PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

49ers: Alex Smith Done for the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator Mike

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
I hate to see a guy with a serious injury but I'm so pissed at the NFL stealing our #1 it's tough to be too upset for me unless Dilfer actually has something left.

Trent Dilfer at QB? - Is Tim Rattay still playing somewhere?

O.K. if Dilfer is starting QB who will the Patriots draft as the #1 pick?

HA-HA F-you Goodell - We gotcha anyways!!

Don't mess with the Pats,First we take your punishment and turn it into motivation for a SB triumph and then we go from losing a draft pick in the first round to the top of the draft list with the other one. (hoping anyways)

That BLOWS. I feel terrible for him. For their sake, I hope Gore stays healthy. Ahem.

No offense to Smith or the niners, really not personal.

OK pie in the sky time. The PATs win the SB and get the number one overall pick, I think the rest of the NFL fanbase might collapse into a supernova of pure hatred. Sweet.

A bit too early to ask this but what the heck - If Dilfer is QB I think we can expect a top 5 pick at worst - Who is the best LB coming out of the draft?

We better go ILB this time around

Bruschi and Seau are bidding adeau next year - a near certainty

I don't know why people are assuming a top 5 pick out of the 49ers. Their improved D and a running game and being in the NFC will help them more than you think. If Dilfer manages the game, as he did with a similar-type (but at a different level) team in Baltimore, they might win some games. I think it's best to see how it goes moving forward before getting too CAWCKY about it.

(By the way, it's RIDICULOUS that we can't type the actual word for cawcky here - what are we, twelve? Ian, can we change that?)

Very good news. I'm not going to pretend to be upset over an injury for a non-Patriot, I'm glad that they'll be starting Dilfer at QB for the rest of the year and that Dilfer will be largely responsible for where the Patriots pick in next year's draft.

That said, I hope Alex Smith makes a full recovery and goes on to develop as a quarterback...just not this year and not when the Patriots have the 49ers pick.

Frank Gore; get used to seeing 8 men in the box on every possible running down.

Last edited:
I don't know why people are assuming a top 5 pick out of the 49ers. Their improved D and a running game and being in the NFC will help them more than you think. If Dilfer manages the game, as he did with a similar-type (but at a different level) team in Baltimore, they might win some games. I think it's best to see how it goes moving forward before getting too CAWCKY about it.

(By the way, it's RIDICULOUS that we can't type the actual word for cawcky here - what are we, twelve? Ian, can we change that?)

For reasons like Dilfer was aided BIG time by a stifling Baltimore defense in 2000 (arguably the best defense since the 85 Bears) which made Dilfer only have to worry about not as many points as he is going to need with this 49ers defense who is going to give up many more points than Baltimore has and is Frank Gore going to go back to what he did last year is up in the air right now
- You can't compare the Ravens and 49ers defense and if thats the case then Dilfer is going to have to score more for the niners to do well,I think without going back to look at that 2000 season Dilfer probably only needed to have his team score 17-24 points on average to win most of those games in 2000.

Not to mention Trent is not 28 anymore hes 35 and not anything like a Brett Favre

BTW: Try typing (ocky - That way,It works best

Last edited:

Arizona (W)
@St. Louis (W)
@Pittsburgh (L)
Seattle (L)

Projections

Baltimore (L - big bounce back for an under-performing Ravens team)
@NY Giants (L)
New Orleans (W)
@Atlanta (50/50 I'll say W)
@Seattle (L)
St. Louis (W)
@Arizona (L - redemption, beat Steelers, will be at home)
@Carolina (50/50 I'll say L, better D and might have their sh*t together)
Minnesota (W)
Cincinnati (L)
Tampa Bay (L)
@Cleveland (50/50 I'll say W, who knows how good Cleveland really is)

Record = 7-9

Not an unreasonable projection, probably gives us 7th overall pick?

Still, when the rest of the league realizes at the end of this year that the Pats will have a top 10 pick they'll have hissy fits.

1. Lets hope for a FULL recovery.
2. 7-9 won't get a top 7 pick. On the other hand, it could get a pick in the low teens, and a bunch of very good players have come out of that range (including Ty Warren).
3. Don't get your hearts set on an ILB. We may also have a need at CB, since Samuel and Gay are both FAs after this year.

Have you see nthe 9ers offense this year with Smith? Dilfer is probably better to be honest.....This hurts us I think....Although probably not a difference of more than 1-2 games. Niners should finish 7-9 or so......

A bit too early to ask this but what the heck - If Dilfer is QB I think we can expect a top 5 pick at worst - Who is the best LB coming out of the draft?

We better go ILB this time around

Bruschi and Seau are bidding adeau next year - a near certainty

I never want to see a player hurt. That said, this should improve our draft position. I think top 10 would be more of a likely outcome. There's still some talent on the team, although my 49 friend is indicating that Vernon Davis is struggling. A top 10 pick should allow us to get the top LB or DB. I'm looking at some of the draft sites and there don't appear to be a lot of big, 3-4 backers that are that highly rated.

Everyone hold their horses on some of these comments..

1. Dilfer is NOT better than SMITH! Granted, Smith has started off slow this season but Dilfer is no way an upgrade over Smith. Did you see him look lost and get beaten up??

2. The 49ers could easily be 0-4 right now. They won by a total of 4 points in those two games.. Honestly if Arizona never went to a prevent defense, they would have won..

3. Lawson is out for the year and they are still learning to play the 3-4. They aren't good stopping the run and they can't be depended on to hold the fort while their offense sputters..

4. V. Davis has not panned out the way they figured when they made him their top pick last year..

don't be surprised if they finish 4-12 or 6-10..

Ok, so lets say this is true and we get a top 10 pick, what do you think Bioli will do with it? I dont think they will want to stay there since the cap hit would be higher then Im sure they would want to spend........

I say they trade for a mid round pick and another 2nd rounder. This years crop is apparently loads better talent wise then last year, so more early picks the better

This 49ers pick isn't one of those protected picks where if it's say a top 5 pick, they retain it? Someone called WEEI yesterday thinking that it was and that was the first time I heard anything about it being a protected pick.

This 49ers pick isn't one of those protected picks where if it's say a top 5 pick, they retain it? Someone called WEEI yesterday thinking that it was and that was the first time I heard anything about it being a protected pick.
Never heard a thing about that - never heard of it in football before in fact. However with 2 wins already I don't think it'll be top 5 anyway. 7-13 or so, probably :rocker:

No, it's our pick no matter where it lands in the draft order.

I hope Alex Smith makes a full recovery and goes on to develop as a quarterback...just not this year and not when the Patriots have the 49ers pick.

Amen.

The 49ers schedule is too weak to expect a bottom-5 finish, which is fine with me -- the top handful of picks are far too expensive (and as teams realize this, it's getting harder to trade down). IMO there tends to be a draft sweet spot from roughly picks 6 to maybe 14, a plateau of high grade talent with a real dropoff as you approach the 6-year contract divide. Take a look at picks 11-14 last year:

Patrick Willis
Marshawn Lynch
Adam Carriker
Darelle Revis

An SF record of 6-10 or 7-9 should put us right in that sweet spot, a place we haven't visited since Ty Warren in 2003.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes