PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Pregame Thread 2023 Week 2 OFFICIAL Pre-Game Thread: Patriots vs Dolphins (EDIT: was Phish chatter)

Pregame Discussion ahead of the LIVE game day discussion thread. The actual Game Thread will Open an hour ahead of kickoff.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Their o-line is major crap compared to Eagles.
I heard otherwise. At least vs the Chargers.

Lamm filled in at LT for the oft-injured Armstead. Did well. Their RG in vastly underrated, Robert Hunt. RT is Austin Jackson. I think he is talented enough. But he’s no Lane Johnson.

The key to the game is our DEs beating their OTs. Tua will wilt if that happens.

Maybe we see ole friend Wynn. He is LG behind Eichenberg.

It’s going to be good. I like the Patriots chances.

Watching some of that Mia-LA game, was like watching a college game. 2-3 great players on either side and everyone else is just there for the scholarship.

Hanging 36 on the Chargers and their Sieve Defense is much different than the Pats top 5 defense. They won't score more than 20-24 pts on the Pats.
The Waddle and Hill will get their catches, but then what? They had 70yds rushing against a bottom 1/3 defense.

The Dolphins can't stop the run and struggle against the pass without Ramsey. Mac threw for 316 and 3td against the Eagles.

I like our chances in the match up at home.
Just watched the condensed version. That was tough to watch. I guess if a person who just likes watching big play after big play with little to no defense, then that was their game. I'm not sure why either team rolled out their defense.

Miami got decent pressure on Herbert. But he would just slide outside the pocket and find one of seemingly endless wide open receivers.

a.) This is how I see it:

Fish vs. Eagles:

OL<OL (Top 3 OL in the NFL)
RB<RB (I like Gainwell and Swift better than Mostert)
QB<QB (Hurts is more mobile, but Tua may be the better passer)
TE<TE (Goedert wasn't impressive, but still better)
WR>WR (I think Tyreek/Waddle are better than Brown/Smith...but it is very close)
DL<DL (Top 3 DL in the NFL even with an old man Cox)
LB>LB
Secondary<Secondary (I think Slay and Bradshaw are the better CB duo...but Miami might have a better overall secondary)
ST=ST (Wash)

b.) I'd like to see us play a completely turnover free game. I don't care if we lose with Mac & Co. punting all day....I'd like to see a game where we just don't GIVE the opponent anything at all.

c.) Would like to see Onwenu and Strange suit up...and see us get some push off the line to give Rham/EE some room to work with.
Don't disagree but I do like Mostert. Old man Cox made some key plays at the end. Agree, no mistakes please'

Yeah it might if they were just playing man to man with no help. But you KNOW that is not going to happen. Man with help over the top. Double shell zones, and a better overall pass rush than they saw last week. A LITTLE tougher on those two, maybe, but perhaps easier on the TE and #3 (Barrios?) Also I hope they will have many more problems running their offense in the DIN of Gillette.
That’s what the Chargers and Staley, in all of his infinite wisdom, did. The results speak for themselves. You don’t go man to man with this team that much. They’re too explosive. I expect a ton of pattern matching in this game.

b.) I'd like to see us play a completely turnover free game. I don't care if we lose with Mac & Co. punting all day....I'd like to see a game where we just don't GIVE the opponent anything at all.
Bro, I think you would care and so would a lot of us

Simple objective.

Take away Hill.

Sports radio said that the Chargers did not bracket Hill which I find hard to believe.

Clothes line Hill first play across the middle, John Kreese style.

I think the Patriots defensive front is going to win big this game. They definitely have the fire power to make it difficult for Tua and Moestert Sunday night.

The more I think about it, the more I like the matchups.

Tua looked really sharp and decisive in the few clips I saw.
That’s in large part to good protection. Likely a different story in Foxboro.

The guys gotta tell Keion that Wynn was talking **** about his mama and Tua was laughing it up the whole time.
The Longest Yard Waterboy GIF

Every time Wynn sees him he'll hear Deebo's bike bell in the back of his head.
tiny lister friday movie GIF

Clothes line Hill first play across the middle, John Kreese style.

I think the Patriots defensive front is going to win big this game. They definitely have the fire power to make it difficult for Tua and Moestert Sunday night.

The more I think about it, the more I like the matchups.
I agree with this. But who is John Kreese?

I would prefer Ted Hendricks, a clothesliner par excellence for the 1970s Raiders.

While I agree with the multiple coverages approach touted already, also see a lot of zone looks - make the Phish string together 10 play drives versus 1-2 big plays. On offense - can they run the ball? In division matchups are different - what appeared a lock (Chargers ran all day) may not be also true this week. Zeke got the edge with some success last week, I'd look for more attempts outside this coming contest.

Lastly, BB has to trust his kicker. I know the FOTM would've have done the same "he sucks and has lost it" if Ryland had missed the FG as they are now with the "why go for it", but there's an element of agreement in that you can't evaluate if you don't let the kid try. Can one miss kill confidence? Yes. Can one make skyrocket it? He basically did the same thing with Folk over 40 yards last year honestly - either punted or went for it.

28th ranked Patriots take in the 7th rank Dolphins. Sounds so awful...

IMG_6931.jpeg

It’s fake news that Tua has owned the pats. The dolphins have scored 23 PPG and that includes a pick 6 and a fumble 6. Tua’s record is more of a cam, patricia & damien harris fumble stat than his play really.

The pats are one of 3 teams in the NFL (eagles, jets) that can bring multiple waves of starting caliber pass rushers. Austin Jackson vs. Judon & White and Isaiah Wynn vs. Barmore & Wise? I like the pats’ chances.

Offensively, the pats are facing a dolphins team without Ramsey. Their starting CBs are Howard & Apple. Howard hasn’t been the same player in awhile. Their LBs are also suspect & it’s another good matchup to attack the middle of the field.

I’m confident they can pull this one out as long as Strange & Onwenu play. They need them back to run the ball & have confidence using play action IMO.

Simple objective.

Take away Hill.

Sports radio said that the Chargers did not bracket Hill which I find hard to believe.

Im suprised the chargers struggled so much, last year they shut down this offense. As crap of a hc and decision maker as staley is, he usually comes up with much better plans defensively

View attachment 52764

It’s fake news that Tua has owned the pats. The dolphins have scored 23 PPG and that includes a pick 6 and a fumble 6. Tua’s record is more of a cam, patricia & damien harris fumble stat than his play really.

The pats are one of 3 teams in the NFL (eagles, jets) that can bring multiple waves of starting caliber pass rushers. Austin Jackson vs. Judon & White and Isaiah Wynn vs. Barmore & Wise? I like the pats’ chances.

Offensively, the pats are facing a dolphins team without Ramsey. Their starting CBs are Howard & Apple. Howard hasn’t been the same player in awhile. Their LBs are also suspect & it’s another good matchup to attack the middle of the field.

I’m confident they can pull this one out as long as Strange & Onwenu play. They need them back to run the ball & have confidence using play action IMO.
Yeah, has anyone felt like the Fins have owned us the way the Bills have the last couple of years? If we're going to take back the division, we have to start here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back