PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AFC Championship Game: Jets at Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm OK with playing the SB champs twice next year.

Even if Jets win today, I think Packers are the ones who will meet them in Dallas and Packers are vicious on all fronts recently.

Here is my perfect ending for the NFL season. Packers beat Bears. Jets lose to the Steelers, making them the girl who never makes it to the dance 43 years in a row.

Then the Packers crushing the Steelers in the Super bowl. That will take a little bit of the pain away so I can start looking forward to next season.

Here is my perfect ending for the NFL season. Packers beat Bears. Jets lose to the Steelers, making them the girl who never makes it to the dance 43 years in a row.

Then the Packers crushing the Steelers in the Super bowl. That will take a little bit of the pain away so I can start looking forward to next season.

DITTO!:rocker::rocker::rocker:

Going with the jets in this game. They are just like the giants in the 2007/2008 season.

Re: Coldest playoff game in Steeler's history but not...

I honestly don't know how the players do it. I'm fine with dressing up in gear and going to a zero degree game as a fan, I've done it before, it's not bad.

But the other night here in Buffalo, I left work at 11 pm and I'd forgotten my gloves at home. My car had snow and ice on it. I was outside scraping for 10 minutes, zero degree weather, stiff wind, probably 15 below with wind chill.

When I got inside my car, I couldn't feel my fingers at all. They stung just trying to drive the car.

Re: Coldest playoff game in Steeler's history but not...

I was in a similar situation last nite--unfortunately i had holes in my socks, and the heat in my van was all around my head. When i got home, my feet had no feelings for a good half hour. How does Brady play with no gloves in sub-zero weather??? (my thumbs freeze in thick expensive winter gloves)

Anyhow, let's see how the Sanchez does!! Hard to say which of these two championship game quarterbacks i dislike more---i guess R-berg really, and he's too big to freeze.

That would be awesome. It would suck if the Jets trash-talking became validated with a ticket to the superbowl. If it happens, more and more teams will indulge in a completely useless aspect of the football game.

Eh can't root for Rapistberger and a chance for the Steelers to have a wannabe dynasty (3 out of 6).

If the Jets lose in the Superbowl it could affect their physche big time for next year.
--------------------------------------
NFC go Packers, but the Bears are a likeable team with Hester and Urlacher.

the way the things have gone this yr witll all the proclamations ,last min wins and beating colts/pats back to back its the jets yr. dont think anyone is beating them sadly. i hope iam wrong.

A few more predictions:

Championship Sunday picks - Extra Points - Boston.com | Greg Bedard
The x-factor is how much did the Jets leave at Gillette Stadium? Can they play another perfect game? They don’t need to play a perfect game to beat the Steelers, that’s why I think they can win again. It comes down to this for me: the Steelers’ defense isn’t as good as they have been in previous years, and their offensive line is terrible. The call here is the Jets leave Heinz Field the same way they left Gillette Stadium: with everyone realizing the Steelers don’t have that many good offensive weapons and their defense has trouble getting stops against good run teams that can spread you out with big-play threats (Santonio Holmes, Braylon Edwards, Brad Smith).

Jets 23, Steelers 17

Greg Cote's predictions for AFC and NFC championships - Greg Cote - MiamiHerald.com
E-mails and online comments leave me with the impression many Jets fans don’t like me, and with good reason, I suppose. It’s OK. Reciprocity is a wonderful thing! And I have admitted that my disdain for blowhard Rex Ryan and the whole “J-E-T-S, Jets!” crowd probably influences my picks on occasion. But not here, trust me. This isn’t personal. It’s logic that makes me like the Steelers in Sunday’s nightcap for the AFC title. Follow along: Ben Roethlisberger is better than Mark Sanchez. Rashard Mendenhall is better than the Jets’ running back combo. Mike Wallace is more explosive than any Jets receiver. And Pittsburgh’s defense is better than the Jets’. Not sure Mike Tomlin is better than Ryan, only that he’s quieter. But even if Planes have a coaching edge; that’s offset by the considerable weight of the locale. I know the Jets won at Pittsburgh just a month ago (Dec. 19), but that’s all the more reason to think it won’t happen again. It’s tough to beat a really good team twice in one season, let alone twice within one month. The Steelers’ defense will carry the day. Presuming Troy Polamalu plays – a huge factor – make it “P-I-T-T, Pitt!” Line: PIT by 3 1/2. Cote: PIT 21-20.

News staff selections / Championship Round - Bills & NFL - The Buffalo News
N.Y. Jets (+3 1/2) at Pittsburgh

Gaughan: Jets
Wilson: Steelers
Sullivan: Steelers
DiCesare: Jets
Northrop: Jets
McKissic: Steelers
(note: picks are against the spread)

Baltimore Sun staff picks: AFC, NFC championship games - baltimoresun.com
Six out of seven Baltimore Sun writers pick the Steelers to win.

Gerry Dulac's NFL Picks | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The Jets are trying to do what the Steelers did in 2005 when they became the first No. 6 seed to win all three playoff games on the road and win the Super Bowl. The Jets and Steelers both have a penchant for finding ways to win in the fourth quarter. But, despite the similarities, the game will not be close, no matter who wins. The past 12 AFC titles games have been decided by an average of 12.8 points.

Prediction: Steelers, 27-14

Jets-Steelers, A.F.C. Championship Matchup - NYTimes.com
The key to a good third-down conversion rate is to avoid third-and-long. They have faced third and 10 or more yards just three times in the postseason, but have had less than 6 yards to go on third down 18 times. The Jets are 11 of 18 on the shorter conversions, allowing them to keep most of their playbook open.

The Steelers try to force opponents into third-and-long by stuffing the run on first down: opponents average just 2.6 yards per carry against them on first-and-10. If LaDainian Tomlinson and Shonn Greene can grind out a few 5-yard runs on first down, it will be an encouraging sign for the Jets.

Pick
The Jets like being the overlooked underdogs, so they will love this pick. Steelers.

NFL Staff Picks - New York Daily News
Against a spread of Jets +3½, Hank Gola is the only one of eight New York Daily News sports writers to pick the Steelers.

Steelers & Bears off to Big D - NYPOST.com
If the Steelers, who are expected to get Polamalu and (hopefully) Smith back, don't shoot themselves in the foot with special teams, and the moose-like Roethlisberger gets his chance to connect on a couple of those bodies-hanging-on-him bombs which make him so remarkable, Pittsburgh can survive and advance. But Ryan surely has something going with this gang of vagabonds, so this is a very close call, likely to be decided by special teams and/or a turnover or two.

Steelers, 23-17

rodboone
#Jets inactives: John Conner, Vernon Gholston, Jarron Gilbert, Matthew Mulligan, Jeff Cumberland, P.atrick Turner and M.arcus Dixon.

rodboone
#Jets inactives: John Conner, Vernon Gholston, Jarron Gilbert, Matthew Mulligan, Jeff Cumberland, P.atrick Turner and M.arcus Dixon.

I guess the Jets don't want to risk having to pay Gholston the sack bonus? :p

If the Jest get to the SB and win, Rex will NOT shut up about winning it. Be funny if the Jets do win and Rex runs his mouth and Belichick walks into the first game next year with his 3 Patriots rings. :D

rodboone

yikes dude

Well, if everyone lives up to their word in the other thread, there should only be a handful of people in here and watching the game.

I see that LT is already on the bench, his favourite spot in AFC title games...:p

If the Jest get to the SB and win, Rex will NOT shut up about winning it. Be funny if the Jets do win and Rex runs his mouth and Belichick walks into the first game next year with his 3 Patriots rings. :D

If the Jets win the SB I don't think Rex will talk about winning it as much as he will about wanting another one.

People are saying that the return of Polamalu is the biggest difference of this game, but I would say that it may be Heath Miller. He didn't play vs. the Jets last time and he is the Steelers' best weapon to take advantage of the Jets' defense's greatest weakness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back