PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A theory on unused cap spending in 2006...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snarf

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Could it be possible that BB and SP looked ahead at the 2007 free agency and saw some big names that they desperately wanted to wait on, and therefore started saving cap space?

Or was it just a screw up resulting from saving up for Branch?

Orrrrrr.... maybe there was just nobody they felt was worth their asking price. Just a crazy thought. Just because you have money doesn't mean the right guys is available.
Having said that, IMHO, Branch was a big part of it. I think the Pats wanted to keep him and thought he wanted to stay and planned accordingly. Oops, crap happens.

yes..and Law as well..I REALLY think they were in the market for him...Law wanted MORE money..and seemed to go with Hermie..Branch?? Je wanted out..his want..so??? With no other players..why not wait?? I agree you have the money why do u spend it unwisely.. I think the Branch thing was a BIG part of it..but..he's gone..and given his greedy attitude..BYE!!!

Could it be possible that BB and SP looked ahead at the 2007 free agency and saw some big names that they desperately wanted to wait on, and therefore started saving cap space?

No for two reasons.

Right now, there is about $650 million in cap space for the 2007 season. It is likely that in the spring of 2006 that number was over a billion dollars. So the Pats and every team in the NFL team had to know that most teams would be in good enough cap shape to either sign their possible free agents or franchise them.

The 2007 FA class looks to be worse than the 2006 FA class.

Or was it just a screw up resulting from saving up for Branch?
I would not call it a screw up since negotiations are a two-way street and Branch refuse to negotiate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News