'n weekend :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.