PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 NFL Mock Drafts

I hadn't really watched Grady Jarrett before now but have just done so and all I can say is wow! How well he fits is a matter for discussion but I'm struggling to see how Easley is better than Jarrett. His quickness is incredible and I'm just starting to get intrigued by how BB could use him.

As an example of his quickness, just check out the first play on the highlight tape. Sure he's unblocked, but he moves like a linebacker getting to the RB.

I hadn't really watched Grady Jarrett before now but have just done so and all I can say is wow! How well he fits is a matter for discussion but I'm struggling to see how Easley is better than Jarrett. His quickness is incredible and I'm just starting to get intrigued by how BB could use him.

Easley is in a totally different league from Jarrett IMO, in terms of his schematic versatility and ability to attack from different gaps. Plus he's already on the roster and has a year in the system. But Jarrett seems like a 1-gap attacking NT in the Jay/Jeremiah Ratliff mode. He's a fire hydrant with a motor, and he will be a good player in the NFL, but I just don't see the fit at all.

This is a quick what I think might happen, not what I want to happen mock. No trades.

#32 Byron Jones, CB, UConn

I think it comes down to Jones or Peters if he's still on the board. Jones' character and athleticism ensure he's the pick.

#64 Tre Jackson, OG, FSU

The Patriots spoke to him at the combine and have shown interest in the FSU OL. It's pretty clear that they're targeting a guard in the draft - I don't think there's been any contact with guards in FA except maybe Dan Connolly.

#96 Grady Jarrett, DL, Clemson

During the season last year I commented on the fact that I thought Dominique Easley was being misused as a run defender when his ideal skill set was to burst into the offensive backfield without worrying about gap integrity and the like. Grady Jarrett is the disciplined, run defending version of Easley. With Branch and Siliga providing the 2-gap options, Jarrett and Easley can provide a run or pass defending option from the 3-tech position.

#97 Mike Davis, RB, S Carolina

Not convinced about this pick but he was one we spoke too at the combine. Could see him taking Jonas Gray's spot on the roster with Lewis, Cadet, Gaffney and White.

#101 Jake Ryan, LB, Michigan

BB has spoken to a couple of linebackers in FA so there's a clear need. Whilst I'd love to put Heeney here, at only 231lbs he doesn't really fit the BB mould. Ryan just about makes it at 240. In almost every other way though, Jake Ryan screams potential Patriot in terms of leadership, football intelligence and effort.

#131 Craig Mager, CB, Texas St.

Wanted to go with Nick Marshall but Mager wins because he's so physical. He reminds me of a not quite so good Kyle Fuller

#173 Darren Waller, WR, Georgia Tech

BB's constant search for that big outside threat. Waller is a threat to Tim Wright's position on the team and yet he has the athleticism to play WR too with sub 4.5 speed. This years Mark Harrison type.

#219 Kristjan Sokoli, DL, Buffalo

Have no reason to predict this guy to the Pats but I wanted to put him here because this guy is one of the most athletic prospects available; he put up JJ Watt numbers at his pro day.

#252 Cassius Sendish, S, Kansas

He'll be a permanent fixture in my mock.

Aside from the Sokoli and Mager picks, I think there's a reasonable argument to justify each of the above being a BB pick. Like most, give me Jones-Hardison-Marpet as a preference but that just seems to good to be true. This seems more "real".

One more note on Jarrett. Whilst it's still very early, I just want to note that BB attended the clemson and Auburn pro days and Patriot scouts showed some interest in Nunez-Roches. He, Jarrett (Clemson) and Gabe Wright (Auburn) are similar prospects.

I wouldn't complain about that draft. If we get a CB at 32, I wonder if we'd trade up for a DT in Round 2. Especially, if C. Davis falls into the 40's. I think we might be able to get a guard at 97 or 102.

I wouldn't complain about that draft. If we get a CB at 32, I wonder if we'd trade up for a DT in Round 2. Especially, if C. Davis falls into the 40's. I think we might be able to get a guard at 97 or 102.

I can not see bb trading up in round two.

But I can see him trading out of round one to get an additional second rounder.

I can not see bb trading up in round two.

But I can see him trading out of round one to get an additional second rounder.

That's always a possibility with BB. But, with the bunch of picks from 96-102, I can't see us using them all. No sense in trading them into next year for extra picks. We don't have depth issues. And, we'll have a bundle of comp picks next year.

I'm thinking more and more that they'll go DT early and I think it's possible that Tre Jackson falls close to 96 so I wouldn't discount it. But that was a mock without trades and I had to be reasonably honest to the rankings. I fell a little in love with Jarrett last night but if they are going for a 2nd round DT I think Davis is the best option. I have become a little more comfortable with Phillips and Goldman though.

Easley is in a totally different league from Jarrett IMO, in terms of his schematic versatility and ability to attack from different gaps. Plus he's already on the roster and has a year in the system. But Jarrett seems like a 1-gap attacking NT in the Jay/Jeremiah Ratliff mode. He's a fire hydrant with a motor, and he will be a good player in the NFL, but I just don't see the fit at all.

They're both very similar in size and rely on their quickness at the snap. Just because they played different collegiate positions doesn't necessarily make them different players. Jarrett could easily play the 3-tech in my opinion. I like them both but then I was never as high on Easley as you. They'd have similar grades for me.

I like them both but then I was never as high on Easley as you. They'd have similar grades for me.

I figured that out. We differ on this one.

There are a lot of players with decent knees who would be better than Easley. Huge whiff on that one Bill.

The guy from Ohio State is his equivalent in size, quickness and everything IMO.

There are a lot of players with decent knees who would be better than Easley. Huge whiff on that one Bill.

The guy from Ohio State is his equivalent in size, quickness and everything IMO.

You aren't really judging someone based upon a rookie year are you? Or were you calling Jamie Collins a huge whiff too?

You aren't really judging someone based upon a rookie year are you? Or were you calling Jamie Collins a huge whiff too?

Wouldn't be the first. :D

No I didn't call Collins a whiff.

I like to give them the benefit of the doubt. Small DT, bad knees, then yeah, I'm calling reach. The fact that he did nothing his rookie year just confirms it.

No I didn't call Collins a whiff.

I like to give them the benefit of the doubt. Small DT, bad knees, then yeah, I'm calling reach. The fact that he did nothing his rookie year just confirms it.

It only confirmed that a rookie took some time to acclimatise to the NFL. Beyond that, we shall see.

It doesn't confirm anything except maybe your biased opinion. Give him a full offseason and training camp at close to 100% and then you can pass judgement.

Trade #32 to the Eagles for #52, #84, and #114
Trade #96 and #102 to the Jaguars for #67
Trade #84 and #132 to the Rams for #72

#52-Byron Jones, CB
#64-Ali Marpet, OL
#67-Marcus Hardison, DL
#72-Jay Ajayi, RB
#97-Eric Rowe, CB
#114-Henry Anderson, DL
#178-Robert, Myers, OL
#218-DeAndre Smelter, WR
#224-Ellis McCarthy, DL

Last edited:

#52-Byron Jones, CB
#64-Ali Marpet, OL
#67-Marcus Hardison, DL
#72-Jay Ajayi, RB
#97-Eric Rowe, CB
#178-Henry Anderson, DL
#218-DeAndre Smelter, WR
#224-Ellis McCarthy, DL

What happened to #114?

I'm fine with that if Marcus Peters is off the board at #32. I doubt Jay Ajayi lasts to #72, Henry Anderson lasts to #178, and McCarthy seems to have worked himself into UDFA territory, but those are nit picks.

I'd be quite happy with:

#32 - Marcus Peters, CB
#64 - Jay Ajayi, RB; David Johnson would do quite nicely as an alternative
#67 - Ali Marpet, OL
#80 or so (trading up #96 + 132) - Marcus Hardison, DL
#97 - Eric Rowe, CB
#218 - DeAndre Smelter, WR
#224 - Max Valles, EDGE or Deon Simon, DT

I'd love to find a way to squeeze in another OL, Ben Heeney, and Leterrius Walton, but that would be a darn fine start.

What happened to #114?

I'm fine with that if Marcus Peters is off the board at #32. I doubt Jay Ajayi lasts to #72, Henry Anderson lasts to #178, and McCarthy seems to have worked himself into UDFA territory, but those are nit picks.

I'd be quite happy with:

#32 - Marcus Peters, CB
#64 - Jay Ajayi, RB; David Johnson would do quite nicely as an alternative
#67 - Ali Marpet, OL
#80 or so (trading up #96 + 132) - Marcus Hardison, DL
#97 - Eric Rowe, CB
#218 - DeAndre Smelter, WR
#224 - Max Valles, EDGE or Deon Simon, DT

I'd love to find a way to squeeze in another OL, Ben Heeney, and Leterrius Walton, but that would be a darn fine start.
That was my bad, #114 was Henry Anderson, and #178 is Robert Myers

I think Ajayi will be there at #72. RBs do not go early in drafts over the past few years, I can see a few such as Gurley and Gordon but the 8th pick in the third round is a good spot for a player like Ajayi.

@mayoclinic I am not a big fan of Peters, he is a head case who has a real hard time controlling his emotions on the field, it impacts his play and it happens often. Byron Jones has the size and talent to be a legitimate #1 CB.

#52-Byron Jones, CB
#64-Ali Marpet, OL
#67-Marcus Hardison, DL
#72-Jay Ajayi, RB
#97-Eric Rowe, CB
#114-Henry Anderson, DL
#178-Robert, Myers, OL
#218-DeAndre Smelter, WR
#224-Ellis McCarthy, DL

If Byron Jones runs sub 4.50, I very much doubt he lasts to 52. I really like your first 3 picks although I think we're a little exposed at LG in 2015, I'm less excited by the rest aside from Smelter. I've only seen the one game so far and wasn't as impressed by Rowe as Mayo and you are. Jones, Marpet, Harrison and Smelter are very nice picks to the extent that whilst I'm unexcited by the other picks, with those four, I don't really care.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back