PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A theory on Tom Brady's Deep Ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="NG Pats Fan, post: 3904992, member: 18471" Tom Brady has made some poor throws where he has missed wide receivers wide open, but most of these throws were to short, slow, short armed wide receivers. [/QUOTE]

Seems to me ..."wide receivers wide open"....is a good thing. The WR did his job....HE's WIDE OPEN!!!!! At some point, it's OK to admit that Brady has a problem here. BB built the offense to emphasize Brady's strengths....short passes between the hash marks. It is what it is. 2007 was 7 years ago.

The way Brady throws the deep ball has changed. He now throws it with an extremely high arc so that it comes down at a very steep angle. Not sure if it is because he is throwing to smurfs, but the steep angle makes it very difficult to intercept as long as the receiver is behind the defender. That type of ball has to be thrown very early, so a lot can happen to slow down the receiver before he gets there. I suspect that it is timed so that if the receiver can get to it cleanly he can get under it, but if not, no one can catch it.

Brady will still throw some relative lazers downfield, but only if there only in coverages where there is little to no chance of it getting picked off (i.e Gronk up the seam). I wonder if Brady would throw with less arc if his receivers were tall and good at going up and getting the ball.

Brady has no one to receive the deep ball. DA can't create separation, Dobson is banged up, Lafell is too slow

Brady has no one to receive the deep ball. DA can't create separation, Dobson is banged up, Lafell is too slow

true.

if brady had a dez/calvin johnson and couldn't connect with the deep ball then i'd be very worried. tommy's throwing deep to little white guys ( minitron/amendola )

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft