PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2016 Training Camp - Day 13 (8-14-16)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know just how briefly it was? I can't remember. Was it one/two preseason games? I can't imagine him making it any further than that, but I could be wrong. That's a lot of hype over the past year with very little to go on, along with improved competition at the position of CB.

I'm thinking that we're seeing another case of an overhyped player on the forum. Rarely has a player been redshirted and then come back for a productive season. I can't even remember the last player to be honest, at least on this team. I want to think maybe one of the early round TE picks (Watson or Graham), but even then I believe they played in a couple of games during their rookie season.
As far as I remember he flashed in a few practices and in the GB game, which I believe was the first game (can't look it up at the moment), so you could be right about him being overhyped. I like that he's a bigger corner. I think we could benefit from that. But yeah, he has not been very good.

Trey would probably be a decent example of a redshirt who came back to build on his production, granted it was only one preseason game so far.

As far as I remember he flashed in a few practices and in the GB game, which I believe was the first game (can't look it up at the moment), so you could be right about him being overhyped. I like that he's a bigger corner. I think we could benefit from that. But yeah, he has not been very good.

Trey would probably be a decent example of a redshirt who came back to build on his production, granted it was only one preseason game so far.
It was first preseason game:(

It was first preseason game:(
Yeah, I thought so. I'm still hoping we see something as he gets more comfortable since he was away from actual football on the field for a while, though. We'll see. What he showed, albeit brief, did look pretty good. But J. Jones has created a giant gap and that 5th spot is simply his to lose at this point.

Bummed that Cooper is still out. I watched him in AZ as a rookie in pre-seasona nd he looked like you'd expect from so high a first round pick.

He's never recovered from that broken leg, and the coaches in AZ really didn't "get" him and seemed to psyche him out more than up.

Was (am) hoping for good things from him, but damn, he's got to get on the field!

It's pretty easy to determine it based on practice reports, Jones is ahead of every non-lock at CB. Which if holds true throughout camp it would make him a lock
Gotcha. If he continues to play well throughout camp he'll make the team like any other player, and he's also running out in front for the last CB spot after one preseason game.

I don't think anyone would dispute that, but it's hardly anything close to the definition of a "lock," which was the point @AndyJohnson made that I agreed with.

I fear that this may actually be one of those situations where you think they're all good because they look so close, but they're all just similarly mediocre. Behind Butler and Ryan (who should not be considered money in the bank yet), there's a ton of wild cards and nothing to rely on. They could all easily not pan out. They could also easily end up as a good group, but I'm just not feeling that overjoyed about the current state of the CBs.

I also share this exact sentiment about this group of WR and G's, which people seem less optimistic about (actually, the WR group gets about as much love as the CBs).
I'm optimistic that the level of competition is high enough to provide a good measure. Interesting that there are three UDFA rookie CBs with two of them looking competitive for a roster slot. J. Jones and now LeBlanc have showed something, not in comparison with the rest of the CBs but against the receivers. LeBlanc's INT was definitely a highlight. It's tough to tell if they were undrafted because they're flawed or just because nobody really knew what they could do. We've already seen with Butler that it's possible for an undrafted rookie CB to be the real deal. Would be amazing if that lightening struck twice, or maybe even three times if both JJones and LeBlanc make the cut...

OT: Any chance BB can sign Usain Bolt as the deep threat?:p

Is it just me that he has a little bit of similarity to Rand?
Just put him in there as a flanker, and get him the ball and get out of the way.

They won't catch him.

We need to put SOME points on the board these first few games; the defense can't do it all by themselves...

Little OT, but I just saw Dom Easley make a very explosive play in the backfield in the Rams preseason game. Really wish it would've worked with him.. :mad:

Little OT, but I just saw Dom Easley make a very explosive play in the backfield in the Rams preseason game. Really wish it would've worked with him.. :mad:
iirc he showed that here. once in a while.

apparently he's a head case. maybe getting dumped by the Pats was a wake-up call he needed. for his sake let's hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News