Josue Matias G
Justin Hardy WR
Andy Gallik G/C
Preston Smith DE
Ramilk Wilson LB
Grady Jarrett DT
McCoyle Pruitt TE
Trey DePriest LB

My current in depth off season. This is going to be very involved with the idea of hitting 145M or less. Right now according to Miguel the Pats cap commitments are 144M for next year (1M bonus for Brady is not updated yet) so i am focusing on being cap neutral basically in these moves. Also this only factors in amounts paid in 2015 as contracts tend to change from year to year a lot.

#1 Restructure Revis to a contract extension (4 years/56M+the 5M of dead money) 2015 savings of 7M
#2 Restructure Wilfork from 9M to 6.5M - Savings of 2.5M
#3 Restructure Mayo from 10M to 8M. Savings of 2M
#4 Cut Amendola. Savings 4.5M
#5 Cut Dennard. Savings 1.5M
#6 Cut Hooman. Savings 1.4M

Total cap savings about 19M Lets assume that is what we have to spend. I am leaving Solder out of this cause I am unsure of what I want to do with him right now.

#1 Sign McCourty - 7M
#2 Sign Gost - 3M (it can be this low if you sign him for 6 years which i think they should).
#3 Sign Ayers - 3M
#4 Sign Siliga - 2M (a long term deal if he bites)

Everyone else including Chung, Casillas, Bolden, ect... Will be close to the minimum so call it 3M total.

Let Walk.

Vereen (this hurts a bit but I think someone has to walk and you can't keep everyone I think).
Ridley
Connolly (Again this hurts and i see people claim we will have the money but I don't see it and he is replaceable).

Draft

#1 Cameron Erving - OT/C/G - Can step in for Connolly day 1 if need be. Also if things go bad with Solder you have him.
#2 (trade up with your 2nd and 4th) Matias/Kouandjio - G - A replacement for Wendell/Connolly.
#3 Devin Smith - WR - Has great vertical speed but I see some bust potential so a low third is as high as I'd like to go. He might be able to give us the best deep threat we have had since Moss and I don't trust Dobson to come back. If he does not work out no harm done as you still have Lafell/Edelman
#3comp - Durell Eskridge - SS - A young tall Safety with lots of upside but is raw as he was a first year starter. Take a shot on the upside.
#4 - Clive Walford - TE - a blocking TE with some catching potential. A better version of Hooman.

I am not going to do the rest of the draft as I expect them all to be cut or traded away.

Roster

Offense 25

QB - 2 - Brady Gara
WR - 6 - Lafell Edelman Smith* Tyms Dobson Slater
RB/FB - 5 - Grey Blount Gaffney/White/FA/Draft pick Develin Bolden
OL - 9 - Solder Erving* Stork Kouandjio* Vollmer Fleming Wendell Cannon Kline(or whoever)
TE - 3 - Gronk Wright Walford*

Defense 25

DT - 5 - Wilfork Branch Easley Siliga Jones
DE - 4 - Jones Nink Ayers Moore
LB - 5 - Mayo Collins Hightower Casillas Fleming
CB - 5 - Revis Browner Arrington Butler Ryan
S - 6 - McCourty Chung Eskridge* Wilson Ebner Harmon

STs 3

Gost, Allen, new LS cause I don't like Aiken.

The line up with make your OL fairly beastly come 2016 playoffs. The only question is which RB will catch your passes. Between White/Gaffney/whoever I think you will find someone decent enough and with the (hopefully) improved WR depth and TE depth it shouldn't be much of an issue to lose something there. It will not matter though as the OL upgrades the entire offense.

The defense is basically the same as last year. You might end up cutting a Safety for a LB depending how it shacks out. Also I project Butler to step up. Last game against the Bills with him on Watkins convinced me he is worth believing in for being a contributor next year.

The pass rush will be fine if Easley has the 2nd year I think he can and we keep Ayers. Also Collins I think is due for an all pro year and will be making QBs wet themselves when he blitzs.

One thing to consider is who will return punts as I don't want Edelman doing it and Amendola in my projection is gone. It is a fairly minor issue though and I am not worried about it.

Last edited:
Ive been watching Oakman play against the Spartans, i'm totally un-imressed. He looks lazy, no motor, goes down easily and is being blocked one on one by the spartans LT. No help required. Appears to me to have a hard to getting into a three point stance because hes so tall, and when hes used as a stand up rusher he has no burst. Now ive never seen him before, and there is another half coming up, but from what ive seen i wouldn't spend a 1st rnd pick on him. His teammates hager and little look a lot better.

My current in depth off season. This is going to be very involved with the idea of hitting 145M or less. Right now according to Miguel the Pats cap commitments are 144M for next year (1M bonus for Brady is not updated yet) so i am focusing on being cap neutral basically in these moves. Also this only factors in amounts paid in 2015 as contracts tend to change from year to year a lot.

#1 Restructure Revis to a contract extension (4 years/56M+the 5M of dead money) 2015 savings of 7M
#2 Restructure Wilfork from 9M to 6.5M - Savings of 2.5M
#3 Restructure Mayo from 10M to 8M. Savings of 2M
#4 Cut Amendola. Savings 4.5M
#5 Cut Dennard. Savings 1.5M
#6 Cut Hooman. Savings 1.4M

Total cap savings about 19M Lets assume that is what we have to spend. I am leaving Solder out of this cause I am unsure of what I want to do with him right now.

#1 Sign McCourty - 7M
#2 Sign Gost - 3M (it can be this low if you sign him for 6 years which i think they should).
#3 Sign Ayers - 3M
#4 Sign Siliga - 2M (a long term deal if he bites)

Everyone else including Chung, Casillas, Bolden, ect... Will be close to the minimum so call it 3M total.

Let Walk.

Vereen (this hurts a bit but I think someone has to walk and you can't keep everyone I think).
Ridley
Connolly (Again this hurts and i see people claim we will have the money but I don't see it and he is replacement).

Draft

#1 Cameron Erving - OT/C/G - Can step in for Connolly day 1 if need be. Also if things go bad with Solder you have him.
#2 (trade up with your 2nd and 4th) Matias/Kouandjio - G - A replacement for Wendell/Connolly.
#3 Devin Smith - WR - Has great vertical speed but I see some bust potential so a low third is as high as I'd like to go. He might be able to give us the best deep threat we have had since Moss and I don't trust Dobson to come back. If he does not work out no harm done as you still have Lafell/Edelman
#3comp - Durell Eskridge - SS - A young tall Safety with lots of upside but is raw as he was a first year starter. Take a shot on the upside.
#4 - Clive Walford - TE - a blocking TE with some catching potential. A better version of Hooman.

I am not going to do the rest of the draft as I expect them all to be cut or traded away.

Roster

Offense 25

QB - 2 - Brady Gara
WR - 6 - Lafell Edelman Smith* Tyms Dobson Slater
RB/FB - 5 - Grey Blount Gaffney/White/FA/Draft pick Develin Bolden
OL - 9 - Solder Erving* Stork Kouandjio* Vollmer Fleming Wendell Cannon Kline(or whoever)
TE - 3 - Gronk Wright Walford*

Defense 25

DT - 5 - Wilfork Branch Easley Siliga Jones
DE - 4 - Jones Nink Ayers Moore
LB - 5 - Mayo Collins Hightower Casillas Fleming
CB - 5 - Revis Browner Arrington Butler Ryan
S - 6 - McCourty Chung Eskridge* Wilson Ebner Harmon

STs 3

Gost, Allen, new LS cause I don't like Aiken.

The line up with make your OL fairly beastly come 2016 playoffs. The only question is which RB will catch your passes. Between White/Gaffney/whoever I think you will find someone decent enough and with the (hopefully) improve WR depth and TE depth it shouldn't be much of an issue to lose something there. It will not matter though as the OL upgrades the entire offense.

The defense is basically the same as last year. You might end up cutting a Safety for a LB depending how it shacks out. Also I project Butler to step up. Last game against the Bills with him on Watkins convinced me he is worth believing in for being a contributor next year.

The pass rush will be fine if Easley has the 2nd year I think he can and we keep Ayers. Also Collins I think is due for an all pro year and will be making QBs wet themselves when he blitzs.

One thing to consider is who will return punts as I don't want Edelman doing it and Amendola in my projection is gone. It is a fairly minion issue though and I am not worried about it.

Tremendous Presentation!!
beer.gif

There is much that I disagree with, but that doesn't matter ~ this is your Vision, and you put it together in an easily understandable and digestible way. Props!!

I'm continuing a developing annual Tradition, this Year, of creating a "BackDraft" Thread ~ a Final Exam, if you will: As soon as The Draft ends on May 2nd, but before Memorial Day ~ because that's when OTA's start happening ~ everyone who wishes to is invited to submit their OffSeason MasterPlans in one Thread, which I ~ and anyone else who wishes to ~ will take the responsibility of tracking, with a mind towards tracking our MasterPlans over the Years, to our general Amusement!! :D

If one simply wishes to submit a BackDraft without the complete OffSeason MasterPlan, great: Whoever wishes to play can make it as simple or as complex as they wish. It's all in Good Fun. :p

Here's last Year's BackDraft Thread. I hope you'll play this Year, Brother Bob. Love your Work.

I'm continuing a developing annual Tradition, this Year, of creating a "BackDraft" Thread ~ a Final Exam, if you will: As soon as The Draft ends on May 2nd, but before Memorial Day ~ because that's when OTA's start happening ~ everyone who wishes to is invited to submit their OffSeason MasterPlans in one Thread, which I ~ and anyone else who wishes to ~ will take the responsibility of tracking, with a mind towards tracking our MasterPlans over the Years, to our general Amusement!! :D

If one simply wishes to submit a BackDraft without the complete OffSeason MasterPlan, great: Whoever wishes to play can make it as simple or as complex as they wish. It's all in Good Fun. :p

Here's last Year's BackDraft Thread. I hope you'll play this Year, Brother Bob. Love your Work.

I've thought about your backdraft exercise quite a bit of the course of this season, Brother Grid. Given how the Stork and Fleming picks (and I still expect Easley to be a stud) and the Chung, Wright, Ayers, Casillas and Branch moves have panned out, it's hard to say that anyone could have done better than BB this past year. I look forward to this year's exercise.

Last edited:
Here's my incredibly unrealistic offensive mock draft.

1st pick: maxx Williams - I have the feeling he's gonna rise to a late first pick by draft time.

2nd round pick: Todd gurley- he's someone who I think can give us a very dependable back so we don't have to rely on Brady solely to make this offense go.

3rd round: dorial beckam green- i think giving Brady a talent like DGB can really transform this offense into what it was in 2007.( along with the other two players ahead of him.)

At this point we use the remaining picks to take the BPA.

Now being realistic I'm hoping Scherff or Ronnie Stanley are available at where we are choosing in the draft. If neither of them are then i would hope for the best DT or edge rusher available.

Did this on a draft simulator didn't write the trades down

Cameron Erving G/T
Josue Matias G
Justin Hardy WR
Andy Gallik G/C
Preston Smith DE
Ramilk Wilson LB
Grady Jarrett DT
McCoyle Pruitt TE
Trey DePriest LB

Three interior linemen is interesting. I'm not convinced Erving is worth a pick so high as an OT although he absolutely is on the interior of the OL.

I'm not sure what assumptions you're making here, but it's worth pointing out that signing bonuses can only be prorated over five years, even if the contract runs longer.

Last edited:
Three interior linemen is interesting. I'm not convinced Erving is worth a pick so high as an OT although he absolutely is on the interior of the OL.

Well my thought process on this one was Connolly and Wendell are obviously not the long term and Bill knows he can't go into next season with Kline and Devey as the interior depth.

With Connolly and Wendell not in the future plans they will lose the depth at guys who can play C. Erving and Gallik solve that while also improving the interior depth.

Matias and Erving would be the Gs in waiting But also maybe they see what they have with Erving at LT with Solder's future unknown after 2015.

Fleming seems like he could be the RT of the future given Vollmer will be 31 going into next season and has a history of injury including the back. Which in '16 he will be 32 and Pats could free up $4.5m in space if cut. Mankins was 32 and freed up $2m more so it seems like a very possible scenario.

Then there is an unrated thing of Erving, Matias, and Stork having played together before.

Belichick retooled the defense over basically 2 drafts. Maybe he retools the OL over 2 drafts.

So for arguments sake say that's how it plays out.

Solder?-Matias-Stork-Erving-Fleming

Depth-
Gallik- G/C
Cannon- Swing Tackle
???- G

Well my thought process on this one was Connolly and Wendell are obviously not the long term and Bill knows he can't go into next season with Kline and Devey as the interior depth.

With Connolly and Wendell not in the future plans they will lose the depth at guys who can play C. Erving and Gallik solve that while also improving the interior depth.

Matias and Erving would be the Gs in waiting But also maybe they see what they have with Erving at LT with Solder's future unknown after 2015.

Fleming seems like he could be the RT of the future given Vollmer will be 31 going into next season and has a history of injury including the back. Which in '16 he will be 32 and Pats could free up $4.5m in space if cut. Mankins was 32 and freed up $2m more so it seems like a very possible scenario.

Then there is an unrated thing of Erving, Matias, and Stork having played together before.

Belichick retooled the defense over basically 2 drafts. Maybe he retools the OL over 2 drafts.

So for arguments sake say that's how it plays out.

Solder?-Matias-Stork-Erving-Fleming

Depth-
Gallik- G/C
Cannon- Swing Tackle
???- G

Fair enough. In this scenario I'd be tempted to switch Matias and Erving. Erving's LT feet suit him best at LG I think. But that's minor.

Here's my incredibly unrealistic offensive mock draft.

1st pick: maxx Williams - I have the feeling he's gonna rise to a late first pick by draft time.

2nd round pick: Todd gurley- he's someone who I think can give us a very dependable back so we don't have to rely on Brady solely to make this offense go.

3rd round: dorial beckam green- i think giving Brady a talent like DGB can really transform this offense into what it was in 2007.( along with the other two players ahead of him.)

At this point we use the remaining picks to take the BPA.

Now being realistic I'm hoping Scherff or Ronnie Stanley are available at where we are choosing in the draft. If neither of them are then i would hope for the best DT or edge rusher available.

Who is going to give the ball to those players once Brady has been killed because our OL was ignored in the first three rounds ?

Nevertheless.. I think it is more probable that Maxx Williams will be available at the end of the second round than Gurley still being available there or DBG at the end of the third round.

I love how Maxx Williams has appeared on everyone's mock draft. Don't get me wrong he'd be on mine too

I'll assume that Revis is gone, and they sign Eddie ROYAL WR, and Clint BOLING G (if he's cheap enough)
resign Branch, Ayers, Chung, Vereen, Mccourty

1. Trade DOWN for mid 2nd and 4th and 5th

2a. Jake FISHER, OT Oregon
2b. Trey FLOWERS DE Arkansas
3a. Chuckie HUNTER DL TCU (bigger version of Easley with better knees)
3s. Tony LIPPETT WR/CB Michigan State
4t. trade into next year and 6th
4a. Shaquille MASON G G Tech
4b. Malcolm BROWN RB Texas
5a. Josh SHAW CB/S USC
5b. (from Jets for tampering) Stephone Anthony LB Clemson
6. Tre McBride WR- W&M
6. Nick Boyle TE - Delaware
7. Charles Tuaau - DT Texas A&M Commerce

I'll assume that Revis is gone, and they sign Eddie ROYAL WR, and Clint BOLING G (if he's cheap enough)

5a. Josh SHAW CB/S USC
6. Tre McBride WR- W&M

Shaq Mason sighting. Nice.

I'd like to see a little bit more of a wow! player with the first pick, but that's a really solid mock. Good job.

5a. Josh SHAW CB/S USC
6. Tre McBride WR- W&M

If we don't re-up Revis, we can't wait until the 5th round and go CB. We've got to go back to the cb trough in the first. If he tests out at the combine. Maybe, Q. Rollins out of Miami, Oh. Football is becoming basketball on fake grass. Why not get some basketball players to defend those jump balls. They wouldn't give us the pick for tampering with Revis. Might take one from them. Or, I'd just like to to see Goodell say that the Jets are not allowed to sign him now. Lippett got torched yesterday. He's got a long way to go in order to help at cb.

If we don't re-up Revis, we can't wait until the 5th round and go CB. We've got to go back to the cb trough in the first. If he tests out at the combine. Maybe, Q. Rollins out of Miami, Oh. Football is becoming basketball on fake grass. Why not get some basketball players to defend those jump balls. They wouldn't give us the pick for tampering with Revis. Might take one from them. Or, I'd just like to to see Goodell say that the Jets are not allowed to sign him now. Lippett got torched yesterday. He's got a long way to go in order to help at cb.

To be fair, Josh Shaw was considered a first round CB until his suspension.

5a. Josh SHAW CB/S USC
6. Tre McBride WR- W&M
Love the fisher pick in the second.

I've been watching tape on devin funchess. Where do you see him excelling at? I know he split time at WR and TE, but I think he's better suited for playing TE. I'm torn between him and maxx Williams right now. Who do you guys like and why?

I know Interior OL is our biggest need, but I'll be shocked if BB drafts one first round. It is a position you can get good value from day 3 of the draft (Stork and Urshel from Baltimore)

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
Back