PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread 2023 Week 2: Patriots Lose to Dolphins 24-17

Immediate Postgame Reactions
"It’s more about execution than belief. I think the belief and the faith in each other, in the team, I don’t think that’s a problem. When you look at that, we could’ve laid down and quit when we down there by two scores. We didn’t. We kept moving, kept battling, put ourselves in a chance to win right there at the end. But I think it’s more of execution than it is belief.” - David Andrews

Bear forgot to mention the little Talent thingy.

More importantly, I can't think of BB EVER sacrificing the future in a "win now" sacrifice-the-future move like so many other teams do (to his credit, IMHO), it is why the Pats under BB have never had a truly catastrophe season leading to a top 5 pick (our idea of catastrophe is a 7 or 8 win season).

For Cleveland, after having the overall #1 pick in 2017 and 2018 Cleveland sent a "win now" package for Watson starting at three freaking first round picks plus a fully guaranteed $230M contract (!). The Fins drafted Tua with the 5th overall pick then sent a 1st and 2nd draft picks for Hill (with a 4 year $120M extension!) and then they spent two very high 1st round picks to trade up for Waddle (not to mention sending away and extra 1st for Chubb), and also lost a 1st by tampering for Brady, all "win now" moves. Teams like the Saints, Bucks, Jets Broncos and most famously the Rams sacrificed the future with "win now" moves that bit them later.

BB doesn't do "win now, sacrifice the future" in my memory. And, currently the Pats look to be in excellent shape for the future on defense (with the future of the secondary looking especially bright), they have at least one top RB, and the TE position finally looks solid. The interior OL arguably looks good once everyone gets healed up and gets used to playing as a team. I still think that Mac has promise as a starting QB (and I thought he looked pretty good in both the last two games when he wasn't on his back). And we have some promising rookies at WR. I would argue that all the Pats need to be a real contender again is to get (or have someone emerge) as a true #1 WR threat and to fix our abysmal OT situation. I still think the future is bright for the Pats. And, yes, the glass is half full. :)
2018-2019 says hello.

I looked for the quote, but Belichick pretty much admitted that they went all in at the end of the run.

It's so funny, his rookie year, he was too energetic, last year, he was too emotional, this year, he's been more business-like through two games and now he's not showing enough emotion. It's interesting to listen to some of the discussion on talk radio in terms of what they're zeroing in on to kill him for.

Not saying it's from you because I know where it's coming from, but it's just bizarre people on air are beating on him for the opposite of what he had been doing when it comes to this.
The real problem is that Mac hasn't married a Brazilian model, he doesn't drink broccoli juice for breakfast, he didn't go to the University of Michigan, he wasn't drafted as a catcher by the Montreal Expos, and most importantly, he isn't.....

Well, you know. :)

It's so funny, his rookie year, he was too energetic, last year, he was too emotional, this year, he's been more business-like through two games and now he's not showing enough emotion. It's interesting to listen to some of the discussion on talk radio in terms of what they're zeroing in on to kill him for.

Not saying it's from you because I know where it's coming from, but it's just bizarre people on air are beating on him for the opposite of what he had been doing when it comes to this.
I dont live in NE.

Jones is not worth my time to call anyone and he will be gone soon enough because he does not belong in the NFL.

I'm not gonna complain about our draft and crap on them. We have decent players. It's not Madden where we have All-Pros all over the place. If Mac makes some winning plays last week instead of brain dead delay of game and eating that sack, we beat the Eagles. Even with the pick six, he had two drives to win the game.

Even against the Dolphins and all their elite speed players, we were a drive away from tying the game. Mac makes some winning plays here and there and we beat them too.

Ultimately our QB does not make winning plays. He has the ball every single offensive play and makes all the important decisions. We can't say 'Brady made Belichick' when we were winning, and then crap on Belichick when we have a QB who looks like the anti-Brady.

I root for the guy but I just don't think he has what it takes to win in the playoffs.

I dont live in NE.

Jones is not worth my time to call anyone and he will be gone soon enough because he does not belong in the NFL.
I didn't say you were the one calling in. Again, that narrative is making its way around sports radio, various talking points, etc.

As for Jones' future, time will tell, I guess. We'll see how things look in Week 18, and by then, we'll probably have a good feel for whether or not they're going to want to pick up his option and keep him beyond next year.

Jones is essentially a rookie....again, thanks to Bill's catastrophic blundering.

Bear forgot to mention the little Talent thingy.
You got to love the generic answers all players say that if they only "execute" they will win. Deep down they know it comes down to beating the other man.

People were ready to crucify Tua in Miami and Allen in Buffalo until both teams made moves and upgraded their protection and offensive playmakers. I think Allen might be able to survive here, but I don't think Tua would fare too well and probably not much better than Jones.

People were ready to crucify Tua in Miami and Allen in Buffalo until both teams made moves and upgraded their protection and offensive playmakers. I think Allen might be able to survive here, but I don't think Tua would fare too well and probably not much better than Jones.
Ian...Tua throws a better football period and take good chances his footballs doesn't defy gravity like Mac Jones. One thing is that is glaring with Mac he doesn't throw well outside the numbers any DC can see that...wait Ray Charles can see that. Houston we have a problem.
Ray Charles Laugh GIF

I dont live in NE.

Jones will be in the NFL for years. He does belong in the NFL. He is a starting caliber QB. That is undeniable.

Even if Mac fails here, he will get other chances on another team to compete to start and at worst could be a back up for the next decade or two.

Ian...Tua throws a better football period and take good chances his footballs doesn't defy gravity like Mac Jones. One thing is that is glaring with Mac he doesn't throw well outside the numbers any DC can see that...wait Ray Charles can see that. Houston we have a problem.
Ray Charles Laugh GIF
I'm not arguing arm strength. I'm pointing out the fact Tua was on the outs down there (they were in on Watson, if you recall, and were ready to move on from him) until they decided to go the other way and acquire Waddle (his former college teammate). Then everything changed. Same with Allen.

I agree. But there were still decent candidates in the fourth round in Jaelyn Duncan, Dawand Jones, and Carter Warren.
Are any of these guys playing? Any reports on how well?

Jones will be in the NFL for years. He does belong in the NFL. He is a starting caliber QB. That is undeniable.

Even if Mac fails here, he will get other chances on another team to compete to start and at worst could be a back up for the next decade or two.
Josh Rosen says Hi. :rolleyes:
Season 9 Ok GIF by The Office

Not sure how anyone can watch the last 2 games and pin those losses on Mac Jones. Other than it's the narrative they want to feed. Not saying he's been amazing but he's not the top of the list why we are losing. It's not like our receivers are wide open by 20 yards and he's missing them. The pick was bad but at the same time parker is supposed to win those 50-50 balls and instead got bodied like the average receiver he is and didn't put up a single fight.

Put Tua back there and Mac on the other side and the result is the same

He's light years ahead of where he was last year. But we have no run game, our OL can't block and our receivers are average. Hard to compete with those 3 things going against you. No threat of run, no play action.

In today's NFL you need elite skill players to win. We have none. At one point 88 out of 111 of tuas yards were YAC.

Meanwhile we have slow as molasses juju going backwards on a screen.

Clearly Mac belongs in the NFL. The team is just bringing a knife to a gun fight

The toxicity here after this loss is pretty amazing; it's like the Game Day Thread backed up and flooded the forum with three feet of sh*t.

I'm not arguing arm strength. I'm pointing out the fact Tua was on the outs down there (they were in on Watson, if you recall, and were ready to move on from him) until they decided to go the other way and acquire Waddle (his former college teammate). Then everything changed. Same with Allen.
Ian: it comes down to ball placement for a QB Tua most of the times put the football where his guys can get it. Mac love to put it where the other Team gets it he should have had a couple of picks last night. I don't see what you see in him I don't think Mac is better than G Minshew .

To the "it's all Macs fault!" Crowd. Name me a QB who would lead us to wins with no run game a poor OL and parker/Bourne/juju as your receivers.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back