Not open for further replies.

Dragda

Yes, it's really me...
PatsFans.com Supporter
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2021 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I hate to be dramatic, but Laurence Maroney has a look to the way he runs. He has a fluidity and a look of greatness. He's elusive, yet runs with power. It's really very impressive to see him run. He can catch the ball and pick up the blitz. I can't really think of another back he reminds me of. He is unique.

:woohoo:

Last edited:
NEM said:
Jim Brown.......

In fact, why don't we go the extra step and say he's Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson, Walter Payton, and Emmitt Smith rolled into one. Clearly this can be seen by the 9 carries he has in his 2 preseason games.

Maroney looks very impressive, but to compare him to arguably the greatest player of all time after 2 preseason games is absolute lunacy.

primetime said:
In fact, why don't we go the extra step and say he's Jim Brown, Gale Sayers, Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson, Walter Payton, and Emmitt Smith rolled into one. Clearly this can be seen by the 9 carries he has in his 2 preseason games.

Maroney looks very impressive, but to compare him to arguably the greatest player of all time after 2 preseason games is absolute lunacy.

You are correct that it would be lunacy to compare him to some of the all time greats of the game. However; if some one were to ask if he reminded me of anyone.. I would say Gale Sayers. I would not be so presumptious to assume that he would ascend to that level but he does have some of the same qualities as a runner that Sayers had.

Last edited:
DarMan said:
You are correct that it would be lunacy to compare him to some of the all time greats of the game. However; if some one were to ask if he reminded me of anyone.. I would say Gale Sayers. I would not be so presumptious to assume that he would ascend to that level but he does have some of the same qualities as a runner that Sayers had.
Yep. It's not like you're calling him Sayers, just his style of running. Nothing wrong with that.

The real test for Moroney will come when he gets dinged up as all running backs do and he doesn't have that bounce. Can he keep on ticking?

I hate to compare rookies to established players, but Maroney has a style to him that reminds me of Priest Holmes.

I'm not about to compare at this point (and I can't claim to have watched the likes of Sayers or Jim Brown). But there's something riveting about Maroney. A combination of suddenness and fluidity...you just can't take your eyes off him.

Last edited by a moderator:
primetime said:

Totally agree. He's obviously the greatest RB of all time already.

To quote BB, "I don't think it is time to put him the HOF just yet."

Of course it is only two preseason games, but I've never seen a Pats RB with this combination of speed and power. I am giddy at the prospect of watching him spell Dillon this season and develop into a perennial top five ffb pick.

I think when it is all said and done, (if he stays healthy) Maroney will be one of the best if not the best RB in team history.

I don't think he looks anything like Gale Sayers (I mean running style). His style is hard to compare, but if I had to compare, he reminds me a lot of Kevin Jones of the Detroit Lions, and he's similar to Cadillac Williams. Even without a long run last night he still ran for an average of 4.7 yards per carry, he looks like he's going to be a special back. My two favorite things about him is that he seems to love the game with a passion, and loves to learn from the veterans. You always see him hanging with the top Patriots veterans.

As far as running, I love that he hits the hole very fast, and tacklers seem to bounce off of him, he usually gets yards after the first hit. I even noticed he moved the pile a few times on his short runs. I think he will break some long ones this year, though that's merely stating the obvious, he has broken long runs every year at Minny. He seems to have good hands and blocks pretty well also, 2 things that were concerns by a few. I don't know about the look of greatness, but he certainly has looked good. He does seem to have that desire that all great backs have, to be great. And averaging 6.3 yards per carry (15 carries for 94 yards) in 2 games sure shows that he can be a very good rookie, and possible great back in the future.

Don't give him any blocking awards yet, E for effort.

Box_O_Rocks said:
:wha:

;)

On the field, man, ON THE FIELD!

It's not like I was the one who noticed his new eyebrow 'do...:D

patchick said:
On the field, man, ON THE FIELD!

It's not like I was the one who noticed his new eyebrow 'do...:D
Yeh, who looks at eyebrows. :p

:rofl:

I agree they guy hasn't proven anything yet. But he does excitement to the run game. I think he has the potential to break long runs. Something we have been sorely missing.

Last edited:
scott99 said:
I don't think he looks anything like Gale Sayers (I mean running style). His style is hard to compare, but if I had to compare, he reminds me a lot of Kevin Jones of the Detroit Lions, and he's similar to Cadillac Williams. Even without a long run last night he still ran for an average of 4.7 yards per carry, he looks like he's going to be a special back. My two favorite things about him is that he seems to love the game with a passion, and loves to learn from the veterans. You always see him hanging with the top Patriots veterans.

I like Cadillac. Way better all around back than ronnie brown. But I don't see anything special from Kevin Jones. He's a servicable starter when not injured.

I believe (I've been wrong before on these) that Maroney will be an amazing talent. I still think Bush is going to be the best RB from this class, but I think we will be very, very pleased with him. No sandlot football, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News