PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam VS The Ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger44

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
For all you chowdaheads who are down on the Ghost, let me give you some Adam Vini stats from his rookie year. Adam is a HOFer, so take notice.

Games: 16 1-19yards=1/1; 20-29yards=9/10; 30-39yards=8/8; 40-49yards=8/14; 50+=1/2; total=27/35 1blocked xtra point=39-42.
FG% 77.1%
XP% 92.9

For all those who refuse to give Ghost a chance and insist that when we lost Adam we lost God, please get a clue.

Yes I know the clutch thing is big, but ya gotta give Ghost a chance to learn. Adam wasn't clutch in his first 5 years either.

Digger44 said:
For all you chowdaheads who are down on the Ghost, let me give you some Adam Vini stats from his rookie year. Adam is a HOFer, so take notice.

Games: 16 1-19yards=1/1; 20-29yards=9/10; 30-39yards=8/8; 40-49yards=8/14; 50+=1/2; total=27/35 1blocked xtra point=39-42.
FG% 77.1%
XP% 92.9

For all those who refuse to give Ghost a chance and insist that when we lost Adam we lost God, please get a clue.

Yes I know the clutch thing is big, but ya gotta give Ghost a chance to learn. Adam wasn't clutch in his first 5 years either.

I don't care what Adam's numbers were his rookie season he was a hell of a lot better than Missin' Sisson!

mgcolby said:
I don't care what Adam's numbers were his rookie season he was a hell of a lot better than Missin' Sisson!

yes but that is not the point of this thread. do you just not get it?

I think we all know that, given time, the ghost may wind up as good as vinatieri.

I think the reason fans are bothered is because they didn't want to have to watch a rookie kicker develop in the middle of brady's prime.

they wanted an already developed vinatieri to stay here and contimue to be a dependable, clutch kicker right now - no waiting.

but, alas, just like branch, law and others, money dictates that we must cut him loose and go through this. Given that fact, yes, people should not be impatient with the ghost - he will be a very good kicker, and will be fine, even this season. he may miss a few that make you upset, but it's not like he's a bad kicker. there will just be a few growing pains along the way.

it is what it is so everyone might as well accept it that he's the guy. I think he's gonna be great, and for now, at least pretty good.

Well, I'm not a chowdahead and I'm certainly not down on Gostkowski, but who is this "Adam" fellow you're talking about? :rolleyes:

Digger44 said:

It was a joke!!!

Do you just not get it? :confused:

I think any discussion of Gost's performance has to give props to his ability to routinely send the ball into the endzone on kickoffs. A huge factor in my mind.

He will become more consistent with his FGs, but he is crushing the ball on kickoffs and that is something AV never did.

mgcolby said:
It was a joke!!!

Do you just not get it? :confused:

ya i got it, your sense of humor sucks because it wasnt funny.

old 55 said:
I think any discussion of Gost's performance has to give props to his ability to routinely send the ball into the endzone on kickoffs. A huge factor in my mind.

He will become more consistent with his FGs, but he is crushing the ball on kickoffs and that is something AV never did.

very good point. it has really helped our special teams.

Digger44 said:
ya i got it, your sense of humor sucks because it wasnt funny.

One man's meat (so to speak) is another man's poison...........

Clonamery said:
One man's meat (so to speak) is another man's poison...........
not really, it just sucked

Mike the Brit said:
Well, I'm not a chowdahead and I'm certainly not down on Gostkowski, but who is this "Adam" fellow you're talking about? :rolleyes:

I think this is the most relevant point on the whole subject. Adam left the building, and we have a new kicker. Our new kicker will either make it, or be replaced, based completely on his own merit.

Did any of these detractors notice that Adam is not even playing ball? He has two seperate injuries, foot and groin.

When Adam comes back, we can scoop up Gramatica if Ghost is really not getting the job done.

I think that missing a 48 yarder is not the end of the world, and getting a couple kicks blocked when the protection was awful are not the end of the world.

I think that if we develop a play-off level run game, tighten up our secondary, and let Brady develop some timing with the new WRs, we aren't going to be depending on field goals like we have in the past.

mgcolby said:
Not exactly. AV almost was cut after his second year. It took him time to develop.

People don't play forever, and the time to replace a player is a year or so BEFORE he loses it, not a year or two after. Stanley Morgan was better than Chad Jackson, Irving Friar was better than Doug Gabriel. So what? No one want sthem to play today, and in a few years, AV won't be worth having around either. People who complain about how rookies play just don't get it.

AV is gone. Get over it.

The Vinitraitor is dead to me.

The only relevant issue is as has been said how this rook contributes to or harms the team going forward. His innate ability, his work ethic and the ST coaching will determine the result.

brady2brown said:
Not exactly. AV almost was cut after his second year. It took him time to develop.

Really - when he hit over 86% of his FG's?

It's about replacing production at this point, not personality. Our PK last season had a 68.1 yard KO average after 4 games vs. Gotti's 71.8. That's 3 and a half yards better. He also is playing in front of a better coverage unit.

Last year our PK was 6-8 (6-7 inside the 50) through 4 games with no blocks and no Vandershanks and a long of 48 in Pittsburgh where it turns out even with multi-ringed WR's we really needed it. Gotti is 3-6 in the same time frame with 2 blocks and hasn't yet hit one longer than 32.

It's unfortunate Polian picked up Gramatica but having done so he will not be released any time soon for insurance as well as strategic reasons. He's used to carrying 2. I hope Gotti shakes off his FG funk and finds his stride. He certainly has a big leg, but that and 50 cents as they say... This is a team in the midst of a dynasty run and they can have only so much patience for young talent as BB has shown us time and again over the last couple of seasons. He looked concerned on the sidelines this week and we are heading into a game where we could need a few well timed FG's. Should we not get them if we need them I am sure there will be at least one veteran kicker in town over the bye.

I think that Gostkowski has got play more games for can compare

Digger44 said:
Actually, I think he does. He's saying we could still have the experienced Adam and not having to worry about any inexperienced rookie.

Of course, this would only put off for a few years what the Pats would eventaully have to go through anyhow.

MoLewisrocks said:
It's about replacing production at this point, not personality. Our PK last season had a 68.1 yard KO average after 4 games vs. Gotti's 71.8. That's 3 and a half yards better. He also is playing in front of a better coverage unit.

Last year our PK was 6-8 (6-7 inside the 50) through 4 games with no blocks and no Vandershanks and a long of 48 in Pittsburgh where it turns out even with multi-ringed WR's we really needed it. Gotti is 3-6 in the same time frame with 2 blocks and hasn't yet hit one longer than 32.

.... I hope Gotti shakes off his FG funk and finds his stride. He certainly has a big leg, but that and 50 cents as they say... This is a team in the midst of a dynasty run and they can have only so much patience for young talent as BB has shown us time and again over the last couple of seasons. He looked concerned on the sidelines this week and we are heading into a game where we could need a few well timed FG's. Should we not get them if we need them I am sure there will be at least one veteran kicker in town over the bye.

Must say
i'm surprised to find MoLewis
so negative ... up to now.

Perhaps the situation merits more attention than i've given it.

godef said:
Actually, I think he does. He's saying we could still have the experienced Adam and not having to worry about any inexperienced rookie.

Of course, this would only put off for a few years what the Pats would eventaully have to go through anyhow.

Exactly. I think the one achilles heel this FO has is in misreading the resolve of some players to cash in and the consequences given their determination not to overpay. I do not think they should overpay as a means to retain someone (although oddly they were willing to pay Adam just not commit until he forced their hand and it was too late to anyway). But they should have a plan B IN PLACE as opposed to going to plans C and D and hoping they work out. Would have been nice to have had a PK on the PS and in NFLE the last few seasons since nothing much generally develops off of our European forays anyway. We keep sending QB's there we can't cut soon enough once they clear back through customs.

flutie2phelan said:
Must say
i'm surprised to find MoLewis
so negative ... up to now.

Perhaps the situation merits more attention than i've given it.

You must be confusing me with someone else or confusing harsh reality with negativity. The mantra of many here last March was any kid with a big leg can kick for us and look at all the money we'll save. Count me in the camp that says if your going to pay top dollar for any talent might as well include the most inexpensive yet amazingly significant guys on the roster on that list - the kicking unit (PK, P. LS) lest a little thing like the kicking game where you don't carry viable depth on the roster bite you in your ass. ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft