PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A statement game for the Pats defense...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poker

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Most of the build-up and hype this week has been about the NE v. Dallas offenses. Both putting up lots of points and that makes for more compelling story lines, not to mention the more interesting characters are the QBs and the dueling 81s at wideout.

Most of the score predictions, from experts to this PatsFans MB, are predicting a higher scoring game--Dallas in the mid-high 20s or 30s. Like a Pats-Colts style shootout of recent vintage.

But, IMO, this game has the potential to be a HUGE statement game for the Pats defense; not a complete shutdown but pretty close. I picked Dallas to only get 9 points in the score contest. Here are a few reasons why:

1. NE defense has huge pride and they want to show they are potentially as devastating as the offense.

2. You look at the def lineup, esp. w/ Rodney back, and in some ways it is even more of a star-filled collection of really smart players and playmakers than the offense.

3. Dallas offense is so erratic, haphazard, unpredictable. They just seem like the prototype of the kind of "high powered" offense that the Pats D knows how to annoy, confuse, frustrate, outthink, make one dimensional, etc. If Dallas offense goes bad, I think they REALLY go bad.

4. I'm just not sold on Romo at all. I see him and this Dallas offense MUCH closer to Rex Grossman and the Chicago Bears offense after 5 games last year. Remember them? They were racking it up at the beginning of the season, in spite of Rex, but the truth inevitably came out.

Excellent insight, overall !
However, i doubt that the NE defense will be more strongly motivated than usual.
I think they are always that way.

4. I'm just not sold on Romo at all. I see him and this Dallas offense MUCH closer to Rex Grossman and the Chicago Bears offense after 5 games last year. Remember them? They were racking it up at the beginning of the season, in spite of Rex, but the truth inevitably came out.

Me neither.

Tony, the virtual virgin qb,
is going out on his first date
with Bill The Ripper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye