PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 NFL Mock Drafts

Which draft do you guys like better? There could be slight trades up for a pick or two. Nothing out of the ordinary though.

Draft A
Eddie Goldman - DT - Florida St
Eli Marpet - G - Hobart
Josh Shaw - CB - USC

Draft B
Cam Erving - G - FSU
Marcus Hardison - DT - Arizona St
Josh Shaw - CB - USC

Draft C
Marcus Peters - CB - Washington
Donovan Smith - OL - PSU

I like Draft B for the following reasons:
a. Cam can play all positions well on the OL
b. Marcus is very athletic and can play all along the DL , and
c. Josh can be very good and I believe has fewer issues than Marcus.

Which draft do you guys like better? There could be slight trades up for a pick or two. Nothing out of the ordinary though.

Draft A
Eddie Goldman - DT - Florida St
Eli Marpet - G - Hobart
Josh Shaw - CB - USC

Draft B
Cam Erving - G - FSU
Josh Shaw - CB - USC

Draft C
Marcus Peters - CB - Washington
Donovan Smith - OL - PSU

I too choose B. Obviously I'm enamoured with Hardison and then I rate Erving quite a bit higher than Smith whereas I'm not convinced there's as much difference between Peters and Shaw.

Stole Brady6 trade...

Trade #32 to the 49ers for #46 and #79
Trade #96 and #102 to the Rams for #72

#46- AJ Cann , OG, South Carolina
#64-Byron Jones, CB, UConn
#72-David Johnson, RB, Northern Iowa
#79-Marcus Hardison, DL, Arizona State
#97-Ronald Darby, CB, Florida State
#132-Kenny Bell, WR, Nebraska
#178-Jeremiah Poutasi, OT/OG, Utah
#215-Chris Hackett, Safety, TCU
#217-DeAndre Smelter, WR, Georgia Tech

Stole Brady6 trade...

Trade #32 to the 49ers for #46 and #79
Trade #96 and #102 to the Rams for #72

#46- AJ Cann , OG, South Carolina
#64-Byron Jones, CB, UConn
#72-David Johnson, RB, Northern Iowa
#79-Marcus Hardison, DL, Arizona State
#97-Ronald Darby, CB, Florida State
#132-Kenny Bell, WR, Nebraska
#178-Jeremiah Poutasi, OT/OG, Utah
#215-Chris Hackett, Safety, TCU
#217-DeAndre Smelter, WR, Georgia Tech

Nice mock:

• Would be fine with Cann but there are others I prefer
  • Love the Byron Jones pick but I think he'll go closer to 32 than to 64 unfortunately.
  • David Johnson and Marcus Hardison are two excellent picks.
  • Really like 4 of your next 5 but I'm not thrilled by Hackett.
I would take this if this was how things looked at the end of May 2nd.

Nice mock:

• Would be fine with Cann but there are others I prefer
  • Love the Byron Jones pick but I think he'll go closer to 32 than to 64 unfortunately.
  • David Johnson and Marcus Hardison are two excellent picks.
  • Really like 4 of your next 5 but I'm not thrilled by Hackett.
I would take this if this was how things looked at the end of May 2nd.

Im digging this mock also.
If we could somehow come out of this draft with both Jones & Darby, I think we'd actually be in a better place then we would have been if we would have retained Revis & Browner. Yes, you can't compare Jones & Darby to #24 & #39 just yet, but in the not so long run, it would be much better for the team in almost every single way. I think Darby is very underrated ! The fact alone that you can't find any footage, speaks volumes to his ability to shut his matchup down. Very rarely did opposing QB's try to test him. He also had the privilege of going up against some very tuff competition in his time at FSU, which I think further validates his skill set.
Like I mentioned, its very hard to find good analyst of him, but here's one I found on Reddit, which does a very good job of breaking his play down. No, this isn't from a credited analyst, but the guy makes a lot of valid points. I don't agree with him being top 15 pick, but I think that he will go before the end of the second round, more than likely by the mid second. If we were somehow able to get the Jets second round pick, id be fully content with going to Jones at 32, and using the Jets second on Darby. Now I doubt that we're going to actually get that, but yeah. Heres that report.

"I just wrote this whole thing, and i lost it all so it might not be as good as it was before. Excuse me if it is sucks, cause i wrote a lot and frankly I am pretty pissed off.

Ronald Darby, CB for FSU stands at 5'10-5'11 weighing in at 190-200. The junior track star from Maryland runs a mid to low 4.3. Lets get into the specifics of his game.

Man Coverage: Darby does not play a lot of press, but has improved that facet of his game. Darby has the combination of footwork, fluidity in his hips, and speed to run with any wide receiver in the country. If he is beat off the line, he has the speed to recover and make a play on the ball. I would go as far to say that when in man coverage there is not a better corner in the country.He just shuts down receivers, and really never gets thrown at but 2-3 times a game at most. Ex:

In the video, he is lined up against Philip Dorsett, speedy WR for Miami (who will likely run a 4.3 also). Dorsett beats Darby off the line, but with a second of hesitation from the QB, and Darby recovering he catches Dorset, then knocks the ball away.

In regards to his press coverage skills, he unfortunately does not have the size to really affect a receivers route, but with his man coverage skills it does not hurt. Think about Deon Sanders, not saying Darby is on that level obviously just an idea, Sanders did not need press coverage to shut down a corner, he used his speed, footwork and hips to achieve that.

Grade: A+

Zone Coverage: Darby does not have a lot of footage on the internet I could find, since he is thrown at so little. Although from the little bit of footage I could find, and my running knowledge of FSU players and what I have seen during games is this it is a mixed bag. Darby plays zone conservatively, which is a good and bad thing. He keeps the play in front of him, and prevents big plays. On the other side of that, is that big play factor you will need every once in a while. He would rather give up the 5 yard catch, then potentially whiff on the pass and give up a big gain. ex.

Grade: B+

Physicality: This is an area I would love to see him improve on, getting up in the receivers face and really jamming him up at the line. Or when there is a jump ball, like when Davante Parker got that long gain against him in the Louisville (granted it was blatant offensive pass interference) but you get the point, he was out physicalled. Boxed out if you will.

Grade: C

Tackling: Kind of piggy backing off the last section, he puts himself in position to make tackles but is not going to blow anyone up by any means. He makes good form tackles so he has that going for him

ex:

In this example, Sammy Watkins hits open field, and if not for Darby making the form tackle, it would have been a touchdown.

Grade: B-

Athleticism: This section is two fold, I'm going to talk about his speed, and quickness, but also his explosion with his legs in terms of jumping and the such. His speed and quickness, he can run with anyone in the country. He beat Sammy Watkins in track coming out of highschool if my memory serves me well. Also he has been timed at a 4.31 so he is elite in that regard. Where he loses is every thing else, jumping he is average for a prospect, as well as his strength which could be cause for concern.

Grade: A-

Draft Projection top 15 draft pick. Every year I have a prediction for an FSU player, mine is that Darby will be the first CB taken if he declares. I have not been wrong in 5 years in those predictions. No other corner shuts down their receivers like Darby. In 2013, which he was nursing a hamstring all season for, he was targeted a ridiculously low amount, ~22 times if I'm not mistaken and was caught on 9 times. ALL SEASON. show me another corner that is putting up stats like that, there is not one. For the 1/3 of 2013 he was not targeted a singular time. Once the scouts, and GMs see his tape you can rest assured they will come to the same conclusions as I."

I haven't done a mock since before the combine so it's time for another.

Assumption

1. They sign Pierre Thomas
2. Vince Wilfork goes elsewhere

Mock Draft

32 **Trade**

trade 32 to Minnesota for 45, 110, 136

45. Byron Jones, CB, Connecticut 0r PJ Williams, CB, FSU

I really like the potential his athleticism suggests and his ball skills. I think there's a deep well of untapped upside in Byron Jones. However, I think his stock will rise and if he's not available, PJ Williams is someone whose experience playing press in a sophisticated defense like Florida State's means that he can be an early starter for us. Williams lacks some deep speed but he looks very explosive on tape as well as having ideal size.

