2020 Salary Cap and CBA Renegotiation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aßßynormal

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Patriots' salary cap loophole set to end in 2020

How does this affect this year, resigning Brady, Free Agents ........ etc.

I see this negotiation as being very 'hot headed' and difficult for both sides to navigate. Anyway, we've got the time to start getting a handle on it.

Who wrote that article? Was it Michel Felger? So, the Patriots try to tie compensation to production as much as possible. What a novel concept?

The solution is that they can’t offer as much in NLTBEs as they do usually in 2020. Or, they’ll throw cap forward with bonus payments and wait to be credited when the LTBEs aren’t earned. It really is an embarrassment to the rest of the NFL how much better Belichick and Kraft are at managing their franchise compared to the rest.

Patriots' salary cap loophole set to end in 2020

How does this affect this year, resigning Brady, Free Agents ........ etc.

I see this negotiation as being very 'hot headed' and difficult for both sides to navigate. Anyway, we've got the time to start getting a handle on it.
I don’t think it’s typically a big deal for the patriots. Last year was out of the ordinary with Brady and gronk making up a big chunk of it. I think it was more of a one off that a strategy.

How much of that “NLTBE loophole” is because important guys were hurt in 2017 and healthy in 2018?

I'm thinking we're going to make sure we are under the cap. Conservative, at least for 2020.
With RKraft presently occupied, it may take longer to figure Brady out. The whole thing (CBA) worries me.

I think Bill's got this and has a plan moving forward.

Sure he does. All this really means is the league figured out an element we’ve been using successfully and ergo it’s being taken away. On to the next diabolical plan!

I expect a lockout in 2020.

Why? A lockout would only happen if the owners are trying to take stuff back from the players and they're not budging -- which is what happened in 2011, after the players won a big share of the pie in 2006. That doesn't seem to be the issue here. This time the players union is talking about getting a higher percentage of revenues than they currently are - trying to get closer to 2006 levels. If anything I'd expect a players' strike more than a lockout. And given the players union history and the financial situation of most NFL players, I would expect any strike to end up like 1987's strike.

With RKraft presently occupied, it may take longer to figure Brady out. The whole thing (CBA) worries me.

Kraft wasn't so occupied this past weekend that he didn't fly out to LA and back with Mr & Mrs Brady. Given the very quiet way their past negotiations have played out and the strength of their relationship I suspect Brady's next deal is for the most part already worked out. Player distrust of the league being what it is, you are correct to worry about the next CBA. We can also expect that it won't run for anywhere near as long as the current one.

A strike is far more likely. Given the way the league has handled itself during the run of this CBA, particularly the way it has used some 'creative' accounting in attempts to diminish the shared funds pool and 345 Park Ave's willingness to use an increasingly very heavy hand, there can't be much left in the way of faith existing within the union.

I agree that a short strike is much more likely than a lockout.

However, the cost to the players would never be made up.

So, sure the players will negotiate for a bit more, an improvement to some of the procedures, improved safety measures, and improved pension benefits. Specifically, they are likely to negotiate for a higher rookie scale, with more guaranteed money, along with higher vet minimums.

But, the bottom line is that losing games loses more money than it gains.

A strike is far more likely. Given the way the league has handled itself during the run of this CBA, particularly the way it has used some 'creative' accounting in attempts to diminish the shared funds pool and 345 Park Ave's willingness to use an increasingly very heavy hand, there can't be much left in the way of faith existing within the union.

But, the bottom line is that losing games loses more money than it gains.

Something the owners have counted on from the very first CBA. If the NFLPA had strong leadership and even a moderate commodium of sense, something very open to debate, they'd already be armed with a significant warchest to carry the lower earning bulk of it's membership through a strike. The short length of career and attendant wages lost in any strike has always been the owner's ultimate cudgel. Of course the union will never match the owner's deep pockets but they don't need to, all they have to do in order to effect change is hold out long enough for the league's broadcast partners to seriously feel the impact. That said, if history is any judge it's unlikely to happen and the point is moot.

Not even worried about 2020....that is two FULL seasons away.

I think Brady is done by then. 2000-2020 is 20 years....and Brady will be 43 by then.....

That being said, I fully expect another lock out with the major sticking point being the Commish's power under article 47. The revenue pie is split fairly right now and the league has made more money than even Kraft expected (he expected a flat cap #).

Nah NFLPA has little to barter and has no backbone. They hate Goodell, but they aren’t playing more games or giving up money to get rid of him.

Article 46 won’t be “a major sticking point” because the rank and file (rightly) won’t care enough about it when push comes to shove to give up any $$ to change it.

Sure, it rankles them, but not enough players get screwed by it to be worth the concessions needed to change it.

I would think the revenue split, rookie wage slotting/length of contracts, a modified marijuana policy, pension and adjustments to the language in the suspension and arbitration process will be fairly high on the players list. I mostly agree with QM when it comes to Article 46 but I do think in so far as the union leadership is concerned they will push back on the commissioner's judge, jury and executioner portion of it. The Brady decision broadened the scope of what the commissioner can do to Banana Republic dictator level and as was shown in the Al Jazeera interviews Goodell has shown he is not to be trusted when it comes to abuse of power. It may not be a hill the rank and file will choose to die on but the union leadership wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't go after it hard.

I've stopped hearing about games 17 and 18. Is that owner position dead? Finally, this 'strike' or 'lockout' will occur in an election adding another complication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST