PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

23 hits on Brady...most on any QB since 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fleming and Cannon were basically useless. The rusher coming off the edge had them beat repeatedly. It probably would have been better to just put another WR on the field because the rusher was essentially unblocked anyway. I just don't know how you can repeatedly get beat on the edge with the same move nearly every play.

Well that's either player ability or lack of coaching. I think it's both. They have serious talent deficiencies there even with Solder in there. Doesn't fix the interior.

I lay it at his feet because over his two years I've seen none - NONE - of our Oline, all pro vet, jag, rookie or scrub improve from whatever their original skill level was when Googs got his hands on them. The flat-out incompetence I see from the Oline can't - simply can't - be just injuries and skill. There is a disconnect between coach's scheming and players' understanding that never occurred under Scar.
Name names of who has regressed significantly and noticeably. Solder was out for the year, Kline has always been a back-up quality guard, Stork has been concussion-riddled, Jackson played better as the year went on before getting injured, Mason has always been a project, Cannon... see Kline, and Fleming is terrible. So who has regressed from where they were before Goog getting his hands on them that wasn't injured?

There is no question that the offensive line was terrible yesterday, but I have to credit the Broncos defense for wreaking havoc at all three levels.

As for 2016, I think the offensive line needs reinforcements for sure, especially the OT position.

Fleming and Cannon were basically useless. The rusher coming off the edge had them beat repeatedly. It probably would have been better to just put another WR on the field because the rusher was essentially unblocked anyway. I just don't know how you can repeatedly get beat on the edge with the same move nearly every play.

Lack of talent/ability. Coaching doesn't stop you from learning a guy and then stopping it. Worse are the bull rushes.

Yeah, it's amazing how much that seems to matter. It actually seems like the really top offensive lines are a group of 5 guys who are close off the field too...

There's a cultural/personality aspect of that at times I guess I don't want to get into...

Yep. Look at last year. Stork was a rookie but he had two seasoned veterans on either side of him, two OTs that are also vets and a Qb who has seen it all. He was protected.

This year was all about youth, inexperience and injuries on the line .

Thats it.

The team went 10-0 with Andrews playing center, and then he couldn't get on the field. I say that with no confidence that he was worthy of playing over someone else out there, but it sure seems like sticking him at center and sliding Stork over may have been helpful.
They would have been 10-0 with Stork at center.

Name names of who has regressed significantly and noticeably. Solder was out for the year, Kline has always been a back-up quality guard, Stork has been concussion-riddled, Jackson played better as the year went on before getting injured, Mason has always been a project, Cannon... see Kline, and Fleming is terrible. So who has regressed from where they were before Goog getting his hands on them that wasn't injured?
I'll allow you Jackson as a counter example but to my eye all the rest have been playing no better or worse. I get it about the injuries. Yes, injured players will be worse off than if they weren't injured. Backups forced to start will be worse than the injured starter they replace. What I have been looking for since the beginning of last season was some sign that Googs was coaching the guys up; that whoever got the job got better at it as time went on. I haven't seen it. It's still Keystone Kops out there.

Yep. Look at last year. Stork was a rookie but he had two seasoned veterans on either side of him, two OTs that are also vets and a Qb who has seen it all. He was protected.

Thats it.

But it wasn't last year either. He got hammered against Seattle for instance. They have serious issues and that I fully expect to be worse next year. Nothing, from coaching to player ability gives me much hope. I hope I'm wrong. I just feel something died in Denver. Something that is so flawed was exposed. Most teams won't be able to exploit it, but the good D-line teams will.

I'm borderline on that. Losses to Seattle and Pitt. One each to the East teams. If they don't get an Alshon Jeffrey type AND fix the o-line it may be worse than that.

Certainly I agree that this team has some issues; we'd be fooling ourselves to say otherwise. But with the right offseason and if things break right, they could fully reload and be the best Pats team of all. We'll have to see though. This offseason should focus on the offense except for resigning Hicks and finding more CB depth (someone who can push Ryan).

They would have been 10-0 with Stork at center.
I don't disagree, but the fact is it was with Andrews...maybe they would have been better with Andrews and Stork instead of Stork and Kline?

I honestly don't know, and I do, generally, have faith in the coaching staff to take a look at what they have in the offseason, accurately project those guys who will take the next step, etc. It's just hard not to wonder if they didn't miss the right combination this year.

I would cut Fleming tomorrow. He's absolute trash and he's as soft as cake. At no point should he be relied upon to protect Brady.
Don't know about you, but some cakes are tough, I will say soft as cotton candy.

OL is part of it, but how different was this game plan vs the one the Jets used in 2011 playoffs? Rush 3, drop 8 for the most part. Broncos were beating 5 men with 3! with 3!. Canon should not have been allowed on the plane back.

My kids turned 13 today...can they try out for the O-line?

But it wasn't last year either. He got hammered against Seattle for instance. They have serious issues and that I fully expect to be worse next year. Nothing, from coaching to player ability gives me much hope. I hope I'm wrong. I just feel something died in Denver. Something that is so flawed was exposed. Most teams won't be able to exploit it, but the good D-line teams will.

SEA was a great defense. Sometimes the matchups are not favorable. When Avril went out it got much easier.

I do think it is unreasonable to assume Tom will be able to get the ball out 2.1 seconds every game.

Im not sure if its talent, scheme, experience yet. I need time to process the season.

What am I missing with Cannon being put on an island with Miller all game, he had little TE help or chip blocks from RB's. It felt like every single time he was left with no help Miller had a free run at Brady. That is just unacceptable, and as bad as Cannon played I honestly don't fault him...he's not a mobile lineman, leaving him to cover the MOST athletic edge rusher in football by himself is a recipe for disaster.

The solution, of course, is 'bring in better linemen', but then the line looked like a strength for the team a few weeks into the season before the injuries started piling up. Healthy Solder, then Vollmer's over there. Once you lose that LT things go to hell on any team. So yea, another quality tackle would help, but ultimately they need health and consistency. And at least for this game I blame the coaching. Why didn't they run some passes over Miller's head as he was coming in practically free (ala Edelman in the flat on that failed 4th down), you try to neutralize the pressure with plays in that direction.

I don't know...it wasn't pretty, and Brady was clearly rattled but still battled like a champion. Tip your cap to the Denver D and especially Miller but there was a huge dose of bad coaching imo that contributed to the offensive struggles.

I don't disagree, but the fact is it was with Andrews...maybe they would have been better with Andrews and Stork instead of Stork and Kline?

That is a reasonable question.

I want to understand why they moved Mason - who has played almost exclusively at LG all year to RG for the playoffs and Kline at LG. I think it was a communication/chemistry issue somewhere.

I honestly don't know, and I do, generally, have faith in the coaching staff to take a look at what they have in the offseason, accurately project those guys who will take the next step, etc. It's just hard not to wonder if they didn't miss the right combination this year.

I think they do know what the issues were and god help them they don't figure it out next year as at 39, TB12 CANNOT take a beating like he did the last 8 games of this year again or his career will be over.

I am no surprised. Denver was getting a jump on the ball. I fcking hate playing in that place. It all comes back to HFA

Thats it.

I would like to see the team sign another solid veteran to the IOL this offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST