PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

30 for 30: Randy Moss on espn Tuesday night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then why a big deal after 2007? Sorry I just don't buy that. Ya maybe in 09 it became an issue..but if it was an issue in 07...they wouldn't have gave him that deal

He was too damn good to let go. We heard an even greater amount of stuff about Ahern (after the fact, of course) and they extended him. These guys aren't all choir boys.

But I realize my "evidence" isn't all that compelling. Just passing it along because I was convinced enough to believe it contributes to this conversation.

Then why a big deal after 2007? Sorry I just don't buy that. Ya maybe in 09 it became an issue..but if it was an issue in 07...they wouldn't have gave him that deal

He was too damn good to let go. We heard an even greater amount of stuff about Ahern (after the fact, of course) and they extended him. These guys aren't all choir boys.

But I realize my "evidence" isn't all that compelling. Just passing it along because I was convinced enough to believe it contributes to this conversation.

At the end of the 2007 season, Randy was going for a contract. It is speculation, but Randy might have a bit concerned about his future in Foxboro and thus vocal in the locker room which backs up @Oswlek and is consistent with his behavior in the early part of 2010.

Which is why I conceded that my "reliable" comment was off base. The fact that it was a chance meeting is irrelevant, all that matters was the content. In this case, I was completely convinced, though anyone can believe whatever they wish.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but what you first said was that the "combination" of the two sources was "pretty convincing." I argued that, objectively, it wasn't. Now, you've qualified your original remark to say that you personally were "completely convinced," but don't expect others necessarily to "believe" it, which is a different statement from your original statement and one with which I have no issue.

No big deal. What you said in the first place is consistent with what I was able to be observe about Moss during those years.

The reason I even bothered responding at all was that I kind of have this thing about people out here who imply that they have some sort of information that is not available to the public, which they never do because those who do have that kind of information don't talk about it.

Now, you've qualified your original remark to say that you personally were "completely convinced,"

True, but in fairness to me, a conversation with a Patriots employee which is then confirmed by a conversation with a well known Patriots media member sounds far more "reliable" when you are there then it does reading it on a message board. :)

Last edited:
I'm just going off what he said.

When he beat a kid half to death it was the towns fault, plus he only "stomped on his neck twice."

When he got caught for marijuana while serving his sentence it's cuz the police are against him.

When the town that made him a king marches down the street to support him he craps on them in an interview and only takes it back not because he regretted it, but because his family still lived there.

Then he goes on some crusade to show up WVU even though he blew them off, not the other way around.

After all that and an additional few criminal charges the world owes him an apology for not drafting him top 10 because "he went through some stuff?"

I used to love Moss but this documentary made clear that Moss was a spoiled athlete who was coddled his whole life and faced very little adversity. And whenever he did make himself a millionaire, instead of being magnanimous he just s**** on everyone and blames them for all his problems- to this day.

He can't regret anything, because according to Moss he's never done anything wrong.

How can anyone argue with any of that?

Randy Moss is a jackass, no matter how many passes he caught from Tom Brady or anyone else.

No one who knows me has ever accused me of being a "bleeding heart," but I think your assessment is unnecessarily harsh.

Yes, the beating that the kid received was criminal and its perpetrators should have been and indeed were punished, but the documentary made a real effort at putting it into a context that included racist taunting and what we would now call "bullying" by a majority of a relatively small minority contingent. The documentary doesn't at any point suggest that it was "the town's fault," but it clearly suggests that the event was not without ongoing, repeated and cruel provocation.

The documentary does not say that he was apprehended for marijuana use because the police were against him, but does present the fact that no one else had ever had their probation/parole revoked in that town for possession of a small amount of marijuana for personal use, which is now legal in many states and large cities. But that is what happened to Moss.

The documentary also does not suggest that Moss feels anyone owes him an apology for his not being drafted higher, but rather that he fully understands why he wasn't drafted higher and that he used this as motivation.

As for the rest of your comments, I guess I'll just leave it that I really disagree that he "faced very little adversity."

He was a young guy without a lot of role models and he ****ed up, big time, costing himself chances to go to Notre Dame and Florida and several million dollars based on how far he dropped in the Draft. He remained a difficult guy throughout his career; a prima donna Wide Receiver. He left the Pats in a huff but, as others have pointed out, he never trashed them as he did so.

And yes, a lot of this was spite by people in West Virginia, whose name nobody knows today. Moss mishandled his relationship with that community big time, but he wasn't getting a lot of help in dealing with it.

Not every black athlete who succeeds is Michael Jordan or Derek Jeter or DJ or Parish or Big Papi or even an obnoxious LeBron or Carmelo, who manage to keep their noses clean. A lot of these guys have a lot harder time getting past where they came from.

As a dad, I look at Randy Moss and wish I had had a chance to be his parent or teacher when he was 10 or 11, the age my kids are today. God only knows whether I could have made a difference in his life, but maybe someone could have done so.

I hope you're not so harsh on those near and dear to you.

I hope you're not so easy on those near and dear to you.

Not only is your heart bleeding, it's gushing all over the place, and for a guy who wouldn't give you the time of day.

As a dad, I look at Randy Moss and wish someone talked some sense into him or his dad stuck around. Just because none of that happened it doesn't mean that I have to accept his poor behavior.

True, but in fairness to me, a conversation with a Patriots employee which is then confirmed by a conversation with a well known Patriots media member sounds far more "reliable" when you are there then it does reading it on a message board. :)

I'm sure that if I knew you outside the context of the board that would likely be the case. But, out here, anonymous quotes and information are a dime a dozen.

Don't take that personally. I just think that those of us who are, from time to time, fortunate enough to get some special information shouldn't spread it around without being ready to attribute it.

I hope you're not so easy on those near and dear to you.

Not only is your heart bleeding, it's gushing all over the place, and for a guy who wouldn't give you the time of day.

As a dad, I look at Randy Moss and wish someone talked some sense into him or his dad stuck around. Just because none of that happened it doesn't mean that I have to accept his poor behavior.
Thank you for your feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents