PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Dobson back at practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
This team with an real life outside receiving option and a big body for the redzone.

27Qp9H9.gif

I think where the optimism comes in is, if Dobson is on the field, he has to be covered by someone on the Broncos. No matter how unproven or injured he may be, they're not going to leave him alone. That said, the Broncos secondary is shallow, so the more matchups we can force them to make, the more likely one of our guys gets a favorable one.

If he plays, I don't expect Dobson to have a high impact game on the stat sheet. But if he chips in a catch for a first down and his presence forces even one mismatch somewhere else that leads to a 3rd down conversion by Amendola or Vereen, he has done his job for the week.

Do you think if we put Collie in instead that they would laugh and let him run wide open?
Outside of a select few studs that demand special attention, defenses cover based on ROUTES not who runs them.

Don't know how healthy he really is yet but I've been waiting to hear news on this for a couple of days. Is he likely to play despite only going to have been at a handful of practices? It would be quite a boost for the offense if he can return. We'd finally have our biggest receiver on the outside, hopefully covered by Jammer.

I imagine it would be Webster covering him.

It doesn't really matter who covers him, in part because the Broncos secondary is so bad and in part because, if he's healthy, he's a big downfield threat that can open up routes underneath and help get Amendola and Edelman into space where they excel and force safeties to play back, taking away a man from run support.

Collie and Thompkins don't provide that dynamic. The Broncos aren't going to float extra coverage his way or anything - he's no AJ Green or Josh Gordon - but the fact that he can even threaten a defense with those routes regularly will change the defensive dynamics.

It doesn't really matter who covers him, in part because the Broncos secondary is so bad and in part because, if he's healthy, he's a big downfield threat that can open up routes underneath and help get Amendola and Edelman into space where they excel and force safeties to play back, taking away a man from run support.

Collie and Thompkins don't provide that dynamic. The Broncos aren't going to float extra coverage his way or anything - he's no AJ Green or Josh Gordon - but the fact that he can even threaten a defense with those routes regularly will change the defensive dynamics.

That is if he doesn't go limp running said routes like on Saturday.

-Jamman

Do you think if we put Collie in instead that they would laugh and let him run wide open?
Outside of a select few studs that demand special attention, defenses cover based on ROUTES not who runs them.

Oh certainly to a degree you're right. But I believe Dobson a little hobbled has a greater chance of drawing an actually talented CB in coverage, at least for certain situations. I think Collie draws the lowest DB on the field 99/100 times.

Please correct me if my impression of what you are saying is wrong. Im not trying to put words in your mouth, just trying to understand the concept.

If we line up with Dobson split out you think that the Broncos will play man on him and put a safety over top consistently but if we put Edelman, Thompkins or Collie wide, they will play man whereever they go and have the safety ignore him?

If thats the case, I want Edelman/Thompkins or Collie split out wide and catching 30 passes between them.

Oh certainly to a degree you're right. But I believe Dobson a little hobbled has a greater chance of drawing an actually talented CB in coverage, at least for certain situations. I think Collie draws the lowest DB on the field 99/100 times.

Then Collie has a field day.
Its not like we are putting the Refrigerator out wide.

Just tell me that BB didn't have Dobson practice as backup punter and re-injure his foot and I'm good.

Then Collie has a field day.
Its not like we are putting the Refrigerator out wide.

I think talent has to count for something in these matchups. Otherwise why pay for any wide receivers at all? By your logic, you could have the five worst wide receivers in the league, and because one of them has to be covered by the worst CB on the opposing team, that one should have a field day.

Hyperbole of course, but my point is Dobson has a better chance of A) exploiting the favorable matchup and B) forcing a favorable matchup over to one of the receivers whose hands I would rather have the ball in (Edelman, Amendola, Vereen).

Collie would be less effective at A, and B wouldn't even apply. Assuming relative health of Dobson of course.

Strange day when some seem to think our best outside WR probably playing is not a big deal. Fine, he's not Demetrius Thomas but unless KT suddenly starts getting balls thrown his way again Dobson is BY FAR our best outside WR against . . . wait for it . . . a team with a struggling secondary.

Dobson, Amendola, Edelman . . . if they're anywhere close to healthy that's not a bad group.

If either Dobson or Thompkins is healthy enough to play (and not just be a decoy), the Broncos would have to have CB coverage dropping back with him/them, and the Broncos safeties would also have to pay more attention to the deep part of the field. That would, obviously, result in more room underneath and better numbers matchups in the running game. It's not about them being great, or even good, receivers. It's about them being able to threaten middle-deep with enough legitimacy that teams have to respect it*.

Add that to the prospect of being able to go with 5 WR and 4WR/1RB against a team that just lost its CB1, and the benefits of having those two rookies on the field become apparent.

*In other words, they don't need Randy Moss out there, but they need something more than Brandon Tate.

You have to assume Thompkins will play. Looked like he got a concussion in the game and if he is practicing, it is doubtful he won't be cleared to play.

Dobson is all about pain management. Unless he refractured the foot three weeks ago, he should be closer to being 100%. He may just have tried to give it a go against the Bills and couldn't deal with the pain. Three weeks later, the pain may be more manageable.

Great news. At this point all we can ask for is everyone bein healthy out there this time of year givin us a legit shot to compete what we have. Getting Dennard back and Talib gettin healthier with his hip flexer game by game, 3 headed runnin attack intact. Don't know how injured Amendola still is but he can contribute gettin down field and Edelman's play is HUGE for us and throw in some A.Collie at times is clutch as well. If Dobson is a go he opens things up and has to be held accountable out there stretchin field. KT does alittle of it all. Our pass rush and pressure was solid vs Colts and Luck got out of it with his size, speed. If we apply same pressure on PM he will have to hurry his throws quick and if we get to him I don't see him as mobile forcing Sacks Strip/Sacks & INTs.

Any word on how he felt during practice?

Any word on how he felt during practice?

You didn't get the 8 page detailed report of how Dobson felt after each drill and play ran? I am sure you can Google for it.:D

Have you been following the Patriots the last 13 years? He's "Day to Day" that's all you get.

Better question is any word on how he looked at practice.

Heard on the radio he looked quick and nimble. Looks like he close to 100% and he gives Brady a legit red zone target!!

If either Dobson or Thompkins is healthy enough to play (and not just be a decoy), the Broncos would have to have CB coverage dropping back with him/them, and the Broncos safeties would also have to pay more attention to the deep part of the field. That would, obviously, result in more room underneath and better numbers matchups in the running game. It's not about them being great, or even good, receivers. It's about them being able to threaten middle-deep with enough legitimacy that teams have to respect it*.

Add that to the prospect of being able to go with 5 WR and 4WR/1RB against a team that just lost its CB1, and the benefits of having those two rookies on the field become apparent.

*In other words, they don't need Randy Moss out there, but they need something more than Brandon Tate.

Exactly right, but I wonder if we can expect him to be anything more than a decoy after being out for 2 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents