PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2015 NFL Mock Drafts

Seems some of the OL prospects I were high on have fallen a little. That is too bad. I was hoping for better talents this draft at the OL spots. Oh well. Still the same philosophy though unless a FA is signed.

#32 Cameron Erving - OT/OG/C - This pick stays the same. Too much versatility and athetism to pass up if he falls. However, If someone falls here that should not or is in range for a small jump up using a 3rd round pick then I might pass on him and go for a better overall player. Such players would be Landon Collins - S, Trae Waynes - CB, Danny Shelton - DT (the more I read about him the more I think his pass rush for a man his size is very impressive and a bit like Wilfork). If they do pick one of these guys though than picking a OL man with pick #2 becomes all the more important as I want no less than 1 instant starting OL from this draft class.

-TRADE- #64 & the TB 4th-

#51 - Aire Kouandjio - G

#96 - Durell Eskridge - SS (unless traded... then pick him with your compensatory pick)

3rd comp - Dres Anderson - WR (he injured his knee so he slips this far I think).

4th - Trade away for next year

6th - TE - TBD but a very good blocker

6th comp - LB - TBD but a special teams ace

7th - Pick the best injured player available for value.

Last edited:
Quick tweak to include some new declarations. Same assumptions as previously, with one twist:

- Pats trade their early 4th from TB to New Orleans for S Kenny Vaccaro. I don't know if this is a possibility, but Vaccaro has been benched twice this season and could be on the outs. I think he'd excel in the "star" role as a S/LB/slot CB with Devin McCourty to guard the deep part of the field. I'd explore this trade, and if it somehow happened then he would be an upgrade from Pat Chung.

With that provision:

*** Trade: Pats trade back from the first round to the early 2nd round , and pick up a 4th round pick.

2a. Jordan Phillips - DT- Oklahoma. 6'6" 334#. I'd still be interested in trading up for Eddie Goldman, but Phillips is very intriguing as a Wilfork successor. He has terrific athleticism for his size.

*** Trade: Pats use the extra 4th they acquired to trade up in the 2nd round.

2b. Maxx Williams - TE - Minnesota. 6'4" 250#. Can play as both an in-line and as a move TE.

3. Jeremiah Poutasi - OL - Utah. 6'6" 320#. Tackle/guard prospect with a ton of upside.

3 (comp). Noah Spence - DE/OLB - Ohio St. 6'3" 255#. Fits perfectly into the hybrid defense.

[4 (from TB). Traded for Kenny Vaccaro. Otherwise traded into 2016.]

4. Robert Miles - OL - Tennessee St. 6'5" 310#.

6 (from TB). DeAndre Smelter - WR - Georgia Tech. 6'3" 222#.

6 (comp). Best available RB or DB.

6 (from Tenn). Tre McBride - WR - William & Mary. 6'1" 205#.

Quick tweak to include some new declarations. Same assumptions as previously, with one twist:

- Pats trade their early 4th from TB to New Orleans for S Kenny Vaccaro. I don't know if this is a possibility, but Vaccaro has been benched twice this season and could be on the outs. I think he'd excel in the "star" role as a S/LB/slot CB with Devin McCourty to guard the deep part of the field. I'd explore this trade, and if it somehow happened then he would be an upgrade from Pat Chung.

With that provision:

*** Trade: Pats trade back from the first round to the early 2nd round , and pick up a 4th round pick.

2a. Jordan Phillips - DT- Oklahoma. 6'6" 334#. I'd still be interested in trading up for Eddie Goldman, but Phillips is very intriguing as a Wilfork successor. He has terrific athleticism for his size.

2b. Maxx Williams - TE - Minnesota. 6'4" 250#. Can play as both an in-line and as a move TE.

3. Jeremiah Poutasi - OL - Utah. 6'6" 320#. Tackle/guard prospect with a ton of upside.

3 (comp). Noah Spence - DE/OLB - Ohio St. 6'3" 255#. Fits perfectly into the hybrid defense.

I really like that one, full of binkies. Already preparing for the inevitable heartbreak.

Now if we could also add James Carpenter in FA this would be close to ideal.

EDIT:

I wonder if the 3rd you spend on Poutasi combined with the Vaccaro 4th would be enough to trade up into the second once more to take Danielle Hunter with 2a and the others with 2b and 2c (and Poutasi with the compensatory pick).

With that provision:

Calling Dr Mayo, calling Dr Mayo...are you advocating taking Philips to eventually replace VW at NT or just replacing VW. Because with the easley pick it seemed like BB was moving away from the classic 3-4 alighnment.just curious

I really like that one, full of binkies. Already preparing for the inevitable heartbreak.

Now if we could also add James Carpenter in FA this would be close to ideal.

If we added Carpenter in FA then we probably wouldn't need 2 rookie linemen, and I might try to trade up for Goldman. But there are lots of guys I like, on all 3 days of the draft. Right now there are around 12-15 guys who I'd be happy to consider with our 1st pick, including trade up and trade back scenarios:

- OL TJ Clemmings
- OL Brandon Scherff
- OL La'el Collins
- OL Cameron Erving
- Possibly OL Ty Sambrailo or Ereck Flowers
- TE Maxx Williams
- DT Eddie Goldman
- DT Malcolm Brown (not yet declared)
- DT Jordan Phillips
- DE/OLB Bud Dupree
- DE/OLB Dante Fowler
- DE/OLB Danielle Hunter (not yet declared)
- DE/OLB Shilique Calhoun (not yet declared)
- LB Bernardrick McKinney

Calling Dr Mayo, calling Dr Mayo...are you advocating taking Philips to eventually replace VW at NT or just replacing VW. Because with the easley pick it seemed like BB was moving away from the classic 3-4 alighnment.just curious

I think there's plenty of room for a run-stopping DT with athleticism in our defense, whether in base or sub. As Andy Johnson has noted, BB seems to be evolving the defense with the goal of being able to stop the run out of sub. Having an athletic guy who can do more than be a space eater would be an excellent way to start.

Huge fan of that, not sure why he's benched but he's animal, would fit well in Chung's role if Chung takes the money and leaves

Huge fan of that, not sure why he's benched but he's animal, would fit well in Chung's role if Chung takes the money and leaves

I'm not sure if it's realistic, but you never know. Mark Barron for a 4th and 6th would have seemed outlandish at the beginning of the season. Vaccaro's been benched twice, and if Rob Ryan doesn't stay on in New Orleans then I think all bets are off. I structured my mock so that if the trade doesn't happen, the Pats re-sign Chung and trade that 4th round pick from TB forward into 2015.

If Barron was a 4th then vacarro should be about a 6th.

Noah spence got banished by the big 10 for drugs. If not for that he'd be somewhat of a reach in the top 100.

If Barron was a 4th then vacarro should be about a 6th.

Other way around. Vaccaro can play in space and can play multiple roles, Barron's just an in the box safety.

Noah spence got banished by the big 10 for drugs. If not for that he'd be somewhat of a reach in the top 100.

The drug issue is an obvious and legitimate concern, and needs to be checked out. The talent is most definitely top 100.

Brandon Scherff + Malcolm Brown would be terrific, though I don't think it's realistic to get both. Rashad Greene is interesting, and would be good value in the 3rd. I'd like a rotational pass rusher, and I don't understand the Sean Mannion pick, but overall it's darn good.

I want no part of Vaccaro on the Pats. I do not think he can bring anything more than Harmon or Wilson. At least the last 2 I feel confident that they will do what they are told.
After rewatching the Duke-Zona state game I am all in on Laken Tomlinson and Hardison. Hardinson was around the ball carrier almost every run, I think he ended with 12 tackles. I would love if those were our 2 4th rounders.

they have denver winning the sb and US taking a WR in the first. no crdeibility with BB taking a wide out in rnd one
They have never been "tops" on my list, but I **** you not this site hase been around Forever. I've been following this site since at least '98. This site (PatsFans) wasn't even created until Mar 2000.

Fact.

Don't think I'd want Vaccaro. I'm ok with Chung. He is not lights out but he is not a huge liability either.

Shaq Thompson on the other hand would be the most ideal replacement for Chung. Probably the biggest playmaker in this draft.

I want no part of Vaccaro on the Pats. I do not think he can bring anything more than Harmon or Wilson. At least the last 2 I feel confident that they will do what they are told.
After rewatching the Duke-Zona state game I am all in on Laken Tomlinson and Hardison. Hardinson was around the ball carrier almost every run, I think he ended with 12 tackles. I would love if those were our 2 4th rounders.

Did you see the play where Hardison chased a runner about forty yards downfield and made the tackle? Plus effort.

I did not see that play but I plan on watching it again and focusing on him. The first time I watched I focused on Douglas and Tomlinson.

Just watched the Arkansas-Texas game and Trey Flowers is going to a solid pass rusher in the NFL. I saw very flexible hips to turn the corner, but he sometimes came out of his stance high. Very high effort on almost every play but seemed to beat the T's on speed and strength rather than using moves. He would be a solid LDE for us.

I love this time of the year.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back