PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5C and later - the long shots

How could Belichick possibly be comfortable with Appleby without any camp competition in case he isn't worth more than a Practice Squad spot, and in case of injury?

Well Guyton did pretty well last year for us but I was just saying that is what we are looking at right now as far as SILB goes IMO. I agree that BB is not totally comfortable with the whole situation but it is what it is and BB will do his best with the situation he has been dealt.

Belichick dealt himself his hand while looking at the cards. Belichick was NOT dealt this hand. Belichick consciously CHOSE not to bring in a free agent ILB and Belichick CHOSE to draft only one developmental linebacker (who we ASSUME will be a future ILB).

Well Guyton did pretty well last year for us but I was just saying that is what we are looking at right now as far as SILB goes IMO. I agree that BB is not totally comfortable with the whole situation but it is what it is and BB will do his best with the situation he has been dealt.

Belichick dealt himself his hand while looking at the cards. Belichick was NOT dealt this hand. Belichick consciously CHOSE not to bring in a free agent ILB and Belichick CHOSE to draft only one developmental linebacker (who we ASSUME will be a future ILB).

The hand dealt to him was having his third rounder go down with a knee injury and the lack of good ILB class in this years draft. Which ILB FA would you have brought in? Lewis, Dansby, Vilma and Scott would have cost to much IMO and I really do not think BB was interested in vets like Andra Davis, Larry Foote, Takeo Spikes, Eric Barton, Mike Peterson and the list goes on. BB did not make the move in FA and kept ILB unaddressed until round three of the draft. I would say that he is comfortable with Teddy status and the development of Guyton.

Last edited:

I'm surprised that Belichick has not addressed the linebacker

position with a few more bodies, especially after McKenzie got

injured. Last year they had one free agent (Hobson), three

draftees, and two UDFAs. Later on, they added Robertson and

Craig.

IMHO, The ILB class was the BEST in many years. EVERY year, we look for 3-4 ILB's. Everyone evaluates the 3-4 talent. This year we had starters available when we picked at THIRTY FOUR. Belichick decided that we didn't need a 2009 or 2010 starter, what we might expect from a #34 pick.

I agree that Belichick is so sure in his 2009 expectations of production and health of the three that we have that he didn't see the need for help. Belichick was so sure of McKenzie for 2010 that we will not have anyone else in the pipeline.

You say that Belichick wasn't interested in some vets and others were too expensive. Yes, that is precisely what we are discussing. This board has spent months discussing what we might do to afford Jason Taylor or Julius Peppers. Almost any of the players you mentioned could have been afforded. Belichick has spent the cap money in the past. He has found linebackers among those who couldn't start elsewhere. Belichick has brought in Vrabel, Phifer, Cox, Colvin and Thomas.

Apparently, this year there simply is no need.

The hand dealt to him was having his third rounder go down with a knee injury and the lack of good ILB class in this years draft. Which ILB FA would you have brought in? Lewis, Dansby, Vilma and Scott would have cost to much IMO and I really do not think BB was interested in vets like Andra Davis, Larry Foote, Takeo Spikes, Eric Barton, Mike Peterson and the list goes on. BB did not make the move in FA and kept ILB unaddressed until round three of the draft. I would say that he is comfortable with Teddy status and the development of Guyton.

IMHO, The ILB class was the BEST in many years. EVERY year, we look for 3-4 ILB's. Everyone evaluates the 3-4 talent. This year we had starters available when we picked at THIRTY FOUR. Belichick decided that we didn't need a 2009 or 2010 starter, what we might expect from a #34 pick.

I agree that Belichick is so sure in his 2009 expectations of production and health of the three that we have that he didn't see the need for help. Belichick was so sure of McKenzie for 2010 that we will not have anyone else in the pipeline.

You say that Belichick wasn't interested in some vets and others were too expensive. Yes, that is precisely what we are discussing. This board has spent months discussing what we might do to afford Jason Taylor or Julius Peppers. Almost any of the players you mentioned could have been afforded. Belichick has spent the cap money in the past. He has found linebackers among those who couldn't start elsewhere. Belichick has brought in Vrabel, Phifer, Cox, Colvin and Thomas.

It almost looks as though Belichick drafted for the 2010 season

instead of the 2009 season. Most of the offensive and defensive

lines are free agents after 2009.

I agree that the draft was about 2010, and should have been. So, who are our four ILB's in 2010? Who are our five OLB's?

We are thin this year at ILB with Bruschi, Mayo and Guyton. We will be thin next year with McKenzie, Mayo and Guyton.

We are thin this year at OLB. Who is replacing Woods and Banta-Cain? Perhaps we are expecting at least one to stay beyond 2009.

We have certainly dealt with the offensive line. We have 18 players in camp competing for 9 roster spots.

And yes, the defensive line has contracts ending for Wilfork, Seymour, Green and Smith. We drafted Brace. What did we do at DE? Is Wright really a potential for major reps?

It almost looks as though Belichick drafted for the 2010 season

instead of the 2009 season. Most of the offensive and defensive

lines are free agents after 2009.

I actually think there is a need this year for another ILB but at this point it does not look good. I just think BB likes what he has at ILB but IMO I would like at least one more guys who can rep not be developmental. I have never been on the whole JT or Peppers train as they are OLB and I think we have alot of youth at that position.

I still cannot believe that ILB was not addressed until round three as I would have jumped on Laurinaitis or Maualauga at #34 but I think I am in the minority on that one.

I know it has been brought up before but what about BB going to a 4-3 due to personnel reason?? Alexander is another wild card but I doubt he will show more this season then he has in the past.

Good point about BB looking at backer who other teams have not been able to get the best out of. I thought that Foote may be an option for us to add someone in the middle with experience in a 3-4 system but I guess that was not to be. Who knows maybe BB will make a trade to an inside backer before the start of training camp??

I just see us adding at least one more guy to our LB core to compete for reps but that is just my opinion.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back