PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2019 NE CAP SPACE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then why was Brady ok making 15M in 2017 (18th highest) & 2018 (21st highest) even in 2016 he was only 12th highest what has changed for brady since then
Shouldn’t he make more than
Tyrod Taylor?

Huh? Brady threw 581 passes in 2017 and 570 in 2018.
Why would he complain about less than 1 fewer pass per game.
Plus why would brady who had never complained about anything have complaint as the standard for guessing that he wants to take a paycut?
because those numbers are deceiving he was on pace for around 600 attempts half way thru the season and some of the categories for his incentives were close like he only needed 250 yards and 5 TD's to hit top 5 in both and now that offenses are more pass happy especially last year the average for the top 10 in attempts for 2018 was 600 vs 556 in 2017 and brady went from 1st in 2017 to 9th in 2018 my point was if he is more concerned about helping the pats field a better team vs making the most money.

How many other off seasons can people remember the Pats lost so many FA bids by so little? It's happened, but not this many times.

This falsely assumes that free agency negotiations are always public. There's no way for anyone who doesn't work for the Patriots front office to answer your question.

Shouldn’t he make more than
Tyrod Taylor?
we'll Tyrod Taylors only making 5.5 this year but that brings me back to the same point even if brady had hit all of his incentives he still would have only moved up to 16th behind cam so if he was ok with it last year why wouldnt he be ok with it this year

because those numbers are deceiving he was on pace for around 600 attempts half way thru the season and some of the categories for his incentives were close like he only needed 250 yards and 5 TD's to hit top 5 in both and now that offenses are more pass happy especially last year the average for the top 10 in attempts for 2018 was 600 vs 556 in 2017 and brady went from 1st in 2017 to 9th in 2018 my point was if he is more concerned about helping the pats field a better team vs making the most money.
He is always on a pace to throw more passes when the weather is good.

2017 1st 8 games 309 att
Last 8. 272 att

2018. 1st. 8. 290
Last 8. 281

He actually threw more over the second half of 18 than 17.

Your facts are wrong but I’m not even sure why this matters.
You are stating that Brady should accept about 30% less per year than what he agreed to in 2016 and get zero upfront dollars while qb salaries are rising and he has dominated the league since that contract.

we'll Tyrod Taylors only making 5.5 this year but that brings me back to the same point even if brady had hit all of his incentives he still would have only moved up to 16th behind cam so if he was ok with it last year why wouldnt he be ok with it this year
You are mixing up cash per year with contract.
If a whole signs a 5 year deal
And gets a 200 mill signing bonus and 1mill a year salaries is he a 1 mill QBs in year 2?

I’m not talking about Taylor’s 2019 contract ads backup I’m talking about the last contract he signed as a quasi starter of 2 years 31 mill.

I’m gonna drop out of this conversation now because it seems like it’s going to go nowhere.

He is always on a pace to throw more passes when the weather is good.

2017 1st 8 games 309 att
Last 8. 272 att

2018. 1st. 8. 290
Last 8. 281

He actually threw more over the second half of 18 than 17.

Your facts are wrong but I’m not even sure why this matters.
You are stating that Brady should accept about 30% less per year than what he agreed to in 2016 and get zero upfront dollars while qb salaries are rising and he has dominated the league since that contract.
my point in the stats was just to say if Brady was more concerned about money he would have been looking to throw more instead of hand the ball off to Burkhead and Michel to hit his incentives unlike any other positions QB's have the ability dictate if they can hit incentives especially volume stats like TD's and yardage, my point was that I believe Brady cares more about winning then he does about money, Ok fine brady gets a bump and makes 20 instead of 15 for his final 3 seasons thats not even in the same zip code as 3/100 which was ultimately my point

my point in the stats was just to say if Brady was more concerned about money he would have been looking to throw more instead of hand the ball off to Burkhead and Michel to hit his incentives unlike any other positions QB's have the ability dictate if they can hit incentives especially volume stats like TD's and yardage, my point was that I believe Brady cares more about winning then he does about money, Ok fine brady gets a bump and makes 20 instead of 15 for his final 3 seasons thats not even in the same zip code as 3/100 which was ultimately my point
Wait. I can’t let that go unanswered.
You are saying that a guy who wants to be paid fairly would go against the teams best interst to gain stats and incentives? That Tom Brady would? And if he wouldn’t that means he is proving he wants to take a 30% paycut on an extension and get zero money up front?
Why not just sign for the vet minimum?

Brady would do it because he would get to call the shots in regards to the end of his career, which I assume is his biggest need with guaranteed base and a no-trade he could play until he was 45 without having to worry about being cut or traded.

and re-deferred this year cap hit for Brady includes 7M prorated signing bonus and a 5M restructure bonus so you take the 12 mil and dived it by 4 (this year plus the added 3) thats correct right.

Anyways that would free up 9M this year
Btw, you have a misconception here.
The 12 million remaining unamorized signing bonus cannot be spread further than this year.

So if you add 3 years at 15 mill salaries and keep his 2019 salary at 14 mill his cap number will not change at all byvthd extension.
The only way to reduce the 19 cap is to convert salary to signing bonus. The 12 mill hits this year and nothing can change that.

You are mixing up cash per year with contract.
If a whole signs a 5 year deal
And gets a 200 mill signing bonus and 1mill a year salaries is he a 1 mill QBs in year 2?

I’m not talking about Taylor’s 2019 contract ads backup I’m talking about the last contract he signed as a quasi starter of 2 years 31 mill.
I'm just taking the average for all of the qbs meaning there total money/ total years and last year brady was 21st even if he hit all of his incentives he would have been 16th, so my point was if he was ok being paid the 16th highest QB last year why wouldnt he be ok being the 16th highest qb this year I know your getting hung up on the 15M just use 20.5M its still the same point I should have used 20.5 in the first place because Brady probably thought he would hit all the incentives and therefore would have been perfectly happy with 20.5 no (paycut) no my point in all of this is if brady was ok being the 16th highest paid qb last year why would that all of sudden change this year and that 3/60 and 3/100 arnt in the same ballpark thats all I have been trying to say

List of 2018 QB Average Salary

1 Aaron Rodgers $33,500,000
2 Matt Ryan $30,000,000
3 Kirk Cousins $28,000,000
4 Jimmy Garoppolo $27,500,000
5 Matthew Stafford $27,000,000
6 Drew Brees $25,000,000
6 Derek Carr $25,000,000
8 Andrew Luck $24,594,000
9 Alex Smith $23,500,000
10 Joe Flacco $22,133,333
11 Russell Wilson $21,900,000
12 Ben Roethlisberger $21,850,000
13 Eli Manning $21,000,000
14 Philip Rivers $20,812,500
15 Cam Newton $20,760,000
16 Tom Brady $20,500,000 (with LTBE incentives) Brady actually make $15,000,000

This falsely assumes that free agency negotiations are always public. There's no way for anyone who doesn't work for the Patriots front office to answer your question.

Either you don't believe the media reports or you think their highest bid so far is 5 million guaranteed, because that's the highest FA (non 2018 team member) signing.

So they lost 100% of those higher priced bids. Was there a year with a higher percentage than that?

Btw, you have a misconception here.
The 12 million remaining unamorized signing bonus cannot be spread further than this year.

So if you add 3 years at 15 mill salaries and keep his 2019 salary at 14 mill his cap number will not change at all byvthd extension.
The only way to reduce the 19 cap is to convert salary to signing bonus. The 12 mill hits this year and nothing can change that.
Thanks for correcting that I thought once a player was extended that all of the remaining unamorized signing bonus spread through the whole new deal if that not the case this whole thing is a mute point anyway lol

Either you don't believe the media reports or you think their highest bid so far is 5 million guaranteed, because that's the highest FA (non 2018 team member) signing.

So they lost 100% of those higher priced bids. Was there a year with a higher percentage than that?

As I said, no way to know.

I'm just taking the average for all of the qbs meaning there total money/ total years and last year brady was 21st even if he hit all of his incentives he would have been 16th, so my point was if he was ok being paid the 16th highest QB last year why wouldnt he be ok being the 16th highest qb this year I know your getting hung up on the 15M just use 20.5M its still the same point I should have used 20.5 in the first place because Brady probably thought he would hit all the incentives and therefore would have been perfectly happy with 20.5 no (paycut) no my point in all of this is if brady was ok being the 16th highest paid qb last year why would that all of sudden change this year and that 3/60 and 3/100 arnt in the same ballpark thats all I have been trying to say
No. The last contract Brady signed was a 2 year 41 million extension in 2016 extending his contract for 18 and 19.
He “agreed to play” for 20.5 million a year.
Last year however it materialized the team offered him a potential 5 mill raise.
You are asking him to, 3 years later after 3 SBs and 2 tiltes, to reduce what he is willing to sign from 20.5 million per year to 15 million per year.
Further you are asking the totally unprecedented detail that he extends his contract 3 years with ZERO MONEY UP FRONT.
You are describing the kind of contract Miami may have offered tannehill not what the GOAT should be asked to be paid.
If that’s all the patriots want to offer Brady will be a free agent next year.

List of 2018 QB Average Salary

1 Aaron Rodgers $33,500,000
2 Matt Ryan $30,000,000
3 Kirk Cousins $28,000,000
4 Jimmy Garoppolo $27,500,000
5 Matthew Stafford $27,000,000
6 Drew Brees $25,000,000
6 Derek Carr $25,000,000
8 Andrew Luck $24,594,000
9 Alex Smith $23,500,000
10 Joe Flacco $22,133,333
11 Russell Wilson $21,900,000
12 Ben Roethlisberger $21,850,000
13 Eli Manning $21,000,000
14 Philip Rivers $20,812,500
15 Cam Newton $20,760,000
16 Tom Brady $20,500,000 (with LTBE incentives) Brady actually make $15,000,000
How many of those contracts were signed prior to 2016? What you are showing is how underpaid Brady has become. Your solution is a 30% paycut thru 2022. With no money up front.

20.5 mill is not with any incentives. It’s his extension of 2 years for 41 mill signed in 2016.

No. The last contract Brady signed was a 2 year 41 million extension in 2016 extending his contract for 18 and 19.
He “agreed to play” for 20.5 million a year.
Last year however it materialized the team offered him a potential 5 mill raise.
You are asking him to, 3 years later after 3 SBs and 2 tiltes, to reduce what he is willing to sign from 20.5 million per year to 15 million per year.
Further you are asking the totally unprecedented detail that he extends his contract 3 years with ZERO MONEY UP FRONT.
You are describing the kind of contract Miami may have offered tannehill not what the GOAT should be asked to be paid.
If that’s all the patriots want to offer Brady will be a free agent next year.

How many of those contracts were signed prior to 2016? What you are showing is how underpaid Brady has become. Your solution is a 30% paycut thru 2022. With no money up front.

20.5 mill is not with any incentives. It’s his extension of 2 years for 41 mill signed in 2016.
Brady only made 15 Million last year not 20.5 when he restructured in 2018 he moved 5M to incentives and he hit none of them

If you are answering my question, I suggest you take a math class.

I am answering your earlier question. I ignored your latter question because it's moving the goalposts, and incidentally the Patriots didn't sign anyone for over $5 million a year last year either. You have no way of knowing how many "higher priced" free agents they tried to sign last year, so you have no way of knowing if this year is in any way unusual.

Thats where I was getting the 15 Mil in the first place but I conceded that brady probably thought he would hit all 5 so last year Brady was "Happy" making 20.5 M and my whole point was if Brady was happy last year and he had to have been because he's the one that restructured his contract in August 2018 (7 months ago) that he would be "Happy" making that this year

Brady only made 15 Million last year not 20.5 when he restructured in 2018 he moved 5M to incentives and he hit none of them

You are just ignoring 7m of the signing bonus. His cap hit is the only relevant thing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes