PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5 Keys to Victory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comparing DEFENSEs, the Broncos are far superior on paper.

Denver vs New England

6 INTs compared to 1.
15 sacks vs 8.
Yards per play 4.0 vs 5.4
3rd down efficiency 26% vs 40%
Penalties 21 vs 33
Passing TDs allowed 0 vs 5
Yards / rush 3.2 vs 4.5
TDs 2 vs 8

The D seems on par with the Jets if not better. The Patriots scored 9 points verses Jets. This game will be a major headache for the Patriots Offense.

Last edited:

Denver vs New England

6 INTs compared to 1.
15 sacks vs 8.
Penalties 21 vs 33
Yards / rush 3.2 vs 4.5
TDs 2 vs 8

The D seems on par with the Jets if not better. The Patriots scored 9 points verses Jets. This game will be a major headache for the Patriots Offense.

This game will be a major test of the Pats offense, to see if we can get back in sync. If we're not, it will be a major headache. If we are, I think we can put points up on anyone. We had plenty of opportunities against the Jets. We just didn't execute.

While I would agree that Denver's D is on par with the Jets so far, I would have to make a few observations:

1. I don't think Denver can generate the pressure that the Jets did, and the pressure is what through Brady off. Dumervil is a one man wrecking crew, but we did OK against Atlanta and John Abraham taking him out of the game (obviously, they have different styles). The rest of Denver's front 7 is not that special, and I don't see them bringing the pressure form all angles the way the Jets did. If they do, we have to be able to handle it.

2. I think that Denver is vulnerable to the run. Yes, I understand that they have played good run D so far this season (including against Dallas), but I think they can be attacked. They certainly don't have the kind of run defense that we saw from Baltimore. I think we need to run right at them, and mix up the run and the pass.

We went up against a top defense in week 2, and failed the test. We did much better against Baltimore last week, but they're not playing at a top level right now (except against the run, where we passed). Denver will be a good test.

I'm betting on our offense.

Denver vs New England

6 INTs compared to 1.
15 sacks vs 8.
Penalties 21 vs 33
Yards / rush 3.2 vs 4.5
TDs 2 vs 8

The thing I can't believe people are forgetting about the Jets game is that we didn't have Welker. To me, if you don't include Brady himself, Welker is and always has been the MVP of this offense. Include the fact that he's the best target for short throws and runs quick routes, meaning he's the best target against the blitz, and I think you have an explanation as to why we only put up 9 against the Jets.

Remember - Edelman is his replacement and had a big game against the Jets despite the fact that it was his first NFL game ever. How much more of a difference would Wes have made?

Last edited:
Not a problem, several attempts have been made and I'm still going.:rofl:

I have written my 5 keys last night. They were similar to Mayo's but with a different twist.

1. Be cruel to Elvis- Elvis Dumervil leads the NFL with 8 sacks. If he has 8 sacks then he must many more QB pressures. The Patriots must stop this now. He is one of the est sped rusher in the NFL and Matt Light has had problems with speed rushers. So, he must be chipped by a TE often. Now screens usually work on speed rushers but he would need to be sucked in because he can stop and start on a dime and can break up a screen if he reads it.

2.The Marshall Plan. OK he is an jerk but he is a very talented WR. We have to double him with a safety and knock the snot out of him whenever a ball comes his way.

3.Charity begins at home - The Broncos lead the NFL with +7 in the givaways/takeaways dept. That is a big factor in their 4-0 record. No turnovers by the Patriots.

4. Get Physical- on both sides of the ball. Need to shut down their good RB's and pound their undersized D-Line. Since Nolan has taken over a DC they have become very aggressive like the Ravens and Jets. However they don't have the size in their front 3. Will BeGeezus be active this game? If he is then that will mean that the Patriots intend to runs at them.

5. Heil Kyle- Pressure Orton and make him revert back to his old self.

5a- At the end of the game, have one more point on the board than Denver. I added this one because one of more of you smart asses would post it as a key. And right off someone posted that.

Interesting to see how how our lists matched up. Very similar. I must be slipping.

And no neutering was intended. :p

5 things? Ok, here we go:

1.) Blind-side blitzing.

Orton is still struggling in the offense, and McDaniels has been getting on him a bit for it. He's been playing ultra conservative, and blitzing from the blindside while jumping the short routes could lead to multiple interceptions, as well as forcing Marshall's routes to be shorter.

2.) Run. Run. Run.

The Broncos have 3 new faces starting in the secondary, and the rookie DB is playing well as a nickle/dime sub player. Rather than trying to throw on Bailey and company, the Patriots should start the game by beating up on Denver's defensive line and running a lot of short pass patterns against the linebackers. Waiting until that defense is shocked could yield huge dividends later in the game.

3.) Keep the Denver RBs inside.

Yes, it's true that Guyton has been struggling against the run, but so has the rest of the team. Keeping the running back inside will allow the safeties to make up for the tackling deficiencies of the Patriots defensive linemen and linebackers.

4.) Deep passes to Galloway

With Bailey likely to cover Moss and get safety help while doing it, that should leave the other side of the field available for some deep strikes. Dawkins and Hill have really upgraded the Broncos' secondary, but speed is not their forte. If Galloway can get a step on the CB and Brady can time his throw to the deep sideline, New England could feast on that play. This is the perfect week to get this play working.

5.) Maroney in the open field

For all the griping that people continue to do about Maroney, he is clearly the big strike weapon in the RB arsenal, especially when it comes to slipping out into the pass offense. He had a 30 yard play called back last week, and teams simply can't cover him one-on-one with a linebacker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft