PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Breakdown of the Patriots 53 Man Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hoping for more TEs...

This was perhaps the most surprising thing to me... only 2 TEs. How are you supposed to run a 3-TE set with only 2 TEs?

This was perhaps the most surprising thing to me... only 2 TEs. How are you supposed to run a 3-TE set with only 2 TEs?

Someone else pointed out that Solder and Maneri were both former TE's. I wonder if Maneri will come in and do blocking duties as well as catch an occasional pass here and there.

Couple of surprises to make this roster. Would've rather seen Yeatman/Smith and obviously Meriweather.

Reading the list if defensive linemen, it is very impressive to see so many big-time veterans together playing for the Patriots. Arguably, Gerard Warren is the least of the group and he was a starter last year. All kinds of talent and experience at both the DE and DT positions. Pass rush and run-stuffing everywhere with that group.

It was also nice to see that BB kept more young, fast LBs to roam behind that mammoth defensive line. This will be a smash-mouth defense with excellent speed in the LB and DB levels.

You bring Alge Crumpler back.

Yeah, if sharper has anything left in the tank, he could switch out with Ihedigbo or Barrett. I'd say Barrett, because Ihedigbo is a ST beast, but BB seems to like Barrett.

Can't see both those guys on the roster at the end of the season.

Tarpinian did the least amount of work ever to earn a roster spot. That is bull.

Last edited:
Yeah, if sharper has anything left in the tank, he could switch out with Ihedigbo or Barrett. I'd say Barrett, because Ihedigbo is a ST beast, but BB seems to like Barrett.

Can't see both those guys on the roster at the end of the season.

If I was a betting man I'd bet Barrett is #3 and Ihedigbo is #4 so if a safety is getting cut it should be Ihedigbo. I really haven't seen this beast mode he supposedly has on ST. Only "beast" on our ST is Slater.

Tarpinian did the least amount of work ever to earn a roster spot. That is bull.

Definitely the most surprising to make roster. Even more then Molden for me. Molden showed some skill and has size so him sticking isn't really a huge surprise but Tarpinian on the roster rather then Morris, Yeatman/Smith is pretty surprising.

I'm surprised by the combination of Smith/Yeatman/Morris. I would have expected at LEAST one of those guys to make the roster. We now have only two TEs and no fullback.

Goal line/short yardage sets are pretty much required to feature Solder or Maneri at TE now. We have just told the world that there is no reason for opponents to worry about gameplanning for a power running play, ever.

If I was a betting man I'd bet Barrett is #3 and Ihedigbo is #4 so if a safety is getting cut it should be Ihedigbo. I really haven't seen this beast mode he supposedly has on ST. Only "beast" on our ST is Slater.

You haven't seen much of the Jets then........... He was their best ST thumper. He's hasn't show anything here, but I actually had him making this squad long before many did. I thought he'd be S depth (when we had that), but he was a great ST player for the Jets.

Last edited:

That was a bit of a head scratcher. BB went with 7 LB's instead of 5 safeties. Thus Tarpinian beats out 2 time, and current, Pro Bowler Meriweather for the last roster spot.

Last edited:
Just did a quick count so my #'s might be a little bit off.

25 of the 53 players on the active roster have 2 years of experience or less.
7 of the 8 players on NFI/IR/PUP fall in the same category.
PS players obviously have less than 2 years experience.

So over half the players we're carrying have 2 years or less experience :eek: And current favorites to win the Super Bowl... that's how you build a team!

He was injured and the fact that he barely played and made the team speaks volumes in regard to how highly BB and the staff regard his talents. Of course, the roster is still fluid and he may not be here when the season starts.

Devin Mccourty, Rob Gronkowski, Brandon Spikes, Jermaine Cunningham, Taylor Price, Aaron Hernandez, Zoltan Mesko, Brandon Deaderick, Dane Fletcher, Kyle Love, and Sergio Brown.

That is what sticks out to me. Arguably 10 players from the 2010 draft class are playing in important roles this year. A superbowl will depend a lot on their progression.

Devin Mccourty, Rob Gronkowski, Brandon Spikes, Jermaine Cunningham, Taylor Price, Aaron Hernandez, Zoltan Mesko, Brandon Deaderick, Dane Fletcher, Kyle Love, and Sergio Brown.

That is what sticks out to me. Arguably 10 players from the 2010 draft class are playing in important roles this year. A superbowl will depend a lot on their progression.

Deaderick is on the PUP list

A Breakdown of the Patriots 53 Man Roster
By: Derek Havens

A full breakdown of the Patriots 53-man roster. ...

Another very solid to good roster across the board, not perfect but as deep as anyone.

Superbowl potential, not in the same class as the 2007 team.

Thank god football starts soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back