PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

49ers claim JEST-like incompetence; Tarell Brown loses $2,000,000 workout bonus

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The 49ers do not meticulously go through their contracts to figure out clauses and escalators until after the team's offseason workout program.

If the 49ers had known that cornerback Tarell Brown was in line to lose $2 million and see his salary reduced to $925,000, the 49ers would have informed him, 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said Sunday.

Really? You don't keep track of things like players who are owed $2M if they show up for workouts?

Harbaugh wants to work toward a contract solution with Brown | CSN Bay Area

"Brown fired his agent, Brian Overstreet, on Thursday after learning that his decision to work out in Dallas meant that he forfeited more than two-thirds of his salary in a escalator."

How do guys like this so-called agent get these gigs? Gross incompetence. Could you see Miguel missing this? I reviewed the piss outa every contract I ever signed while in industry.

reflects worst on the agent but if someone offered me millions I would read the fine print. Sad the way these kids rely on their advisors to their detriment. Now I better understand Welker signing with Denver.

That agent will never get another client. That's just weapons-grade sucking-at-your-job.

"Brown fired his agent, Brian Overstreet, on Thursday after learning that his decision to work out in Dallas meant that he forfeited more than two-thirds of his salary in a escalator."

How do guys like this so-called agent get these gigs? Gross incompetence. Could you see Miguel missing this? I reviewed the piss outa every contract I ever signed while in industry.
I read Brown's agent, Overstreet, faxed a letter to Tarell informing of the $2M requirement to workout in the Bay Area instead of Dallas. Unfortunately, Tarell got a great deal on a reconditioned FAX MACHINE from the Bronco's front office.

The other question is how do you agree to a contract in which two thirds is tied to showing up to an off season workout? Makes no sense... is this normal in the NFL?

Also, how can a player not know this either? I mean, wouldn't you as a player review and familiarize yourself with the contract you're signing? At least the money part. This entire story is crazy.

The other question is how do you agree to a contract in which two thirds is tied to showing up to an off season workout? Makes no sense... is this normal in the NFL?

Also, how can a player not know this either? I mean, wouldn't you as a player review and familiarize yourself with the contract you're signing? At least the money part. This entire story is crazy.
No Kidding! Are you kidding me. Two-thirds of your SALARY is tied to just showing up in the Bay Area and you or your agent don't know this. Come on man.

What was the decision process when Tarell woke up that spring day? Did he flip a coin? Heads for Dallas, tails for Santa Clara? Amazing.

BTW, there is ZERO culpability by the Niners on this one IMO. They are not baby-sitters.

I wonder if that's really true or just Harbaugh feeding some BS.

I mean, the 49ers have to be thrilled this happened. The player is pissed, and the last thing they want to do is escalate this by gloating over how stupid he was.

This move saves them $2M. I only wish my "incompetence" turned out so well.

I wonder if that's really true or just Harbaugh feeding some BS.

I mean, the 49ers have to be thrilled this happened. The player is pissed, and the last thing they want to do is escalate this by gloating over how stupid he was.

This move saves them $2M. I only wish my "incompetence" turned out so well.
Isn't that the truth: don't track a key-date and save up to $2M on your company's budget. :)

I'm almost certain the Niner's Salary Cap SW (provided to each of the franchises by the NFL) has a 'key-dates' capability. Early in my career I worked for a 3-letter computer & laptop manufacturer and helped one of the NFL teams debug a modem connection issue with the NFL Salary Cap SW they were given from the NFL. This was back in the early-to-mid-90's. The capability of that 1990's era SW to calculate, slice and dice various Salary Cap scenarios was pretty impressive. That's over 19 years ago with a laptop's internal 56kb modem at training camp with the newly promoted Director of Player Personnel sweating bullets. That guy became another team's EVP of Football Operations and is now doing a sports talk radio show.

I'm sure every key-date is on a master calendar updated automatically by the team's Salary Cap/Contracts SW based on contract specifics.

You are right convertedpatsfan, the last thing the Niners want to do is have Tarell play the year pissed at his Agent, his team and the world. They can be a hero with some movement on his contract and perhaps benefit with their cap too. Harbaugh is feeding the media a line of BS. Now, maybe he is like the president with the Front Office not telling him so he has 'plausible deniability' ... :confused: I could see that; but, there had to be a 'wink-wink' by someone in the FO to Coach Harbaugh. :rolleyes:

Isn't that the truth: don't track a key-date and save up to $2M on your company's budget. :)

I'm almost certain the Niner's Salary Cap SW (provided to each of the franchises by the NFL) has a 'key-dates' capability.

SW? :confused:

Yeah that's kinda hard to believe. I don't think the 49ers are losing sleep over not paying this guy 2mill bucks. This saves them cap room right? Otherwise I wouldn't think anyone but the owner would really care weather he had the bonus or not. Could be wrong I don't know how the coach/gm budget or what not.

I blame the agent not the team. The team should let the player know as a courtesy. The agent is getting a fee from the player to make sure he know if he has a $2 million escalator that he adheres to the terms of the contract so that he makes that escalator.

The only ones showing "JEST-like incompetence" here are Brown and his agent. The 49ers are probably laughing themselves silly.

This is one'f the funniest Stories of the Off Season!!
jester.gif

1 ~ The kid needs to invest some of the remnants of his Salary into buying a Map & a Calendar.

2 ~ Or maybe he should've taken 10 Seconds, at some point in the last Year or so, and put a "Reminder" in gMail or iPad or something? A little Pop Up, saying something like "Don't forget to pick up your $2,000,000, A-HOLE"???
jester.gif

Really? You don't keep track of things like players who are owed $2M if they show up for workouts?

Harbaugh wants to work toward a contract solution with Brown | CSN Bay Area

Funny story, San Fran's GM may foul up from time to time but their roster is no joke.

At least Brown can play a little bit, not like the $5,000,000 a year of productivity the Patriots got for Stinko.

Honestly, this petty bull**** about other teams and the mistakes they make is pathetic. Look at the Patriots offseason, not exactly picture perfect.

Find something else to do instead of *****ing about other teams.

Funny story, San Fran's GM may foul up from time to time but their roster is no joke.

At least Brown can play a little bit, not like the $5,000,000 a year of productivity the Patriots got for Stinko.

Honestly, this petty bull**** about other teams and the mistakes they make is pathetic.

Look at the Patriots offseason, not exactly picture perfect.

Find something else to do instead of *****ing about other teams

Amen, Brother!! :rocker:

I blame the agent not the team. The team should let the player know as a courtesy. The agent is getting a fee from the player to make sure he know if he has a $2 million escalator that he adheres to the terms of the contract so that he makes that escalator.

I don't see it as the team's responsibility to let anyone know -- the team assumed the agent was competent. It would be like me reminding you to tie your shoes in the morning (not quite the same, but in essence I would assume you already know this).

I don't blame the player either -- Athletes aren't necessarily the smartest people; and they have the money to hire other people to take care of things they don't care about -- like contract details. The player assumed the agent was smart enough to inform him of key issues -- such as when 2/3 of his salary is due.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back