Trade 64, 96, 131 for Eagles' 52

52. Jake Fisher, OL, Oregon

Jake Fisher has Nate Solder like athleticism and wowed at his pro day. draft him, plug him in a LG and have him as insurance should Nate Solder leave for a new contract elsewhere. If Solder stays, then Fisher can be Vollmer's long-term replacement or plays LG for a football generation.

97. Marcus Hardison, DL, Arizona State or Rakeem Nunez-Roches, DT, Southern Miss

The ideal combination and speed and athleticism. A bigger Sheldon Richardson, Hardison provides abilities in run stopping but can get after the QB. Helps in situations where the Patriots only rush 3 or 4. If he's not there then Rakeem Nunez-Roches would be the pick. He's more of an out and out 3-tech but he has an engine that doesn't quit. The Patriots have shown some interest in him.

101. Ben Heeney, LB, Kansas

A quick explosive linebacker who always puts himself in position to make plays. Should be an outstanding special teamer that backs up the big three.

110. Nick Marshall, CB, Auburn

Marshall is a developmental CB with ideal size to pay press-man on the outside. He also has the athleticism to play on special teams and would be a no 3 QB and scout team QB. Could also project at safety if he doesn't work out at CB.

136. Leterrius Walton, DL, Central Michigan

At 6-5, 319lbs, Wilton could be the future Alan Branch. He has excellent size and is athletic enough to pressure the pocket. He really looks the part and every report I've seen on him suggests he's an ascending talent.

175. Shaq Mason, OL, Georgia Tech

Reminds me of Jonathan Cooper in his ability to be athletic at the second and third levels, albeit without Cooper's size - he's similar in size to Ryan Wendell. Mason is also a tremendous technician as a run blocker. He was worked out at his pro day by Dante Scarnecchia and many project him as a future centre. Wendell's future replacement.

218. Shaquille Riddick, EDGE, West Virginia

Showcased outstanding athleticism at his pro day, particularly with a 6.7 3-cone and a 1.57 10 split. I see him as a situational pass rusher or an SLB.

250. Cassius Sendish, S, Kansas

My hunch pick. A leader in the defensive backfield at Kansas and a very smart footballer, Sendish plays with excellent instincts, something I like from safeties.

It's hard to narrow down Byron Jones' and Harrison's stock which is why I've offered alternatives to them both. Two other names I like as potential Patriots are Auburn's RB Corey Grant and Auburn's DT Angelo Blackson who is more of a NT than Leterrius Walton. Walton is the better all-round DT though.

@HawaiianPatsfan

I haven't had the chance to look at Darby yet. I'm looking forward to doing so now. I'm a big fan of PJ Williams though.

Assumption

Mock Draft

32 **Trade**

I really like the potential his athleticism suggests and his ball skills. I think there's a deep well of untapped upside in Byron Jones. However, I think his stock will rise and if he's not available, PJ Williams is someone whose experience playing press in a sophisticated defense like Florida State's means that he can be an early starter for us. Williams lacks some deep speed but he looks very explosive on tape as well as having ideal size.

Jake Fisher has Nate Solder like athleticism and wowed at his pro day. draft him, plug him in a LG and have him as insurance should Nate Solder leave for a new contract elsewhere. If Solder stays, then Fisher can be Vollmer's long-term replacement or plays LG for a football generation.

97. Marcus Hardison, DL, Arizona State

The ideal combination and speed and athleticism. A bigger Sheldon Richardson, Hardison provides abilities in run stopping but can get after the QB. Helps in situations where the Patriots only rush 3 or 4. If he's not there then Rakeem Nunez-Roches would be the pick. He's more of an out and out 3-tech but he has an engine that doesn't quit. The Patriots have shown some interest in him.

A quick explosive linebacker who always puts himself in position to make plays. Should be an outstanding special teamer that backs up the big three.

Marshall is a developmental CB with ideal size to pay press-man on the outside. He also has the athleticism to play on special teams and would be a no 3 QB and scout team QB. Could also project at safety if he doesn't work out at CB.

At 6-5, 319lbs, Wilton could be the future Alan Branch. He has excellent size and is athletic enough to pressure the pocket. He really looks the part and every report I've seen on him suggests he's an ascending talent.

Reminds me of Jonathan Cooper in his ability to be athletic at the second and third levels, albeit without Cooper's size - he's similar in size to Ryan Wendell. Mason is also a tremendous technician as a run blocker. He was worked out at his pro day by Dante Scarnecchia and many project him as a future centre. Wendell's future replacement.

Showcased outstanding athleticism at his pro day, particularly with a 6.7 3-cone and a 1.57 10 split. I see him as a situational pass rusher or an SLB.

My hunch pick. A leader in the defensive backfield at Kansas and a very smart footballer, Sendish plays with excellent instincts, something I like from safeties.

It's hard to narrow down Byron Jones' and Harrison's stock which is why I've offered alternatives to them both. Two other names I like as potential Patriots are Auburn's RB Corey Grant and Auburn's DT Angelo Blackson who is more of a NT than Leterrius Walton. Walton is the better all-round DT though.

love that Cassius Sendish pick. Still can't believe he's so under the radar.

@HawaiianPatsfan

I haven't had the chance to look at Darby yet. I'm looking forward to doing so now. I'm a big fan of PJ Williams though.

Yeah, Ive spent a lot of time since Tuesday looking for footage of him, and with what I've found, I've been really impressed. He has shut down written all over him. If he had better hands, he's have like 4x as many interceptions, which would more then likely put him in top 15 contention. I don't want to go as far as saying he could be like Revis, but I do think he has the ability and versatility to be very similar of a player. The holes he has in his game are holes that are easy to fix and easier to coach.

Yeah, Ive spent a lot of time since Tuesday looking for footage of him, and with what I've found, I've been really impressed. He has shut down written all over him. If he had better hands, he's have like 4x as many interceptions, which would more then likely put him in top 15 contention. I don't want to go as far as saying he could be like Revis, but I do think he has the ability and versatility to be very similar of a player. The holes he has in his game are holes that are easy to fix and easier to coach.

Btw, its extremely hard to find game tape of Darby. Ive basically resorted to watching tape of other FSU players. Its crazy how he never gets targeted. When tape from others actually shows him, its easy to see why. He's always in place, and QB's never even look his way. I went as far back as Telvin Smith & Lamarcus Joyner game tape from last year to see if i could get a glimpse.

If you happen to come up with any good footage, be sure to send it my way.

Last edited:

Assumption

Mock Draft

32 **Trade**

97. Marcus Hardison, DL, Arizona State or Rakeem Nunez-Roches, DT, Southern Miss

Some thoughts on this:

1. I agree that VW goes elsewhere. I'd still like to pick up Kenrick Ellis or Ahtyba Rubin in FA.

2. I've felt all along since he was released that Pierre Thomas made the most sense as a low-cost Vereen replacement.

3. I like all your picks. Not a surprise.

4. You left out Smelter.

5. I can't see Hardison lasting until 97. Any draft with Hardison works for me, but I'm putting him at 64 at this point.

Some thoughts on this:

1. I agree that VW goes elsewhere. I'd still like to pick up Kenrick Ellis or Ahtyba Rubin in FA.

2. I've felt all along since he was released that Pierre Thomas made the most sense as a low-cost Vereen replacement.

3. I like all your picks. Not a surprise.

4. You left out Smelter.

5. I can't see Hardison lasting until 97. Any draft with Hardison works for me, but I'm putting him at 64 at this point.

re Smelter: Would love to have him but we've discussed why Sendish is in my mock. With Gibson and maybe Stevie Johnson on the team I can pass on WR. Wait another year and then see where we are.

Re Hardison. I agree which is why I hedged with Nunez-Roches. I just had to go with CB and OL with the first two picks because I consider it our two biggest needs. They are also the positions that BB hasn't tried to fill in FA which suggests he's looking towards the draft for those positions.

I can see DT being filled anywhere from round 1 to round 7 on draft day, it's really hard to get a feel for where BB values the position. I think it's worth double-dipping at CB, OL and DL which is what I did in this mock and I just think it makes more sense to double dip at DT in the mid to late rounds because we need a starter at the other two positions, we don't necessarily need a starter at DT.

Great to see those numbers on Shaq arid duck. Could be a bargain I 5th or 6th. Almost 6'6" 244. 4,65 and good cone and split.

I think you're giving up too much to move from 64 to 52. 96 alone should do it.

I'll try one, including an optional wild card assumption, just for fun.

Assumptions:

1. The Pats sign another big DT - either Kenrick Ellis or Ahtyba Rubin.
2. The Pats sign Pierre Thomas as the 3rd down back replacement for Vereen.
3. The Pats trade for OG Evan Mathis. Say a 7th round pick in 2015 and a conditional 2016 late round pick.
4. The Pats sign LB Colin McCarthy as a Casillas replacement. Mike Loyko has suggested that this could still happen.

I'd still love to pick up Kenny Vaccaro and another EDGE player, but for now I'm keeping things simpler.

Optional Wild Card

The Pats get the #37 pick from the Jets for tampering. I know this won't happen, but it's fun. Anyone who wants to ignore it can simply assuming that the Pats trade back from 32 to 37, and skip my pick at 32.

The Draft

1(32). Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia. 6'1" 222#. Again, anyone who wants to can throw out my "wild card" and ignore this pick, assuming the Pats trade back from 32 to around 37 and pick up a 4th round pick which they later use to trade up.

2(37). Byron Jones, CB, Connecticut (6'1" 199#) or Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest (6'0" 188#). Both can play press-man and zone, and have the potential to develop into #1 CBs. PJ Williams could be an option, but I'm not convinced he has the speed or COD to be a #1 CB.

2(64). Marcus Hardison, DT/DE, Arizona St. 6'3" 307#. Hardison and Easley are my DL version of Hightower and Collins.

*** Trade: Pats trade up from 96 to the mid-70's, using their late 4th round pick.

Mid-3rd. Ali Marpet, OG, Hobart. 6'4" 307#. Mathis will lock down LG for a year or two, allowing Marpet to develop. I think he'll be a long term stud LG.

3(projected comp). Eric Rowe, CB, Utah (6'1" 205#). Big, physical press-man CB. Not quire Brandon Browner, but in that general direction. Ronald Darby might be an option if the Pats wanted a different kind of CB. This pick could also go on a RB (if you throw out the Gurley pick) if someone like David Johnson is available, with a 2nd DB being taken in the mid-4th round.

Early 4th (from TB). Donovan Smith, OL, Penn St. 6'6" 330#. Big mauler with light feet who can play tackle or guard. Cedric Ogbuehi could be an option if he falls, though I doubt he'll fall this far.

[Optional: Mid 4th, if you throw out the #32 pick and assume the Pats trade back from 32 instead. Use on the best available RB, or a CB if the Pats went RB with their 3rd round comp. Josh Shaw or Nick Marshall would be options at CB. David Cobb, Mike Davis or Buck Allen might be RB options.]

Early 6th (from TB). DeAndre Smelter, WR, Georgia Tech. 6'2" 222#. Red shirt him for 2015.

6 (projected comp). Max Valles, EDGE, Virginia. 6'5" 251#. Will compete with Buchanan and Moore.

Projected Roster

QB(2): Tom Brady, Jimmy Garoppolo
RB(4): Todd Gurley/4th round RB, LeGarrette Blount, Pierre Thomas, James White/Tyler Gaffney
FB/H-Back(1): James Develin
WR(5): Julian Edelman, Brandon LaFell, Danny Amendola, and 2 out of Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, Brandon Gibson, Brian Tyms and Kevin Dorsey; DeAndre Smelter to PUP/IR
TE(3): Rob Gronkowski, Scott Chandler, Tim Wright
OL(9): Nate Solder, Evan Mathis, Bryan Stork, Ryan Wendell, Sebastian Vollmer, Marcus Cannon, Cameron Fleming, Ali Marpet, Donovan Smith

"Big" DT(3): Sealver Siliga, Alan Branch, Kenrick Ellis/Ahtyba Rubin
DT/DE hybrids(2): Dominique Easley, Marcus Hardison
EDGE(7): Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Dont'a Hightower, Jamie Collins, Jabaal Sheard, 2 out of Michael Buchanan/Zach Moore/Max Valles
Off-Los LB(2): Jerod Mayo, Colin McCarthy
S(5): Devin McCourty, Pat Chung, Duron Harmon, Tavon Wilson, Nate Ebner
CB(6): Byron Jones/Kevin Johnson, Kyle Arrington, Malcolm Butler, Logan Ryan, Alfonzo Dennard, Eric Rowe

ST(4): Stephen Gostkowski, Ryan Allen, Danny Aiken/Tyler Ott, Matt Slater

I think that roster is as strong or stronger than 2014 at every position EXCEPT CB.

Last edited:
Great to see those numbers on Shaq arid duck. Could be a bargain I 5th or 6th. Almost 6'6" 244. 4,65 and good cone and split.

I think you're giving up too much to move from 64 to 52. 96 alone should do it.

"Shaq Arid Duck"

Auto-correct FTW!

Don't know what I was thinking about that trade - you are correct.

Assumptions:

3. The Pats trade for OG Evan Mathis. Say a 7th round pick in 2015 and a conditional 2016 late round pick.
4. The Pats sign LB Colin McCarthy as a Casillas replacement. Mike Loyko has suggested that this could still happen.

I'd still love to pick up Kenny Vaccaro and another EDGE player, but for now I'm keeping things simpler.

Optional Wild Card

The Pats get the #37 pick from the Jets for tampering. I know this won't happen, but it's fun. Anyone who wants to ignore it can simply assuming that the Pats trade back from 32 to 37, and skip my pick at 32.

The Draft

1(32). Todd Gurley, RB, Georgia. 6'1" 222#. Again, anyone who wants to can throw out my "wild card" and ignore this pick, assuming the Pats trade back from 32 to around 37 and pick up a 4th round pick which they later use to trade up.

2(37). Byron Jones, CB, Connecticut (6'1" 199#) or Kevin Johnson, CB, Wake Forest (6'0" 188#). Both can play press-man and zone, and have the potential to develop into #1 CBs. PJ Williams could be an option, but I'm not convinced he has the speed or COD to be a #1 CB.

2(64). Marcus Hardison, DT/DE, Arizona St. 6'3" 307#. Hardison and Easley are my DL version of Hightower and Collins.

*** Trade: Pats trade up from 96 to the mid-70's, using their late 4th round pick.

Mid-3rd. Ali Marpet, OG, Hobart. 6'4" 307#. Mathis will lock down LG for a year or two, allowing Marpet to develop. I think he'll be a long term stud LG.

3(projected comp). Eric Rowe, CB, Utah (6'1" 205#). Big, physical press-man CB. Not quire Brandon Browner, but in that general direction. Ronald Darby might be an option if the Pats wanted a different kind of CB. This pick could also go on a RB (if you throw out the Gurley pick) if someone like David Johnson is available, with a 2nd DB being taken in the mid-4th round.

Early 4th (from TB). Donovan Smith, OL, Penn St. 6'6" 330#. Big mauler with light feet who can play tackle or guard. Cedric Ogbuehi could be an option if he falls, though I doubt he'll fall this far.

[Optional: Mid 4th, if you throw out the #32 pick and assume the Pats trade back from 32 instead. Use on the best available RB, or a CB if the Pats went RB with their 3rd round comp. Josh Shaw or Nick Marshall would be options at CB. David Cobb, Mike Davis or Buck Allen might be RB options.]

Early 6th (from TB). DeAndre Smelter, WR, Georgia Tech. 6'2" 222#. Red shirt him for 2015.

6 (projected comp). Max Valles, EDGE, Virginia. 6'5" 251#. Will compete with Buchanan and Moore.

Projected Roster

RB(4): Todd Gurley/4th round RB, LeGarrette Blount, Pierre Thomas, James White/Tyler Gaffney
WR(5): Julian Edelman, Brandon LaFell, Danny Amendola, and 2 out of Aaron Dobson, Josh Boyce, Brandon Gibson, Brian Tyms and Kevin Dorsey; DeAndre Smelter to PUP/IR
OL(9): Nate Solder, Evan Mathis, Bryan Stork, Ryan Wendell, Sebastian Vollmer, Marcus Cannon, Cameron Fleming, Ali Marpet, Donovan Smith

EDGE(7): Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Dont'a Hightower, Jamie Collins, Jabaal Sheard,
CB(6): Byron Jones/Kevin Johnson, Kyle Arrington, Malcolm Butler, Logan Ryan, Alfonzo Dennard, Eric Rowe

I think that roster is as strong or stronger than 2014 at every position EXCEPT CB.

I'm fully on board with this mock. Can get right behind Todd Gurley in the first; I'm not going to mock him anymore because I see CB and OL as priority needs currently but I have zero negative thoughts about him being the pick.

By the way, you left Valles off your projected roster.

Assumptions:

Optional Wild Card

The Draft

Projected Roster

EDGE(7): Chandler Jones, Rob Ninkovich, Dont'a Hightower, Jamie Collins, Jabaal Sheard,

The Jets don't have a 5th or a 6th. I think the league will take their 7th rounder from them. And, let us swap 4th round picks with them. I can see cb, Hardison and a move up for Marpet. 96 and 102 gets you pretty high into the 3rd. If we trade for Mathis and move up for Marpet, I don't think we'll take another OL in 4th.

"Shaq Arid Duck"

Auto-correct FTW!

Don't know what I was thinking about that trade - you are correct.

I've dis-liked auto-correct before the internet! When you're in the military if you don't have a middle name. They put nmn in there on some documents. Stand for "no middle name." If I had a boy I wanted to make nmn his middle name. Zico would have been his first name after the Brazilian soccer player. Fortunately, we had a girl.

I'm fully on board with this mock. Can get right behind Todd Gurley in the first; I'm not going to mock him anymore because I see CB and OL as priority needs currently but I have zero negative thoughts about him being the pick.

By the way, you left Valles off your projected roster.

Thanks. I've made the correction.

Obviously, I doubt we'll get #37 from the Jets, but I thought it was instructive to kick the tires on a "what if?" scenario. It would work pretty well even if we got #70 from the Jets:

- Trade back from 32 to around 40 or so and hopefully get one of Byron Jones, Kevin Johnson or PJ Williams, getting an extra 4th
- Take Hardison at 64
- Trade up from 70 using the extra 4th and get one of Tevin Coleman, David Johnson or Ameer Abdullah
- Trade up from 96 using our own 4th and grab Marpet

I could live with Coleman/Abdullah/Johnson instead of Gurley, though Gurley is still my ideal scenario.

I'm obviously not counting on getting anything, but it's fun to spin "what if" scenarios.

In that scenario, I really do think we'd be as good or better at every position EXCEPT for CB:

- QB: Brady shouldn't have much dropoff, and Garoppolo would have a year in the system
- RB: Add any of the above RBs to a group including LeGarrette Blound and Pierre Thomas plus some depth and we'd have a top RB group
- TE/H-Back: Gronk is Gronk; Wright would have a full offseason and year under his belt; Chandler is a big upgrade form Hooman; Develin is a solid FB/H-Back
- WR: LaFell has a year under his belt, and Amendola was finally starting to gel; hopefully we get something out of Dobson or Boyce, but if not they have some competition at the back of the depth chart
- OL: Big upgrade with Connolly -> Mathis; Stork and Fleming have a full season under their belts; Marpet and Smith would be a major infusion of talent

- DT: Branch would have a full offseason, Siliga would hopefully be healthy, and Rubin/Ellis could replace what Wilfork gave us
- Hybrid DT/DE: A healthy Easley with a full offseason plus Hardison would be a huge upgrade
- EDGE: Probably our strongest positional group, with the addition of Sheard; Collins is still improving
- Off-LOS LB: Mayo back and the addition of McCarthy would be huge
- S: The same as 2014 (unless we traded for Vaccaro)

CB would obviously be far weaker in the short term. The question would be whether the improved front 6/7 plus scheme could compensate for most of the dropoff. In the long term it could be strong, or else we would have the cap space to make a run at a FA CB in 2016 (though most of the top press-man guys are tied up long term).

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back