PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam Schefter on WEEI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I miss it when Felger and Fred Kirsch from PFW would get into there arguements...that was some priceless stuff.

Don't say this out loud. All the "Franchise Cassel" folks are in denial about a couple of facts:

2. Our players who become FAs next year will hit the market March 1. We will have to try to sign our FAs and sign other team's FAs using only the cap money remaining after the $15 mil Cassel hit.

5. It isn't even a certainty that Cassel can be traded if he is franchised. If he doesn't like the team or what they are offering, he simply refuses to sign a long term deal with that team and kills the trade.

But still the cry is, "It's a no brainier. We should franchise Cassel." Actually, I agree with the no brainer part of the idea :D

Chance losing our own FAs and lose the ability to sign oater FAs to try to get a first or second round pick, when we'll get a 3rd round pick by losing him to FA anway? Sure.

Funny thing is, the folks crying loudest to not let Cassel go are the ones who were screaming to cut him last September.

Space..I love you man....but your off base on this one....

1) Please tell me who among this group of FA's we cannot afford to sign,even if we do franchise MC??

Heath Evans, Jabar Gaffney, Chris Hanson, Rodney Harrison, Russ Hochstein, Larry Izzo, LaMont Jordan, Deltha O'Neal, Lonie Paxton, James and Lewis Sanders, Tank Williams and Mike Wright.

2) There has been a small group that supported Cassel being the number two after training camp AND also said he would do fine once he gained experience. Perhaps he did better than anyone could have expected, but, I was never surprised at all.

3) Cassel will do what is in his best interest so that he can start and cash in. Staying in NE does not give him a chance to start and does not give him the long term contract he may or may not see in the cap less new world of 2010.....his marketability will be the highest after this year, he'll be able to negotiate a much better deal for himself than 14MM in franchise money based on signing bonus he'll get from his new team alone.

That said - doesn't it make sense to tag / trade him, IF it appears that Brady is going to be ready to go in Sept and then we get some value in return while keeping him AWAY from the Jets and Miami??

Derek Anderson is one of the bigger problems with the tag-n-trade Cassel scenario. DA got a huge extension and high comp offers in trade, and then crapped the bed in 08. Hopefully, this doesn't make too many GMs gun shy in trading for a QB like Cassel who was good for "just one year."

Of course, the flip side to that is that DA regressed the second half of the 07 season whereas Cassel progressed the second half of 08 ...

Derek Anderson has always had an accuracy problem, Cassel does not. Anderson has a career comp pct of 54.6% in the pros and was closer to 50% in college. For NFL QB's, accuracy should be priority #1.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft