PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

7th round fliers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
If BB told you, "Find me a player, and if he's still around with our first comp pick, I'll take him."

One name I'll throw out (who was actually mentioned on the board here):

Kerry Meier, WR, Kansas, 6'3", 220

Why?

He's another QB-to-WR conversion.

OLB/DE Frank Zombo
OLB/DE Alex Daniels
ST/LB Sylvester Stevenson
OLB Matt Featherston
ILB Ryan D'Imperio
CB Prince Miller
S Shann Schillinger
OL Dace Richardson

I'm going by the CBS Draft projections and they have Stafon Johnson projected 7th or UDFA so I'd definitely take a flier on him in the 7th. I had him as a 3rd-5th round target for us before he got hurt and think he's got all the tools to be a very good RB. I think he was overshadowed by the stable of RB's USC had and all the attention Joe McKnight got. I thought Stafon was the most complete back out of all of them.

I also like Andre Dixon of UConn who they have projected as 6-7. A physical back who hits the hole hard and has good vision and some quick feet. Had some off field issues early on in his career by coach Randy E said he feels he's matured a lot and is genuinely a good person.

They have Blount projected as 6-7 as well, and I'd definitely be interested in him but I think he's going to go earlier than that. I'd take him in the 5th. He's a mini Brandon Jacobs with better speed.

Another RB I like is Roy Upchurch of Alabama. Nice physical RB who can also catch the ball. Reminds me of Glen Coffee who I liked coming out last year. Got lost in the rotation behind Ingram and Richardson, but still a talented back.

How about a big gamble on a backup QB in the 7th round or as an UDFA? Ryan Perrilloux. Serious behavior issues at LSU got him kicked off the team so he transferred to Jacksonville St. He was a very highly touted QB coming out of high school. I think he was the #1 recruit in the nation. Can make plays with his arm and legs. Great arm strength like Russell but also had good accuracy and a quick release unlike Russell. Can't imagine he's that good at reading defenses given the competition he's played against. Obviously need to see if he's matured enough and if he's coachable. I highly doubt BB takes a guy like this lol but who knows.

OLB/DE Frank Zombo
OLB/DE Alex Daniels
OLB Matt Featherston
ILB Ryan D'Imperio
CB Prince Miller
S Shann Schillinger
OL Dace Richardson

Considering that may be how many 7th round picks we wind up having....

OLB/DE Frank Zombo
OLB/DE Alex Daniels
OLB Matt Featherston
ILB Ryan D'Imperio
CB Prince Miller
S Shann Schillinger
OL Dace Richardson

Some thoughts, perhaps, on WHY these folks might interest BB, Box? :)

I can speak for Dace Richardson - he is a good RG prospect that has decent mobility and a good initial punch. Schooled by Kirk Ferentz so he knows all the pro-blocks.

Injury history is a concern, but seems to be all healed up.

I suppose my knowing their names isn't good enough? :enranged:

OLB/DE Frank Zombo -- Converted TE; productive pass rusher 28.5 sacks; 2 int; sacks, ints, FF, FR, BK, QBH he just makes plays; good size; good run or pass D; 2 years 1st Team All-MAC.

OLB/DE Alex Daniels -- HS LB; Minnesota converted him to RB his sophomore season (2nd leading rusher); apparently got in some trouble, transferred to Cincinnati and sat out a year; converted to DE, played behind Barwin; took over his senior year at DE and had 9 sacks; good run or pass D; in the Sugar Bowl slaughter he had 6 TT, 3 TFL, 2 sacks and was the one who stood out chasing Tebow all over the field.

ST/LB Sylvester Stevenson -- Utah's big play maker who helped them beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl and California in the Poinsettia Bowl; leading tackler 09, 2nd in TT 08 & 07; leading tackler in 09/08 bowl games, one of the leaders in 07 (big games, he's big too); undersized for NE LB, but he's a likely STs Ace who might be able to convert to SS/LB hybrid.

OLB Matt Featherston -- The "other" LB to Von Miller; good run defender who also got good pressure on the QB; plays the "Jack" which is an apples-to-apples comparison to a NE 3-4 OLB; may never be a sack master, but could be a solid reserve.

ILB Ryan D'Imperio -- Good ILB for Rutgers; good size for NE's ILBs; may never be a starter, but STs/reserve roles he'll be a player.

CB Prince Miller -- he caught my eye in their bowl game against TX A&M; ST's newcomer of the year 2006, ST's Captain 2009; good PR; 21 career starts in the SEC; 5'8" 198 is a bit short, but he plays big.

S Shann Schillinger -- Play making Safety for Montana (a perennial FCS Championship contender); likely PSquad prospect who could work onto STs and into sub-packages.

OL Dace Richardson -- Ferentz-trained OL who can play either Guard, may be able to fill at RT, and probably Center too.

An Addition: WR Mark Mariani -- All-American for Montana; may not be able to separate at this level, but he was productive enough against the top FCS competition to warrant a closer look.

OL Dace Richardson -- Ferentz-trained OL who can play either Guard, may be able to fill at RT, and probably Center too.

Dace played some center at Iowa when injuries occurred.

Not really a flier, but I'd love to see O'Brien Schofield in the 7th. It's a shame that he'll likely be there...

OLB/DE Frank Zombo -- Converted TE; productive pass rusher 28.5 sacks; 2 int; sacks, ints, FF, FR, BK, QBH he just makes plays; good size; good run or pass D; 2 years 1st Team All-MAC.

OLB/DE Alex Daniels -- HS LB; Minnesota converted him to RB his sophomore season (2nd leading rusher); apparently got in some trouble, transferred to Cincinnati and sat out a year; converted to DE, played behind Barwin; took over his senior year at DE and had 9 sacks; good run or pass D; in the Sugar Bowl slaughter he had 6 TT, 3 TFL, 2 sacks and was the one who stood out chasing Tebow all over the field.

ST/LB Sylvester Stevenson -- Utah's big play maker who helped them beat Alabama in the Sugar Bowl and California in the Poinsettia Bowl; leading tackler 09, 2nd in TT 08 & 07; leading tackler in 09/08 bowl games, one of the leaders in 07 (big games, he's big too); undersized for NE LB, but he's a likely STs Ace who might be able to convert to SS/LB hybrid.

OLB Matt Featherston -- The "other" LB to Von Miller; good run defender who also got good pressure on the QB; plays the "Jack" which is an apples-to-apples comparison to a NE 3-4 OLB; may never be a sack master, but could be a solid reserve.

ILB Ryan D'Imperio -- Good ILB for Rutgers; good size for NE's ILBs; may never be a starter, but STs/reserve roles he'll be a player.

CB Prince Miller -- he caught my eye in their bowl game against TX A&M; ST's newcomer of the year 2006, ST's Captain 2009; good PR; 21 career starts in the SEC; 5'8" 198 is a bit short, but he plays big.

S Shann Schillinger -- Play making Safety for Montana (a perennial FCS Championship contender); likely PSquad prospect who could work onto STs and into sub-packages.

An Addition: WR Mark Mariani -- All-American for Montana; may not be able to separate at this level, but he was productive enough against the top FCS competition to warrant a closer look.

Thank you.

Only one I didnt see/recognize was Zombo.

Best available punter

Oh, and LB Pawelek from Baylor impressed me last year in a couple of games I watched. I didn't see Baylor at all this year, but I hadn't heard his name thrown around yet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe