PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A thread for DANTE

Status
Not open for further replies.

long distance

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
With so many threads going on after an unbelievable night of NE football
I guess there is one guy that deserves - better late than never - his own thread:
DANTE SCARNECCHIA.

Maybe NE OL didn't steal the show exactly but the mere fact that this unlikely unit was competitive vs hailed AZ DL is a borderline miracle to anyone following struggles of this unit last couple of years, days.

After he was dragged from retirement
after he didn't get any new OTs in offseason
after veteran IOL were dropping like flies in preseason
after he lost the two starting OTs before the season
and after all
after he couldn't get his only wish: to have (whichever) 5 starters together long enough to glue them

he put out the unedited unit of two rookie guards
and two of the most hated o-lineman as starting tackles
in front of the first-starting QB.

Yet he was still able to prepare them to do a solid starting job.
He hid their weaknesses well enough and believed in their (much distrusted) strenghts.
He showed once more that a good teacher can make a good pupil and productive member out of anyone.

So I take a deep bow to the great Master
and look forward enjoying watching his unit growth by the week
with hopefully finally some break in the health department

Last edited:
One of these would look nice in Foxboro.

dante_front.jpg

I was just about to start a thread, but it was going to be a question. It's only been one game, so I'm trying not to get to carried away. I am thankful to have him back and I saw a line that did look different last night, though.

My question: Do you all see him coaching beyond this season? If so, how many more?

and after all
after he couldn't get his only wish: to have (whichever) 5 starters together long enough to glue them

He hid their weaknesses well enough and believed in their (much distrusted) strenghts.
He showed once more that a good teacher can make a good pupil and productive member out of anyone.

Is this supposed to be a poem? Haiku?

This is his 31st season as a coach for the Patriots. His dedication to the team and ability to survive coaching changes is pretty special. His first season with the team was in 1982. Brady is the only player on the team that had been born yet.

I said it in another thread but I will repeat it here, the job he did last night should get him in the HOF. The line wasn't great and I certainly am hoping for a quick recovery for all the injured but compared to the dumpster fire I was expecting....yeah...Welcome back Scar!

Is this supposed to be a poem? Haiku?

well not really
(and haiku is much shorter)
it is rather expressive though, I admit that ...

If you want some poetry - here's from the Master himself:

Qual è 'l geomètra che tutto s'affige ......... 133 ..... Like the geometer who fully applies himself
per misurar lo cerchio, e non ritrova, ........ 134 ..... to square the circle and, for all his thought,
pensando, quel principio ond' elli indige, .. 135 ..... cannot discover the principle he lacks,
tal era io a quella vista nova: ...................... 136 ..... such was I at that strange new sight.
veder voleva come si convenne .................. 137 ..... I tried to see how the image fit the circle
l'imago al cerchio e come vi s'indova; ....... 138 ..... and how it found its where in it.
ma non eran da ciò le proprie penne: ....... 139 ..... But my wings had not sufficed for that
se non che la mia mente fu percossa ....... 140 ..... had not my mind been struck by a bolt
da un fulgore in che sua voglia venne. ..... 141 ...... of lightning that granted what I asked.
A l'alta fantasia qui mancò possa; . .......... 142 ...... Here my exalted vision lost its power.
ma già volgeva il mio disio e 'l velle, ....... 143 ...... But now my will and my desire, like wheels revolving
sì come rota ch'igualmente è mossa, ...... 144 ..... with an even motion, were turning with
l'amor che move il sole e l'altre stelle. ..... 145 ..... the Love that moves the sun and all the other stars.

thanks for tuning in...

well not really
(and haiku is much shorter)
it is rather expressive though, I admit that ...

If you want some poetry - here's from the Master himself:

Qual è 'l geomètra che tutto s'affige ......... 133 ..... Like the geometer who fully applies himself
per misurar lo cerchio, e non ritrova, ........ 134 ..... to square the circle and, for all his thought,
pensando, quel principio ond' elli indige, .. 135 ..... cannot discover the principle he lacks,
tal era io a quella vista nova: ...................... 136 ..... such was I at that strange new sight.
veder voleva come si convenne .................. 137 ..... I tried to see how the image fit the circle
l'imago al cerchio e come vi s'indova; ....... 138 ..... and how it found its where in it.
ma non eran da ciò le proprie penne: ....... 139 ..... But my wings had not sufficed for that
se non che la mia mente fu percossa ....... 140 ..... had not my mind been struck by a bolt
da un fulgore in che sua voglia venne. ..... 141 ...... of lightning that granted what I asked.
A l'alta fantasia qui mancò possa; . .......... 142 ...... Here my exalted vision lost its power.
ma già volgeva il mio disio e 'l velle, ....... 143 ...... But now my will and my desire, like wheels revolving
sì come rota ch'igualmente è mossa, ...... 144 ..... with an even motion, were turning with
l'amor che move il sole e l'altre stelle. ..... 145 ..... the Love that moves the sun and all the other stars.

thanks for tuning in...

I've abandoned hope of Tunescribe understanding you. :)

If Googs coached that line they would have lost. No way those kids hold up. No way.

I'm convinced of that.

Perhaps as long as he feels fully healthy.
True. I don't know how much convincing it took to get him to come back, and I feel the likelihood or re-retirement is always greater sooner than later. I hope he decides to stick around at least another five. I just don't know how confident I feel about it . . .

Yeah the line play Sunday night was no small miracle. Any coach who can get Cannon and Fleming to keep Jimmy G relatively clean against a DL of Arizona's caliber is a true American hero.

With so many threads going on after an unbelievable night of NE football
I guess there is one guy that deserves - better late than never - his own thread:
DANTE SCARNECCHIA.

Maybe NE OL didn't steal the show exactly but the mere fact that this unlikely unit was competitive vs hailed AZ DL is a borderline miracle to anyone following struggles of this unit last couple of years, days.

and after all

He needs to go in the Pats HOF some day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents