PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A look ahead into the first 2 regular season games - If the Patriots were to go 1-1..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: A look ahead into the first 2 regular season games - If the Patriots were to go 1

Maybe I'm missing the point.

Why do we want to lose one of our first two games?:confused:

We don't want to lose. The premise is if we had to lose one of the first two, which one would it be and why? I say we need a win vs. the Jets more than a win vs. SD.

Re: A look ahead into the first 2 regular season games - If the Patriots were to go 1

Certainly a lot of disrespect for the Jets in this thread. I'm not willing to assume that they have no chance to win the division.

So the option is to give the Jets a game in the division standings and a leg up on the tiebreaker, or a possibility of playing San Diego on the road (where we beat them last year) in a hypothetical playoff game in the case we happen to finish with identical records? And most people would prefer we beat the Chargers?

That's ridiculous. Pure Ego, and little sense.

Yeah, playing at San Diego and flying cross-country really paid off for our guys in the AFC title game, didn't it?

I wouldn't take the chance of going back to San Diego in the playoffs. I'd take the Chargers win b/c it's a one-shot deal in the regular season. We can at least come out with a split against the Jets if we lose Week 1.

If I have to choose, I choose the loss on the road and the win at home.

We don't want to lose. The premise is if we had to lose one of the first two, which one would it be and why? I say we need a win vs. the Jets more than a win vs. SD.

The premise is dumb, I think, but I could be wrong.

Look at it this way, what would happen if you asked Belichick that question?.:mad: :eek: :wha: :bricks:

Look at it this way, what would happen if you asked Belichick that question?.:mad: :eek: :wha: :bricks:

Mmmm...

"He's day to day?"

"I coach the players who are here?"

"The photographer was in my way?"

"If the hoodie fits, wear it?"

"It is what it is?"

"I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood you. It sounded like you said which game would we rather lose.

What was the question?"

Or "What? The only team we play this week is the Jets."

I vote a loss to the Jets and Chargers both.:)

Yeah, playing at San Diego and flying cross-country really paid off for our guys in the AFC title game, didn't it?

I wouldn't take the chance of going back to San Diego in the playoffs. I'd take the Chargers win b/c it's a one-shot deal in the regular season. We can at least come out with a split against the Jets if we lose Week 1.

So a contributing reason we blew an 18 point halftime lead to the Colts was because we played a road game in San Diego seven days before, and they only had to play a road game in Baltimore?

The point is that the Chargers game ONLY matters IF:

1) We're matched up head to head in the playoffs, and

2) We have identical records

Really, what are the odds of both of those scenarios coming to pass? Certainly non-zero, but fairly low.

So a contributing reason we blew an 18 point halftime lead to the Colts was because we played a road game in San Diego seven days before, and they only had to play a road game in Baltimore?

Really, what are the odds of both of those scenarios coming to pass? Certainly non-zero, but fairly low.

In fairness, if NE ends up a game behind SD, they would have been a game above had they won the matchup. :p

That said, I agree with you. Division first.

"I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood you. It sounded like you said which game would we rather lose.

What was the question?"

Or "What? The only team we play this week is the Jets."

What part of this thread do you seem to be the only one who does not understand? - Put away the drink and read SLOWLY....

If you remember, several players had come down with the flu after returning from San Diego, no doubt because of the long plane ride. Tedy Bruschi couldn't even conduct a press conference in the days leading up to the game because he was so ill.

(as for the other point)

Fairly low? The last 3 years we've gone on the road in the playoffs because of a regular season loss to a conference rival.

2004- if we beat Pittsburgh in Week 8, we have HFA throughout
2005- if we beat Denver in Week 6, both the Pats & Broncos are 11-4 heading into Week 17. NE plays 'full-tilt' against Miami and likely finishes 12-4 and wins the head-to-head with Denver, gets the 2-seed and the bye
2006- if we beat Indy in Week 9, NE gets the 3-seed over Indy, and would have hosted Indy in the AFC title game if both teams made it through SD and Baltimore

Given our last 2 postseason exits, I'd say winning games against non-division rivals is HUGE for us. We are 1-6 against "winning" AFC teams outside the division the last 2 years. Here's a rundown by season since 2001:

2001: 0-0 (last-place schedule) SB champs
2002: 1-3, no playoffs
2003: 3-0, SB champs
2004: 2-1, SB champs
2005: 1-4, playoff loss
2006: 0-2, playoff loss

Our games against SD, Cincy, Indy, Baltimore and Pittsburgh will be very important for securing HFA.

Last edited:

The chances of the Pats needing a tie breaker over San Diego is more likely than needing a tie breaker, or being challenged for the Division by the Jets.

I'd want the SD game.

Beat the Jets early. I don't want to stomp them. Just a good solid win like 20-13. If we beat SD but lose to NYJ and SD sweeps their own division, everything else being equal, we are still a game out. The Pats have ONE game against the AFCW but SIX against the AFCE. What's more important?

2006- if we beat Indy in Week 9, NE gets the 3-seed over Indy, and would have hosted Indy in the AFC title game if both teams made it through SD and Baltimore

If we beat NYJ or @Miami in 2006 we would have had the 3-seed also. With some things you must look beyond what is in front of your face. In this case it's the matchups. NE faced Indy in the regular season and the playoffs. Or this year with a potentially similar matchup with SD. Six games is still more important than one game.

The Pats have ONE game against the AFCW but SIX against the AFCE. What's more important?

Depends. The Colts had a 3-3 division record last year, yet their win over the Pats HELPED them secure the #3 seed. In that case the ONE game was more important to them. They could have gone 1-5 in the division and still won the South.

Depends. The Colts had a 3-3 division record last year, yet their win over the Pats HELPED them secure the #3 seed. In that case the ONE game was more important to them. They could have gone 1-5 in the division and still won the South.

The three games they won were the first three so they had a lead to begin with.

The three games they won were the first three so they had a lead to begin with.

Thanks for proving my point, the division games weren't as important.

let me try to sum this up another way

naturally division games are the most important because they count towards both Division and Conference tie breakers, while conference games will count towards only a Conference tie breaker.

So if you are like me and feel that we will win the AFC East outright, then I will remove the Division tie breaker from consideration and thus approach division games as just another conference game. In that case, I would want to win the game that is against the team that we will most likely be competing for home field advantage with (the Chargers).

I don't buy the premise.

The Line on the Pats-Jets game will probably be Pat's by 4+. So they are the favorite, even on the road.

The Line on the Pats-Chargers will problably be Pats by 3.5+. So they will be favored in that game. Remember that most good home teams win, and in "Big games" where you play, DOES make a difference.

So as a favorite in two games the most probable outcome is that the Pats emerge with two victories.

I just want Brady to get used to his new receivers, and the line to fix its problems in the first 2 games. Then we can end up going 14-2, even with 2 losses in the first two games.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes